USMB Coffee Shop IV

Snow....forgotten what it's like to deal with it on a daily basis instead of hopping in the car and driving up to the Lagunas to throw snowballs at each other.
Last year's weekly snow storms were unusual for us. We don't deal with it on a daily basis either. Cold, yes.
Arapaho Ski Basin is set to open today though we have had some record high temps over the last couple of days. Most of the rest should open soon.

I absolutely love White River National Forest! My grandparents used to take us kids every time we traveled across the country. We always visited during the summer but I bet it is positively marvelous during the winter. I am not much of skier though, I'm like a cow on crutches once I put skis on.
I used to ski Breckenridge and Keystone back when I was able to ski, now I just look at a bunny slope and think, if only....... :lol:

I stick with tubing and having cocktails by the fire in the lodge nowadays. Give me a book, a stiff belt, and a seat by the fire. I'll let by more daring friends hit the slopes during our yearly trip to the Poconos.
When I was stationed in Texas, I brought a friend from there home to NY for Christmas one year....she had never been north of San Antonio before. Took her to Bristol Mtn and tried to teach her skiing......that lasted about 1/2 hour when she couldn't get up and little 6 year olds were shoooshing past her. :lol: Spent the rest of the day in the bar.

Double-news day.

The good news is that dear friends of mine are celebrating their combined 96th birthday (he's now 51, she is now 44), because they were born on the same day. It doesn't happen every day that you have a married couple where the partners were born on the same day. They are throwing an OKTOBERFEST party that will go until about 1 am. Should be fun!

The bad news is that my dog can no longer walk. She collapsed and I and my daughter carried her to the vet. He gave the dog a cortisone spray and also detected a pretty massive infection in one ear, so he cleaned out the ear and shot her full of antibiotics. She will also get a small pain pill for the next 8 days. The dog needs to go outside every four hours or so now, so a friend will come by to carry the pooch outside during the Oktoberfest. The vet is only about 50% hopeful that this will help prolong my pooch's life, but my feeling is very strong that I will be putting the dog down within the next two weeks. She is obviously in pain and is becoming quite demented. It's a heart-breaker, but it looks like her time has now come. This is hard for my daughter, but also a valuable life's lesson.

Aw Stat. So sorry. We have had to have so many of our beloved furry companions put down over the years and each one is just as hard to do as the last. But there comes a time when they have no quality of life left and it is the thing to do. And yes, kids take is as hard as we adults do but they also have a tremendous capacity for capacity and understanding. They understand that people understand their pain and can deal with it but dogs, cats, horses etc. can't. And they can understand why it is a loving thing to do to end their needless suffering. But understanding helps us deal with the grief of losing them but doesn't ease it.

Arapaho Ski Basin is set to open today though we have had some record high temps over the last couple of days. Most of the rest should open soon.

I absolutely love White River National Forest! My grandparents used to take us kids every time we traveled across the country. We always visited during the summer but I bet it is positively marvelous during the winter. I am not much of skier though, I'm like a cow on crutches once I put skis on.
I used to ski Breckenridge and Keystone back when I was able to ski, now I just look at a bunny slope and think, if only....... :lol:
I know....I miss being young and doing those things. IF only they'd has snowboards back then.
Snowboards were just becoming popular as I reached the end of my skiing days, call me old fashioned but I never wanted to use one. I loved Keystone, had a 3200 foot vertical drop, a gondola that went all the way to the top and some great moguls on a couple of runs.
The main reason I stopped skiing wasn't age related, it was living out east with very few good ski areas nearby and just too busy with life, plus I had become seriously involved with reenacting and living history. Took most of my off time and discretionary spending.
Ooooo! What kind of reenacting? I do Ren Faires.
I did Civil War and WWII. Started out as a Confederate but my very first reenactment I "galvanized" as a Federal, eventually I was commanding a brigade on the field before joining the Stonewall Brigade as a lowly private again the eventually switching over to the 4th US Regulars (Federal). From there I was talked into doing WWII, 2nd Gebirgsjager (Wehrmacht) which I did for another 10 years before moving out to Colorado. Now I'm looking to do some Fur Trade era and post Civil War western impressions (living history) if life will stop getting in the way........

I know....I miss being young and doing those things. IF only they'd has snowboards back then.
Snowboards were just becoming popular as I reached the end of my skiing days, call me old fashioned but I never wanted to use one. I loved Keystone, had a 3200 foot vertical drop, a gondola that went all the way to the top and some great moguls on a couple of runs.
The main reason I stopped skiing wasn't age related, it was living out east with very few good ski areas nearby and just too busy with life, plus I had become seriously involved with reenacting and living history. Took most of my off time and discretionary spending.
You too? I made my own hauberk and coif. I've been seen riding to the Ren Fest on my Harley in maile with a broadsword strapped to my back.

I do get looks from people, at least until I'm close to the festival

I'll be wearing it (for a while, it does weigh 30 pounds) for Halloween this year so I'll have pictures.

You too? I made my own hauberk and coif. I've been seen riding to the Ren Fest on my Harley in maile with a broadsword strapped to my back.

I do get looks from people, at least until I'm close to the festival

I'll be wearing it (for a while, it does weigh 30 pounds) for Halloween this year so I'll have pictures.
I actually considered doing Saracen at medieval fairs.

I stopped because a lot of my friends were beginning to take some hard falls and I thought it was age related. Mid 30s.

I had taken a couple of falls myself and didn't really want to break something. :) I found some tamer sports to do.
Cross-country skiing is fun and a great aerobic workout. One of the things I love most about it, is the quiet in the forest, if you find an area that is not a popular spot, otherwise there are too many skiers to feel that solidarity, I so crave.

I stopped because a lot of my friends were beginning to take some hard falls and I thought it was age related. Mid 30s.

I had taken a couple of falls myself and didn't really want to break something. :) I found some tamer sports to do.
Cross-country skiing is fun and a great aerobic workout. One of the things I love most about it, is the quiet in the forest, if you find an area that is not a popular spot, otherwise there are too many skiers to feel that solidarity, I so crave.
We've gone cross country in Canada many times. I like the quiet too. It's quite a workout too!

What's funny is when I was doing Confederate there were a few times making runs to 7-11 for ice, beer, etc I was asked if I was Amish....... :lol:
One of the most hilarious events was at Monmouth, NJ. Walking through the camp as people were setting up when this one guy looked up and in a classic Brooklyn accent said; "Hey, Youz guys rebs? Weez rebs too....." On the last day the band was playing Dixie and around the corner comes this woman, again in a classic NY accent; "Woah Dixie, my favorite swong!" :lmao:

Last year's weekly snow storms were unusual for us. We don't deal with it on a daily basis either. Cold, yes.

I stick with tubing and having cocktails by the fire in the lodge nowadays. Give me a book, a stiff belt, and a seat by the fire. I'll let by more daring friends hit the slopes during our yearly trip to the Poconos.
When I was stationed in Texas, I brought a friend from there home to NY for Christmas one year....she had never been north of San Antonio before. Took her to Bristol Mtn and tried to teach her skiing......that lasted about 1/2 hour when she couldn't get up and little 6 year olds were shoooshing past her. :lol: Spent the rest of the day in the bar.

I'll meet you in the bar with a hot buttered rum waiting ....

So I'm reading over the posts for the last 12 hours or so and am reminded again what interesting people come to the Coffee Shop.

So many of us live in interesting places not just because of the area or whatever but because of the life we are able to lead where we are. And looking at Ringel's photos of the Colorado mountains and GW's photos from his place in Alaska makes me sad that both are considering giving up those great views in favor of new adventures, but the new adventures are exciting too.

Where else in the world would you have conversations like we've had over the last day everything from Sherry being made Coffee Czar at her workplace......a good Coffee station has more than just coffee I think but I'm guessing anything Sherry takes on will be done very well. . . .

And I am guessing every one of us has had to give up a beloved furry companion at some point and can relate to what Stat is facing. . . .

And socks or Ivory soap for restless leg syndrome? I related that to Hombre who suffers from that particular condition and he is very skeptical I'll have to say. But hey, if it works. You can read any medical article on any medical website and they will tell you there is no evidence of any medicinal benefit to wearing a copper bracelet, but it works for me. I get severe arthritic hand cramps if I don't wear my copper bracelet and they are much less frequent and much less severe when I do plus I am convinced it helps relieve other arthritis related aches and pains too. I figure if it works, then it works!

I can relate to those of you dreading the oncoming winter. I am looking forward to it as I tolerate our comparatively mild winters much better than summer heat. Of course it helps that we are now retired and don't have to get out and commute or work in inclimate weather.

So daughter decided to stay an extra day and we're enjoying that a lot.....she will depart in the morning. Hombre just about has our breakfast ready--I'm so lucky to have a guy who likes to cook breakfast. :)

Well hello, Coffee Shoppers! It's the old wistful Nosmo King back to tell another story. Grab a seat. We'll have s'mores later!

The autumn leaves are at their peak this week. So long as we can hold off the rain, they should cling to the branches a little bit longer. Apple cider is spectacular right now! The cool, wet summer has produced a bumper crop of apples and the cider presses are turning full tilt.

The family is just fine. Mom is doing well in spite of a bout of higher than usual blood pressure. Daisy the Mutt won first prize at a little local dog show. Her 'stick 'em up! BANG!' trick sealed the deal.

As we approach Halloween my informal and unscientific poll of children's candy preference reveals that boys want Sweet Tarts, Gummi Bears and chewing gum in their Trick-or-Treat pokes while girls want lollipops, but especially chocolate. It must be an X chromosome thing.

Back in 1997, one of my oldest and dearest friends lost his Mother to cancer. She died peacefully on October 27. She was buried on Halloween day.

Now, that particular year winter came early. On October 30, we got four inches of heavy, wet snow. Trick-or-Treat featured kids dressed up in costumes masks and face paint all obscured by winter parkas and mittens.

But the funeral that day was the point of the story.

I was tapped to be a pall bearer. If you have ever been a pall bearer, you know what I am talking about, but if you haven't, here's the low down on that task. It is an honor to be asked. It means the family of the departed trusts you enough to perform a sacred rite for their lost relative. But know this: caskets are heavy. I've seen scenes of pall bearers resting a coffin (the six sided box, not the refrigerator sized chest used most commonly around here) on their shoulders and solemnly marching toward the hearse or grave. That kind of carrying cannot be done with a traditional casket.

Rather, the handles on the sides of the casket are gripped firmly while the opposite hand is usually thrust out to achieve some kind of balance. Take a good look at the faces of the pall bearers and you will notice each of them wincing as they shuffle along. After a few steps, every pall bearer instantly realizes that the weight, coupled with the gravity of the situation (no pun intended) means that every last ounce of dignity must be brought to bear (pun intended) so that the occasion does not lose its air of solemnity.

So, here I am, last on the right, hoisting my friend's mother's casket from the hearse. Her grave was prepared, the Episcopal priest and immediate family were gathered under a dark green canopy. Mourners were arranged in a semi circle. All eyes were on the casket.

Remember how I told you that four inches of heavy wet snow was on the ground? The cemetery workers did not shovel a path from the drive to the grave. Oh. That grave was two third the way up a steep slope. And, to make the matter even more challenging, the autumn leaves had been knocked off the trees by the snow storm and were buried beneath the icy wet snow. And I was wearing dress shoes with smooth leather soles.

Should I finish the story now and let your imaginations fill in the details? Could your imaginations come up with a scenario more embarrassing that the truth? Let me dispel one image that, by now, has surly come to your minds. No, the casket did not pop open. Yes, eventually the six of us managed to get a grip, buck up and successfully deliver her to her final rest. But yes, I was not the only one of the six to slip and fall, but I was the one to have the casket pin my ankle to the ground as it fell from our grasps.

It truly is a thankless job being a pall bearer. And one that does not include Worker's Compensation coverage for accidents.

Happy Halloween, everybody!

I'll meet you in the bar with a hot buttered rum waiting ....

Hot buttered rum...:eusa_drool:

Not a fan of okra 'cept in gumbo.

Tell you what... If you have a couple hours to spare while you're in Fairhope, take a ride to Foley and stop by Doc Holliday's. I'd love to have you try Max's bushwhackers or even his bloody Marry. They come with pickled okra, even.

You live in Alabama and you don't like fried Okra? How have you managed to get by?

I prefer rural to city life myself. Where we are is a compromise since Mrs Te would probably divorce me if I suggested that we live in the boonies. We are surrounded by preserved farmlands but can be in NYC or Philly within an hour or so.
I'm in the boonies in that I'm the last house on a dead end road. Convenience store a mile and a half one way, a small grocery, hardware. farmer's Co-op 2 miles the other way. 5 miles to Win-Dixie 6 to Wall mart and 9 to the Gulf.
If I need more, Pensacola is 25 miles east and Mobile 40 miles to the west. If I get hungry, New Orleans is 2 hours away. If I want a casino, Biloxi is 90 miles.

I would be quite happy living there, Ernie, but Mrs Te would most definitely divorce me! :D

Where we do live was part of a farm and on the edge of the woods. We can sit outside in the evening and unless a cop sets off his siren or a train going by on the track a mile away blows it's horn all we hear are the birds. Oh, and we have a lot of birds. All kinds of birds from finches to eagles. There are flamingoes on the lake and New Jersey geese everywhere. They used to be called Canadian geese but I think that so many generations have been born in the USA they are now permanent residents. They even have their own Geese Police to keep them off the golf course and school playing fields.

I've driven through the rural areas of New Jersey and New York.....such beautiful sights. I would love to have a house out in that area, but, I don't know that I can stand that much cold weather............:ack-1:

Tell you what... If you have a couple hours to spare while you're in Fairhope, take a ride to Foley and stop by Doc Holliday's. I'd love to have you try Max's bushwhackers or even his bloody Marry. They come with pickled okra, even.

You live in Alabama and you don't like fried Okra? How have you managed to get by?
I'm viewed with suspicion and will likely never be asked to join the Klan, but I'll live with it. (and without okra)

I prefer rural to city life myself. Where we are is a compromise since Mrs Te would probably divorce me if I suggested that we live in the boonies. We are surrounded by preserved farmlands but can be in NYC or Philly within an hour or so.
I'm in the boonies in that I'm the last house on a dead end road. Convenience store a mile and a half one way, a small grocery, hardware. farmer's Co-op 2 miles the other way. 5 miles to Win-Dixie 6 to Wall mart and 9 to the Gulf.
If I need more, Pensacola is 25 miles east and Mobile 40 miles to the west. If I get hungry, New Orleans is 2 hours away. If I want a casino, Biloxi is 90 miles.

I would be quite happy living there, Ernie, but Mrs Te would most definitely divorce me! :D

Where we do live was part of a farm and on the edge of the woods. We can sit outside in the evening and unless a cop sets off his siren or a train going by on the track a mile away blows it's horn all we hear are the birds. Oh, and we have a lot of birds. All kinds of birds from finches to eagles. There are flamingoes on the lake and New Jersey geese everywhere. They used to be called Canadian geese but I think that so many generations have been born in the USA they are now permanent residents. They even have their own Geese Police to keep them off the golf course and school playing fields.

I've driven through the rural areas of New Jersey and New York.....such beautiful sights. I would love to have a house out in that area, but, I don't know that I can stand that much cold weather............:ack-1:

We have central heating up here! :D Just ask Spoonman. He does his the hard way by chopping up wood.

Well hello, Coffee Shoppers! It's the old wistful Nosmo King back to tell another story. Grab a seat. We'll have s'mores later!

The autumn leaves are at their peak this week. So long as we can hold off the rain, they should cling to the branches a little bit longer. Apple cider is spectacular right now! The cool, wet summer has produced a bumper crop of apples and the cider presses are turning full tilt.

The family is just fine. Mom is doing well in spite of a bout of higher than usual blood pressure. Daisy the Mutt won first prize at a little local dog show. Her 'stick 'em up! BANG!' trick sealed the deal.

As we approach Halloween my informal and unscientific poll of children's candy preference reveals that boys want Sweet Tarts, Gummi Bears and chewing gum in their Trick-or-Treat pokes while girls want lollipops, but especially chocolate. It must be an X chromosome thing.

Back in 1997, one of my oldest and dearest friends lost his Mother to cancer. She died peacefully on October 27. She was buried on Halloween day.

Now, that particular year winter came early. On October 30, we got four inches of heavy, wet snow. Trick-or-Treat featured kids dressed up in costumes masks and face paint all obscured by winter parkas and mittens.

But the funeral that day was the point of the story.

I was tapped to be a pall bearer. If you have ever been a pall bearer, you know what I am talking about, but if you haven't, here's the low down on that task. It is an honor to be asked. It means the family of the departed trusts you enough to perform a sacred rite for their lost relative. But know this: caskets are heavy. I've seen scenes of pall bearers resting a coffin (the six sided box, not the refrigerator sized chest used most commonly around here) on their shoulders and solemnly marching toward the hearse or grave. That kind of carrying cannot be done with a traditional casket.

Rather, the handles on the sides of the casket are gripped firmly while the opposite hand is usually thrust out to achieve some kind of balance. Take a good look at the faces of the pall bearers and you will notice each of them wincing as they shuffle along. After a few steps, every pall bearer instantly realizes that the weight, coupled with the gravity of the situation (no pun intended) means that every last ounce of dignity must be brought to bear (pun intended) so that the occasion does not lose its air of solemnity.

So, here I am, last on the right, hoisting my friend's mother's casket from the hearse. Her grave was prepared, the Episcopal priest and immediate family were gathered under a dark green canopy. Mourners were arranged in a semi circle. All eyes were on the casket.

Remember how I told you that four inches of heavy wet snow was on the ground? The cemetery workers did not shovel a path from the drive to the grave. Oh. That grave was two third the way up a steep slope. And, to make the matter even more challenging, the autumn leaves had been knocked off the trees by the snow storm and were buried beneath the icy wet snow. And I was wearing dress shoes with smooth leather soles.

Should I finish the story now and let your imaginations fill in the details? Could your imaginations come up with a scenario more embarrassing that the truth? Let me dispel one image that, by now, has surly come to your minds. No, the casket did not pop open. Yes, eventually the six of us managed to get a grip, buck up and successfully deliver her to her final rest. But yes, I was not the only one of the six to slip and fall, but I was the one to have the casket pin my ankle to the ground as it fell from our grasps.

It truly is a thankless job being a pall bearer. And one that does not include Worker's Compensation coverage for accidents.

Happy Halloween, everybody!

I can just see it Nosmo. Hope nobody got hurt. And I wondered how many were valiantly stifling their smiles and giggles watching it.

I'm viewed with suspicion and will likely never be asked to join the Klan, but I'll live with it. (and without okra)

Well I wouldn't want you to join the Klan, but I honestly don't know how anybody can call himself an honest to goodness southerner and not love fried okra.

Well I wouldn't want you to join the Klan, but I honestly don't know how anybody can call himself an honest to goodness southerner and not love fried okra.
I'm really not interested in hanging out with a few 90 year olds who only meet at funerals. The Klan is all but dead here. Yes the "N" word is used here, but no more often than up north.

Okra doesn't taste all that bad to me. It's the way it feels in my mouth; like something I should be spitting out.

My steps kids grandma is being buried Saturday. It is on the ex husband's side of the family. This woman was pretty neat. My wife was just dating me when she needed a place to live. This lady let her move in with her for about 9 months. She was gone to Florida for about 5-6 months of that time, but still. I was over there often and got to know her. 98 with memory issues, so it was time.

Forum List

Back