USMB Coffee Shop IV

Needs to find better scripts or subject matter. Of course offbeat may just mean no box office too.
Look at his (and in that case most actors) list of work, nobody hits a home run every time they step up to the plate.
He's done some great work in many other lesser known movies even when he was not the "star". Heck I don't like everything he's done....... Pretty par for the course. :dunno:

Depp has never been what people might call a typical actor, he's always taken chances with "off" characters and "experimental" roles, many have been bombs some have given him amazing success. He's done many that were never remotely close to being blockbusters but were good movies in and of themselves. The biggest problem facing actors is continuously being cast in roles similar to ones that made them famous, as indicated in Ernie's post, Depp isn't into that and is still willing to take chances which is the problem for Depp now as everyone (movie goers) sees him as Captain Jack Sparrow and expect that type of character to manifest itself in all his roles.
The way many actors have overcome that role casting is to disappear from the public view or a few years before returning to the big screen, obviously Depp isn't doing that.

Johnny Depp was brilliant in the "Pirates" series but it did somewhat type cast him. But he is a versatile actor. My favorite all time role for him was as Roux in "Chocolat" which is also one of my all time favorite movies.

Needs to find better scripts or subject matter. Of course offbeat may just mean no box office too.
Look at his (and in that case most actors) list of work, nobody hits a home run every time they step up to the plate.
He's done some great work in many other lesser known movies even when he was not the "star". Heck I don't like everything he's done....... Pretty par for the course. :dunno:

But I think you do relate in some kind of cosmic way to his Captain Jack Sparrow character. That avatar you are using today was the one you were using when I first got to know you on USMB. And I thought how appropriate it was for your on line persona then and I still feel that way now. :)

It's still raining here, has been since early last night.
It's one of those light rains that soak into the ground and not the hard gushers that we are used to.
It's really nice to see it rain all night and all day like this, we rarely see this here in the desert.
It's a treat to us. :biggrin:

Depp has never been what people might call a typical actor, he's always taken chances with "off" characters and "experimental" roles, many have been bombs some have given him amazing success. He's done many that were never remotely close to being blockbusters but were good movies in and of themselves. The biggest problem facing actors is continuously being cast in roles similar to ones that made them famous, as indicated in Ernie's post, Depp isn't into that and is still willing to take chances which is the problem for Depp now as everyone (movie goers) sees him as Captain Jack Sparrow and expect that type of character to manifest itself in all his roles.
The way many actors have overcome that role casting is to disappear from the public view or a few years before returning to the big screen, obviously Depp isn't doing that.

Johnny Depp was brilliant in the "Pirates" series but it did somewhat type cast him. But he is a versatile actor. My favorite all time role for him was as Roux in "Chocolat" which is also one of my all time favorite movies.
He was great as Benny in Benny and Joon, was the only saving grace (other than the sexy visual of Selma Hayek, for guys) in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Did an awesome job in Dead Man, a strange, strange movie and loved him as the Mad Hatter. Yup, he'll always be remembered by most as Captain Jack Sparrow and yes I do identify with that character in a lot of ways but I always liked the anti-hero hero, also why I identify with Val Kilmers Doc Holiday another flawed human who occasionally does the right thing even if it's for less than altruistic reasons.

Now I'm wondering if you all would be more surprised if I met you as a hooman or a cat...

We know your human because cats don't have thumbs in order to type.
Unless you are one of those that have 6 or seven digits.
Humm................
Just kidding, we know your human. :)

I liked all those Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I have them all on bluray. Highly entertaining I'd say.

Well, I've been on the phone all morning locked in mortal combat with Verizon because of the massive number of dropped calls here at home. The problem is the phone by default locks on to the nearest Verizon signal, but that is a tower that's probably 25 miles away, so the signal is in the toilet. When it sees that this tower isn't working it finally switches over a US Cellular tower just two miles behind me where Verizon has leased space and put up dishes, and then the signal is fantastic. There appears to be no cure for this problem. Tech support has worked on it for three weeks now to no avail. So, they told me I need a "network extender," which is actually my own little tower. Evidently it hooks up to my cable internet and my home calls will actually go over that instead of a tower in the area. Well, it better work, because the damn extender was $175 even after a $75 discount. I hope it works, or it's time to go back to US Cellular, which I actually don't want to do. The Verizon 4G LTE is outstanding.

Now I'm wondering if you all would be more surprised if I met you as a hooman or a cat...

We know your human because cats don't have thumbs in order to type.
Unless you are one of those that have 6 or seven digits.
Humm................
Just kidding, we know your human. :)

Maybe I am just really good with a mouse....

Well, I've been on the phone all morning locked in mortal combat with Verizon because of the massive number of dropped calls here at home. The problem is the phone by default locks on to the nearest Verizon signal, but that is a tower that's probably 25 miles away, so the signal is in the toilet. When it sees that this tower isn't working it finally switches over a US Cellular tower just two miles behind me where Verizon has leased space and put up dishes, and then the signal is fantastic. There appears to be no cure for this problem. Tech support has worked on it for three weeks now to no avail. So, they told me I need a "network extender," which is actually my own little tower. Evidently it hooks up to my cable internet and my home calls will actually go over that instead of a tower in the area. Well, it better work, because the damn extender was $175 even after a $75 discount. I hope it works, or it's time to go back to US Cellular, which I actually don't want to do. The Verizon 4G LTE is outstanding.
I had Virgin Mobile for years till we moved to Podunk, Virgin Mobile runs off the back of the Sprint network and Sprint isn't in this area at all. We switched to Verizon because it has the best signal here but in order to use it in the house we have to stand by the kitchen window or outside and the signal still only has one or two bars. While I like the Verizon coverage I'm paying 70% more for service then when I was on Virgin Mobile. When we get back to civilization I'll switch back to either Virgin Mobile or the Wally World network.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Well we live in the middle of nowhere and we use Verizon and can get a strong signal no matter where we are.
In the House or up in Phx. in hotel room or even in Denver when I'm up there visiting my Mom and call hubby here at our house.
It sounds like a local problem with their towers there.
We have never had any dropped calls.

I live in backwoods, Podunk, WI, and I'm in the Wisconsin River Valley and there's hills everywhere. So unless they put a tower on just about every hill, coverage is going to be sketchy. I wouldn't have a problem here if the damn phone didn't by default go to a far away Verizon tower instead of the strongest signal, but, they don't seem to have a fix for that. I guess the network extender will solve that problem, I hope. I like Verizon. US Cellular just has crap for 4G LTE, and I want to have a good network there for when I travel, and Verizon is without doubt the best.

I live in backwoods, Podunk, WI, and I'm in the Wisconsin River Valley and there's hills everywhere. So unless they put a tower on just about every hill, coverage is going to be sketchy. I wouldn't have a problem here if the damn phone didn't by default go to a far away Verizon tower instead of the strongest signal, but, they don't seem to have a fix for that. I guess the network extender will solve that problem, I hope. I like Verizon. US Cellular just has crap for 4G LTE, and I want to have a good network there for when I travel, and Verizon is without doubt the best.

Your phone has a setting that you can disable the default so that you can get the strongest signals.
A you tube video of the model of phone you have will show you how to do that.

Well we live in the middle of nowhere and we use Verizon and can get a strong signal no matter where we are.
In the House or up in Phx. in hotel room or even in Denver when I'm up there visiting my Mom and call hubby here at our house.
It sounds like a local problem with their towers there.
We have never had any dropped calls.
We're literally in the foothills of the mountains, basically mountains by Appalachian standards, so we have "hills' all around us. We get into town or up on the side of Fishers Peak the signal maxes out.

The wife just got a call from the job in El Paso....... they want her to come down for a panel interview at the hospital basically doing what she was doing here. Uummmmm, El Paso......... Ummmmmm.........

Forum List

Back