USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well, I've been on the phone all morning locked in mortal combat with Verizon because of the massive number of dropped calls here at home. The problem is the phone by default locks on to the nearest Verizon signal, but that is a tower that's probably 25 miles away, so the signal is in the toilet. When it sees that this tower isn't working it finally switches over a US Cellular tower just two miles behind me where Verizon has leased space and put up dishes, and then the signal is fantastic. There appears to be no cure for this problem. Tech support has worked on it for three weeks now to no avail. So, they told me I need a "network extender," which is actually my own little tower. Evidently it hooks up to my cable internet and my home calls will actually go over that instead of a tower in the area. Well, it better work, because the damn extender was $175 even after a $75 discount. I hope it works, or it's time to go back to US Cellular, which I actually don't want to do. The Verizon 4G LTE is outstanding.
I had Virgin Mobile for years till we moved to Podunk, Virgin Mobile runs off the back of the Sprint network and Sprint isn't in this area at all. We switched to Verizon because it has the best signal here but in order to use it in the house we have to stand by the kitchen window or outside and the signal still only has one or two bars. While I like the Verizon coverage I'm paying 70% more for service then when I was on Virgin Mobile. When we get back to civilization I'll switch back to either Virgin Mobile or the Wally World network.

I'm surprised you can't get Sprint there. When we've met with friends at Angel Fire, Sprint was just about the only signal anybody could get. There was a bit more variety at Red River including Sprint and you are only a stone's throw from there.

And another suggestion for those man caves. . . .

10505450_10153096464749602_200597611041792287_n.jpg

Well, I've been on the phone all morning locked in mortal combat with Verizon because of the massive number of dropped calls here at home. The problem is the phone by default locks on to the nearest Verizon signal, but that is a tower that's probably 25 miles away, so the signal is in the toilet. When it sees that this tower isn't working it finally switches over a US Cellular tower just two miles behind me where Verizon has leased space and put up dishes, and then the signal is fantastic. There appears to be no cure for this problem. Tech support has worked on it for three weeks now to no avail. So, they told me I need a "network extender," which is actually my own little tower. Evidently it hooks up to my cable internet and my home calls will actually go over that instead of a tower in the area. Well, it better work, because the damn extender was $175 even after a $75 discount. I hope it works, or it's time to go back to US Cellular, which I actually don't want to do. The Verizon 4G LTE is outstanding.
I had Virgin Mobile for years till we moved to Podunk, Virgin Mobile runs off the back of the Sprint network and Sprint isn't in this area at all. We switched to Verizon because it has the best signal here but in order to use it in the house we have to stand by the kitchen window or outside and the signal still only has one or two bars. While I like the Verizon coverage I'm paying 70% more for service then when I was on Virgin Mobile. When we get back to civilization I'll switch back to either Virgin Mobile or the Wally World network.

I'm surprised you can't get Sprint there. When we've met with friends at Angel Fire, Sprint was just about the only signal anybody could get. There was a bit more variety at Red River including Sprint and you are only a stone's throw from there.
No Sprint towers or leased space on towers in this location, pretty much lose the Sprint signal around Walsenburg.

We here are the two most promising options, Albuquerque for around $40k a year or El Paso for around $60k a year, both permanent positions. Both cities are fairly large with each having a population of around 650,000, up towards 1 mil when the metro areas are included so all the standard "amenities" are there.

Here is one where you can get an app for it 007.

Tried it, didn't work.

I've already got the network extender on order. Might as well just use it. That works like my own little personal tower in my home. I don't think anything is going to beat that. I will let ya know how well it works.

Tried it, didn't work.

I've already got the network extender on order. Might as well just use it. That works like my own little personal tower in my home. I don't think anything is going to beat that. I will let ya know how well it works.

Sorry :(
I was hoping that would work for you.
Thank you
I would like to know if it works.
I hope that it does.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Tried it, didn't work.

My neighbor has one, he's a forestry ranger so he's on call 24/7, they paid for it, he has no idea what it cost.

Depp has never been what people might call a typical actor, he's always taken chances with "off" characters and "experimental" roles, many have been bombs some have given him amazing success. He's done many that were never remotely close to being blockbusters but were good movies in and of themselves. The biggest problem facing actors is continuously being cast in roles similar to ones that made them famous, as indicated in Ernie's post, Depp isn't into that and is still willing to take chances which is the problem for Depp now as everyone (movie goers) sees him as Captain Jack Sparrow and expect that type of character to manifest itself in all his roles.
The way many actors have overcome that role casting is to disappear from the public view or a few years before returning to the big screen, obviously Depp isn't doing that.

Johnny Depp was brilliant in the "Pirates" series but it did somewhat type cast him. But he is a versatile actor. My favorite all time role for him was as Roux in "Chocolat" which is also one of my all time favorite movies.
He was great as Benny in Benny and Joon, was the only saving grace (other than the sexy visual of Selma Hayek, for guys) in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Did an awesome job in Dead Man, a strange, strange movie and loved him as the Mad Hatter. Yup, he'll always be remembered by most as Captain Jack Sparrow and yes I do identify with that character in a lot of ways but I always liked the anti-hero hero, also why I identify with Val Kilmers Doc Holiday another flawed human who occasionally does the right thing even if it's for less than altruistic reasons.

Was it Once Upon a Time In Mexico where he got his eyes plucked out? I saw him in a movie where his eyeballs were removed. Lol.

Tried it, didn't work.

My neighbor has one, he's a forestry ranger so he's on call 24/7, they paid for it, he has no idea what it cost.

Well since I was rather irritated when I spoke with Verizon this morning, and was threatening dropping them, they quickly arranged $75 off, but off of $250 that was still $175 I really wasn't happy about having to dish out. They said if that didn't work I could return it for a full refund, and get out of my contract no charge. I'm hoping it works, because I basically talk over my internet on the extender. All it does is sense calls and then routes them over the internet through Verizon, no extra charge. Sounds good to me.

Samsung Network Extender SCS 2U01 Verizon Wireless

Depp has never been what people might call a typical actor, he's always taken chances with "off" characters and "experimental" roles, many have been bombs some have given him amazing success. He's done many that were never remotely close to being blockbusters but were good movies in and of themselves. The biggest problem facing actors is continuously being cast in roles similar to ones that made them famous, as indicated in Ernie's post, Depp isn't into that and is still willing to take chances which is the problem for Depp now as everyone (movie goers) sees him as Captain Jack Sparrow and expect that type of character to manifest itself in all his roles.
The way many actors have overcome that role casting is to disappear from the public view or a few years before returning to the big screen, obviously Depp isn't doing that.

Johnny Depp was brilliant in the "Pirates" series but it did somewhat type cast him. But he is a versatile actor. My favorite all time role for him was as Roux in "Chocolat" which is also one of my all time favorite movies.
He was great as Benny in Benny and Joon, was the only saving grace (other than the sexy visual of Selma Hayek, for guys) in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Did an awesome job in Dead Man, a strange, strange movie and loved him as the Mad Hatter. Yup, he'll always be remembered by most as Captain Jack Sparrow and yes I do identify with that character in a lot of ways but I always liked the anti-hero hero, also why I identify with Val Kilmers Doc Holiday another flawed human who occasionally does the right thing even if it's for less than altruistic reasons.

Was it Once Upon a Time In Mexico where he got his eyes plucked out? I saw him in a movie where his eyeballs were removed. Lol.
Yup, I just saw that not long too. The little Mexican boy helps him.

The wife just got a call from the job in El Paso....... they want her to come down for a panel interview at the hospital basically doing what she was doing here. Uummmmm, El Paso......... Ummmmmm.........

Is that good or bad? :)
Depends I guess. El Paso is right on the border with Mexico. If you don't mind kind of like in the middle of nowhere and illegal aliens, it's OK.

Last edited:

No Sprint towers or leased space on towers in this location, pretty much lose the Sprint signal around Walsenburg.

We here are the two most promising options, Albuquerque for around $40k a year or El Paso for around $60k a year, both permanent positions. Both cities are fairly large with each having a population of around 650,000, up towards 1 mil when the metro areas are included so all the standard "amenities" are there.

I would definitely opt for Albuquerque, especially considering the kind of aesthetic lifestyle you prefer, but the cost of living might be less in El Paso and $20k is a lot of money. But if the money isn't a huge deal breaker, I would go for where you think you would enjoy living more.

Tried it, didn't work.

Well since I was rather irritated when I spoke with Verizon this morning, and was threatening dropping them, they quickly arranged $75 off, but off of $250 that was still $175 I really wasn't happy about having to dish out. They said if that didn't work I could return it for a full refund, and get out of my contrahttp://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/ct no charge. I'm hoping it works, because I basically talk over my internet on the extender. All it does is sense calls and then routes them over the internet through Verizon, no extra charge. Sounds good to me.

The wife just got a call from the job in El Paso....... they want her to come down for a panel interview at the hospital basically doing what she was doing here. Uummmmm, El Paso......... Ummmmmm.........

Depends I guess. El Paso is right on the border with Mexico. If you don't mind kind of like in the middle of nowhere and illegal aliens, it's OK.

I've never been and I'm not very familiar with that part of the country. :) I'm probably pretty sheltered. I've actually never been out of New England, though I've been to every state WITHIN New England. Lol.

Tried it, didn't work.

Well since I was rather irritated when I spoke with Verizon this morning, and was threatening dropping them, they quickly arranged $75 off, but off of $250 that was still $175 I really wasn't happy about having to dish out. They said if that didn't work I could return it for a full refund, and get out of my contrahttp://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/ct no charge. I'm hoping it works, because I basically talk over my internet on the extender. All it does is sense calls and then routes them over the internet through Verizon, no extra charge. Sounds good to me.

I doubt even El Paso has as many illegals as Albuquerque. :( (New Mexico is a sanctuary state with a number of sanctuary cities.) But it doesn't affect quality of life all that much in either place if you are careful where you buy.

Tried it, didn't work.

I've never been and I'm not very familiar with that part of the country. :) I'm probably pretty sheltered. I've actually never been out of New England, though I've been to every state WITHIN New England. Lol.

One of these days you ought to just take two or three weeks and drive across country just to see the differences. But you live in a destination area for many of the rest of us, and I do envy you that a bit.

Tried it, didn't work.

One of these days you ought to just take two or three weeks and drive across country just to see the differences. But you live in a destination area for many of the rest of us, and I do envy you that a bit.

Oh, I would definitely love to see and experience other parts of the country one of these days. :)

Forum List

Back