USMB Coffee Shop IV

My big old iMac desktop computer has crashed and burned. I may have been the reason for it. I downloaded the new OS for it and I'm afraid the old girl wasn't up for the new technology. I then began to play around deleting files and stuff that I thought would make it run better. Now, it won't do anything. It will turn on but nothing else. I've unplugged it and have it sitting on the kitchen table. I will move it over to the south house and put it with all the other computers over there that have been moved to the computer grave yard. I've been thinking about getting a new computer for a while so maybe I will do that before too much longer. In the mean time, I'm using my trusty laptop.

My big old iMac desktop computer has crashed and burned. I may have been the reason for it. I downloaded the new OS for it and I'm afraid the old girl wasn't up for the new technology. I then began to play around deleting files and stuff that I thought would make it run better. Now, it won't do anything. It will turn on but nothing else. I've unplugged it and have it sitting on the kitchen table. I will move it over to the south house and put it with all the other computers over there that have been moved to the computer grave yard. I've been thinking about getting a new computer for a while so maybe I will do that before too much longer. In the mean time, I'm using my trusty laptop.

I've never used a Mac......can you reformat it like you would a PC?

I will say though that there is a glimmer of hope showing on the horizon. Every now and then, I am catching the concept of melody in a new song and think the worm might be turning back in that direction. I simply refuse to believe that there are no great strong melodies that have not yet been written.

I think the tremendous success of the few good new songs that have been written and do have compelling melodies like Phillip Phillips "Home" or Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" are maybe inspiring a return to strong melodies and strong lyrics?

I think you are talking about a limited selection of music. I'm certain there is plenty of melody and harmony in music made today. Not enjoying it is not the same as a lack of melody. ;) Besides which, there is a whole lot more music than what you might hear on the radio....finding good music can be a long, arduous process, but it's available. youtube can be helpful, but you do need to find a way to search for what you're looking for, and there's a lot to wade through.

I never listen to the radio for myself (although I do hear plenty of modern country in the car when doing things with the little one; my employer listens to that stuff) but I still find new bands to listen to now and again on youtube.

I still remember back in the 1980's when I bought my first computer--a Compaq Presario which was a 486. We paid around $2,000 for it and were amazed at what it could do and thought it was all the computer we could possibly ever need. AOL, at $3/hour, opened up the world of the internet to us and we entered the modern high tech age.

We bought my current computer a couple of years ago. It has power to burn, all the bells and whistles, 8 gigs of ram and a terabyte of hard drive space. As a black Friday special, it cost us about $200. You can buy something comparable for not a whole lot more than that.

Moring !

funny-animals-190.jpg

I will say though that there is a glimmer of hope showing on the horizon. Every now and then, I am catching the concept of melody in a new song and think the worm might be turning back in that direction. I simply refuse to believe that there are no great strong melodies that have not yet been written.

I think the tremendous success of the few good new songs that have been written and do have compelling melodies like Phillip Phillips "Home" or Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" are maybe inspiring a return to strong melodies and strong lyrics?

I think you are talking about a limited selection of music. I'm certain there is plenty of melody and harmony in music made today. Not enjoying it is not the same as a lack of melody. ;) Besides which, there is a whole lot more music than what you might hear on the radio....finding good music can be a long, arduous process, but it's available. youtube can be helpful, but you do need to find a way to search for what you're looking for, and there's a lot to wade through.

I never listen to the radio for myself (although I do hear plenty of modern country in the car when doing things with the little one; my employer listens to that stuff) but I still find new bands to listen to now and again on youtube.

I already mentioned a couple of what I consider good new songs. But you see, I don't want to HAVE to hunt for good ones among hundreds of really bad ones. I want to be able to tune to a music station in the car or tune in on a concert on TV and immediatley hear wonderful new songs like we used to be able to do. And I don't want to have to sit through a bunch of bad stuff until they finally give me something that sounds like music to my ears.

I've never used a Mac......can you reformat it like you would a PC?
If he has an old copy of the OS (that was replaced) then he could reload that, do a fresh install. He could check with Crapple to see if the older version he had is available for download.

Actually like Metallica;

That's actually the first of the 'bad' Metallica albums. Before that they were one of the best heavy metal bands of the 90s. Their previous album, ...And Justice For All, was arguably their best work. But with the black album, they started to change from the thrash metal band they were to more of a hard rock band. Maybe they 'sold out' for money/popularity, maybe they were just getting older and changed musical styles, but the net effect is they were and are a lesser band.

Now Testament, another 90s thrash band.....they actually got heavier as they got older! :D

Don't like thrash metal, never did guess that's why I like the one I posted so in my estimation they got better........ :D

I already mentioned a couple of what I consider good new songs. But you see, I don't want to HAVE to hunt for good ones among hundreds of really bad ones. I want to be able to tune to a music station in the car or tune in on a concert on TV and immediatley hear wonderful new songs like we used to be able to do. And I don't want to have to sit through a bunch of bad stuff until they finally give me something that sounds like music to my ears.

There are a lot more choices in music today than there were in the past. Maybe the radio plays crappier music, too, I don't know. :p I do know that I don't like a whole lot of modern music....but I didn't like a whole lot of older music, either. I think you are less unhappy with modern music and more unhappy with modern radio. :lol:

Actually like Metallica;

That's actually the first of the 'bad' Metallica albums. Before that they were one of the best heavy metal bands of the 90s. Their previous album, ...And Justice For All, was arguably their best work. But with the black album, they started to change from the thrash metal band they were to more of a hard rock band. Maybe they 'sold out' for money/popularity, maybe they were just getting older and changed musical styles, but the net effect is they were and are a lesser band.

Now Testament, another 90s thrash band.....they actually got heavier as they got older! :D

Don't like thrash metal, never did guess that's why I like the one I posted so in my estimation they got better........ :D

I started with hair metal, one of the two first albums I ever owned was Metal Health from Quiet Riot. I was a big Motley Crue fan for years. But then I moved on to thrash type stuff in the 90s, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc. Oddly enough, I also became a big Tori Amos fan in the 90s. :lmao:

I moved on further from there to death metal, but I'm pretty sure no one else who frequents the CS would listen to any of that. I do love The Doors, thanks to my father! :D

There are a lot more choices in music today than there were in the past. Maybe the radio plays crappier music, too, I don't know. :p I do know that I don't like a whole lot of modern music....but I didn't like a whole lot of older music, either. I think you are less unhappy with modern music and more unhappy with modern radio. :lol:

No, I don't think so because I'm aware of what's out there and I have a LOT of exposure to it. But again, everything isn't everybody's cup of tea. And I'm sure the new stuff sounds good to a lot of the kids and younger set these days or there wouldn't be any profit in making it available.

Actually like Metallica;

I started with hair metal, one of the two first albums I ever owned was Metal Health from Quiet Riot. I was a big Motley Crue fan for years. But then I moved on to thrash type stuff in the 90s, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc. Oddly enough, I also became a big Tori Amos fan in the 90s. :lmao:

I moved on further from there to death metal, but I'm pretty sure no one else who frequents the CS would listen to any of that. I do love The Doors, thanks to my father! :D

Born in the 50s, grew up in the 60s and graduated HS in 72. Hated the Stones and the Doors and today most of what was released in the 60s and 70s I don't like anymore. Loved Queen, liked Van Halen, hated old style Country but most of what I listen to today is modern Country but I'm not limited to that genre, like big band, jazz, blues, etc.

Modern country, what I hear of it, seems more like rock with a little twang (when it even has that!) to me. :lol:

I've never liked the Stones. One of the more overrated rock bands of that era IMO. Queen has a few good songs and obvious talent, but they were never to my taste. Van Halen was always fine. I remember The Devil Went Down To Georgia fondly, and that's about the extent of my listening to older country. :rofl:

Nowadays I tend to listen to somewhat older stuff, but when I do find new music I like, it's usually somewhere in the metalcore genre (or so I think....I find that musical genres change too often for me to pay attention :)).

Okay, since most of us are having a musical walk down memory lane this morning, take the test and see what your 1970's anthem is. (Mine kicked me all the way back to the 1960's and the Four Seasons. :))

What Is Your 70 s Anthem

The Eagles are my favorite band.:thup:

Rhythmically unique, reflective, and widely considered to be one of the best songs of all time, The Eagle's HOTEL CALIFORNIA shares a lot in common with you. The song's slow and intrinsically hypnotizing composition gives off vibes of mystery, curiosity, and longing - all wrapped in a classy pseudo-southwestern package. The journey it describes is a lot like your own - a life of opened and closed doors... A mixed bag of emotions that leaves you with the phrase "it gets better" as you try to decipher whether certain elements of your life are of heaven or hell. We're willing to be this song already speaks to you, and if it didn't before we hope it does now.

Forum List

Back