USMB Coffee Shop IV

Most of our fall colors are long gone now.
Was thinking about this this morning, when we go to bed we turn the heat down to 62 degrees, when we wake up it's usually comfortable in the house at that temp though we will turn it up to 64 but as the day progresses we keep having to up the temp until it hits 70 degrees in the late afternoon, early evening. When it's running in the evening it's warm, after the heat shuts off it gets cool quickly....... Sooooo, why am I comfortable at 62 in the morning but chilly at 70 in the evening........? :dunno:

It's a three hour sit and watch. But well worth it. And worth waiting until you can rent or Netflix it. A great narrative metaphor for humankind and our place in the cosmos.

Okay that's it. I'm out of rabbit tricks to keep the Coffee Shop the haven it was intended to be and it seems we have too few left who understand what it was supposed to be to make it viable. And I'm not willing to see it dissolve into another Flame Zone insult thread. So with a great deal of sadness, I am going to ask that it be closed later today.

We've had a great run and I was looking forward to our fifth anniversary, but like I said last night. If you see that a war won't be won, at some point you just have to stop fighting it. We were able to weather the little spats that flared up from time to time before, but oh well. We weathered the full blown attacks on us, but oh well.

Those who want to stay in touch, PM me your e-mail addresses. I have them for a lot of you and those who have entrusted me with them know I will not share them with anybody without your express written permission.

Those of you who have made the Coffee Shop a great place to hang out, you have my respect, affection, and appreciation. Those who hung out with us through thick and thin, thank you. I will miss meeting you here but hope to stay in contact in the other forums. Those who moved on, it was good to get to know you. And those who seemed gung ho to destroy what we have had here, congratulations and I'm sure you'll all glad hand each other and celebrate. You win.

I really do love you guys. But it is time to move on.
I've not been posting much the past few weeks either here or elsewhere on the board, so I don't know what brings this about.

But, I say keep The Coffee Shop open.

1238183_644613232249703_761004249_n.jpg

A gold star for the first one who gets this. :)

Today, work arranged for some members of the VFW to come to our corporate campus and perform a ceremonial flag raising on the flagpole at our main campus building. It began at 1:00. The flagpole is in front of the entrance to the building There is a grass circle approximately 100 feet across with the flagpole in the center. Around that is a paved drive for people to drive up to the front of the building to load or unload passengers. At 1:00, there was approximately 500 people standing outside waiting for the raising of the flag. All were standing to the outside of the paved drive that circles the grass. One of the gentlemen from the VFW walked to the flagpole and asked all the veterans to come onto the grass. We all left the crowd and stepped onto the grass and formed a semi-circle around the flagpole. Men and women alike, ages from probably 25 to 70, standing shoulder to shoulder in a semi-circle and facing the flagpole. I didn't do a count, but estimate that there was between 65 and 75 people. The Honor Guard delivered the flag to the pole and attached it to the ropes. As they began to hoist the flag I raised my arm in salute. At the end, all the men from the VFW walked the entire line and shook every persons hand and thanked them for their service.

After the ceremony was over and I got back to my desk, one of my coworkers came by and he asked me something. He said, "What was the signal for all of you to salute? I didn't hear anybody say anything, but every one of you on the grass saluted at the exact same time." I hadn't noticed that because I was looking at the flag and the Honor Guard. I told him the only signal was the flag being raised. He said it looked almost orchestrated because we all saluted at the same time. The law that allows for military veterans to salute the hoisting of the flag (as active military do) was passed in 2008. I find it interesting that every one of us on that grass knew that.

Every company that one works for has good and bad things about it. The fact that today, my employer arranged for a Veterans Day ceremony (as they do every year), shows that there are some very positive things about the company culture. Today was a good day.

Today, work arranged for some members of the VFW to come to our corporate campus and perform a ceremonial flag raising on the flagpole at our main campus building. It began at 1:00. The flagpole is in front of the entrance to the building There is a grass circle approximately 100 feet across with the flagpole in the center. Around that is a paved drive for people to drive up to the front of the building to load or unload passengers. At 1:00, there was approximately 500 people standing outside waiting for the raising of the flag. All were standing to the outside of the paved drive that circles the grass. One of the gentlemen from the VFW walked to the flagpole and asked all the veterans to come onto the grass. We all left the crowd and stepped onto the grass and formed a semi-circle around the flagpole. Men and women alike, ages from probably 25 to 70, standing shoulder to shoulder in a semi-circle and facing the flagpole. I didn't do a count, but estimate that there was between 65 and 75 people. The Honor Guard delivered the flag to the pole and attached it to the ropes. As they began to hoist the flag I raised my arm in salute. At the end, all the men from the VFW walked the entire line and shook every persons hand and thanked them for their service.

After the ceremony was over and I got back to my desk, one of my coworkers came by and he asked me something. He said, "What was the signal for all of you to salute? I didn't hear anybody say anything, but every one of you on the grass saluted at the exact same time." I hadn't noticed that because I was looking at the flag and the Honor Guard. I told him the only signal was the flag being raised. He said it looked almost orchestrated because we all saluted at the same time. The law that allows for military veterans to salute the hoisting of the flag (as active military do) was passed in 2008. I find it interesting that every one of us on that grass knew that.

Every company that one works for has good and bad things about it. The fact that today, my employer arranged for a Veterans Day ceremony (as they do every year), shows that there are some very positive things about the company culture. Today was a good day.

Heart warming story Alan. I should give you two gold stars for that. :)

All the best GW. Moving is hell. :)
Fact! I am not looking forward to leaving Alaska. I am uniquely situated at this time, though. I've been living in this 28' travel trailer for 7 years now, so all I really have to do is hook up to the truck and away I go. Unfortunately, I have a lot of valuable property stored in various locations. That's why I built the new storage place in Willow. It's already looking pretty full. It isn't just sorting and storing things, there are a lot of other small issues to take care of before leaving...like, finding new situations for my goats. I have to clean up this property, too. At least I have allowed myself just around a year to get this all done. The other issue that concerns me is, when should I start looking for a new job? The job situation up here is pretty good, but I understand it is not so in other places. A buddy of mine just moved back up after two years in FL because there were no jobs available.
So if you're living around Willow, then you're virtually just a hop, skip and a jump away from Wasilla and Sarah Palin. Is that the air port right there in Willow that you've been working at? Any earth quakes? How are the mosquitoes around there? I watched a new, two hour long episode of "Finding Bigfoot" on the Animal Planet channel tonight, and the mosquitoes were worse than anything I've ever seen or heard of before in my life. That would be a deal breaker I think for me as far as living up there. I hate those little blood suckers with a passion, and they just love my type O- blood.
Wasilla is about a 20-30 minute drive from my place. I actually work at the main airport in Anchorage (Ted Stevens International). Since the price of fuel has skyrocketed, I only get to spend weekends and off time at my place in Willow. Otherwise, I'm camped at a friend's place about 30 miles from Anchorage. But since I like my "heavies", and working on big Boeings pays more than working on little Cessnas, I persevere.
Mosquitoes...a mixed bag. I've been places where you stand downwind of a smoky campfire because they don't like the smoke. Yes, it makes breathing difficult, but you'd be sucking down bugs anyway. I've been up on the North Slope when you could be coated with a writhing black blanket of the damned nuisances, too. I have found that eating lots of garlic and Vitamin B helps, though. I remember one field exercise up near Fairbanks. It was July, rained every afternoon. But that area gets way to muggy and hot to sleep in a tent. So, I would use my poncho as a shelter and arrange a mosquito net underneath. I swear, the danged 'sqitoes would make a coordinated effort to jump in unison, just to get that net close enough to bite me through it.

What a super story, Alan. And thank you for your service!

Fact! I am not looking forward to leaving Alaska. I am uniquely situated at this time, though. I've been living in this 28' travel trailer for 7 years now, so all I really have to do is hook up to the truck and away I go. Unfortunately, I have a lot of valuable property stored in various locations. That's why I built the new storage place in Willow. It's already looking pretty full. It isn't just sorting and storing things, there are a lot of other small issues to take care of before leaving...like, finding new situations for my goats. I have to clean up this property, too. At least I have allowed myself just around a year to get this all done. The other issue that concerns me is, when should I start looking for a new job? The job situation up here is pretty good, but I understand it is not so in other places. A buddy of mine just moved back up after two years in FL because there were no jobs available.
So if you're living around Willow, then you're virtually just a hop, skip and a jump away from Wasilla and Sarah Palin. Is that the air port right there in Willow that you've been working at? Any earth quakes? How are the mosquitoes around there? I watched a new, two hour long episode of "Finding Bigfoot" on the Animal Planet channel tonight, and the mosquitoes were worse than anything I've ever seen or heard of before in my life. That would be a deal breaker I think for me as far as living up there. I hate those little blood suckers with a passion, and they just love my type O- blood.
Wasilla is about a 20-30 minute drive from my place. I actually work at the main airport in Anchorage (Ted Stevens International). Since the price of fuel has skyrocketed, I only get to spend weekends and off time at my place in Willow. Otherwise, I'm camped at a friend's place about 30 miles from Anchorage. But since I like my "heavies", and working on big Boeings pays more than working on little Cessnas, I persevere.
Mosquitoes...a mixed bag. I've been places where you stand downwind of a smoky campfire because they don't like the smoke. Yes, it makes breathing difficult, but you'd be sucking down bugs anyway. I've been up on the North Slope when you could be coated with a writhing black blanket of the damned nuisances, too. I have found that eating lots of garlic and Vitamin B helps, though. I remember one field exercise up near Fairbanks. It was July, rained every afternoon. But that area gets way to muggy and hot to sleep in a tent. So, I would use my poncho as a shelter and arrange a mosquito net underneath. I swear, the danged 'sqitoes would make a coordinated effort to jump in unison, just to get that net close enough to bite me through it.

Ewww. I haven't had a mosquito bite in years.....and we frequently have our front door, sans screen, standing wide open on a summer night. The only place really REALLY bad for mosquitos that I have been was in Plainview TX--on Hombre and my very first date I think I counted 33 mosquito bites from sitting at the drive-in movie in a hardtop convertible with all the windows down that night. And one summer we vacationed in Minnesota where the mosquitos get big enough to saddle and they have dubbed them the state bird.

But what you are describing sounds worse. I don't remember any mosquitos when we were vacationing in Alaska and we spent a lot of time in the Talkeetna area in August then. Were we just lucky?

Heart warming story Alan. I should give you two gold stars for that. :)
See Ms Foxy (not to toot my own horn), but it's posts like that that make The Coffee Shop what it is. Ollie, Big Black Dog, you and a hundred other people share heart warmers here.
Keep The Coffee Shop open.

Weather is chilly and bright blue sun glaring sky stares down on us.

Went and saw "Interstellar." What an amazing movie. The science nerds will have their fun with. As narrative and metaphor, it makes one think about man and the universe.

Nolan has made some very good movies, so I'm interested in Interstellar. It's been getting some mixed reviews from critics, but I rarely put a lot of stock in 'professional' reviews. I'm not sure I'll see it in the theater though, I rarely do that.
I rarely pay attention to the critics, as well. If I'm interested enough, I'll watch a movie and make the judgment for myself. A recommendation that science nerds might approve intrigues me, I must admit.

Ewww. I haven't had a mosquito bite in years.....and we frequently have our front door, sans screen, standing wide open on a summer night. The only place really REALLY bad for mosquitos that I have been was in Plainview TX--on Hombre and my very first date I think I counted 33 mosquito bites from sitting at the drive-in movie in a hardtop convertible with all the windows down that night. And one summer we vacationed in Minnesota where the mosquitos get big enough to saddle and they have dubbed them the state bird.

But what you are describing sounds worse. I don't remember any mosquitos when we were vacationing in Alaska and we spent a lot of time in the Talkeetna area in August then. Were we just lucky?
Mosquito population varies greatly depending on how much rain, and where you are. The North Slope is always infested. In June, when my girls were up here, the mosquitos were bad enough that the granddaughters chose to spend most of their time indoors, reading and playing games. I am allergic to DEET so had to find a non-deet alternative. Again, consuming copious quantities of garlic helps. Later in the year, like August, it's the biting flies (we call them whitesocks) that are the biggest nuisance.

4:30 and already dark here. At least we aren't cold...well, relatively speaking. It's still above freezing (36F) and muddy! I seem to have missed some kind of dust up here, but will urge a continuation of the CS. While I have been here seldom lately, I still consider it a refuge from some of the less...nice...places on the internets, and on USMB.

Forum List

Back