USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sorry, I'm a little out of it today, guys. I'm pretty sure I have the flu. I feel absolutely rotten and out of it. :cheeky-smiley-018: I'll be sick as a dog tomorrow for the Superbowl. Yay. :rolleyes-41:
Well that's just a damn bummer! Sorry to hear that, and hope ya feel better real soon.

I'll probably watch the game at one one of the local taverns, but just because I have $100 on the game, $50 each on two squares on a pool. All I care about is winning some cash.

Thanks. I hope you put that money on the Patriots. :D They are going to win, you know.
It's just a big block with a hundred squares on it, and you pick a square and sign your name in it. Then later they draw numbers and assign them to each column along the top and side, so you never know what your going to get. Then during the game at different points and after scores, they take the last two numbers of the score, say 0 and 7, find the square that coincides with 0 and 7 on the board and that person wins that money. There's a bunch of winners usually and it's purely taking a gamble. I've won some and lost some.

Interesting. I've never heard of that before, but then again I've never gambled before. :)
Pretty standard practice in all the taverns around these parts.

It's probably like that here too. I just don't really know anything about gambling. Lol.

Sorry, I'm a little out of it today, guys. I'm pretty sure I have the flu. I feel absolutely rotten and out of it. :cheeky-smiley-018: I'll be sick as a dog tomorrow for the Superbowl. Yay. :rolleyes-41:
That sucks. Take care if yourself

Thanks! It really sucks. I was supposed to have some friends over tomorrow for the game, now I'll be watching by my lonesome. I'll have to come here while the game is on so I can have people to celebrate with, or razz whatever the case may be. Lol.

Gee, I don't get the flu...

Right at the bottom of Michigan where Ohio and Indiana come up to meet us. Looks like 12-18" of snow I can shovel for 7-8 customers. Hopefully I can break it up into two sessions of shoveling. One Sunday morning and another Sunday night or Monday early morning. Depending on when it stops I may miss the Super Bowl.

The snow has started here, and it's really coming down. They're saying this will probably be the biggest snow event we've had in two years.

Took trash to the dump and hit the grocery store so I'm stocked up on essentials. I'll have to say, the store was busier than I've seen it in a long time. I figured it was because people were buying goodies for super bowl parties tomorrow. Never thought it might have been people stocking up because of this blizzard. Maybe both.

Last edited:
That sucks. Take care if yourself

Thanks! It really sucks. I was supposed to have some friends over tomorrow for the game, now I'll be watching by my lonesome. I'll have to come here while the game is on so I can have people to celebrate with, or razz whatever the case may be. Lol.

Gee, I don't get the flu...

I don't get flu shots. Maybe I should think about it. I've never gotten one before because I'm hardly ever sick. However, I got the flu last year (a 48-hour flu) too.

The snow has started here, and it's really coming down. They're saying this will probably be the biggest snow event we've had in two years.

Took trash to the dump and hit the grocery store so I'm stocked up on essentials. I'll have to say, the store was as busier than I've seen in it a long time. I figured it was because people were buying goodies for super bowl parties tomorrow. Never thought it might have been people stocking up because of this blizzard. Maybe both.

Good thing you got there before everything was gone! :) That's happened to me before due to poor planning. Lol. Milk, bread, eggs, and batteries become very difficult to find.

Took trash to the dump and hit the grocery store so I'm stocked up on essentials. I'll have to say, the store was as busier than I've seen in it a long time. I figured it was because people were buying goodies for super bowl parties tomorrow. Never thought it might have been people stocking up because of this blizzard. Maybe both.

Good thing you got there before everything was gone! :) That's happened to me before due to poor planning. Lol. Milk, bread, eggs, and batteries become very difficult to find.
Out here in back woods, podunk, WI, people don't panic much and make runs on stores. Most homes are rural, out in the country farms and they pretty much stay stocked. The heartland and all ya know. Same with me. I have my own well so water is never an issue, and I can buy milk from local farmers and bake my own bread. We're pretty self sufficient out here in these parts... :)

Out here in back woods, podunk, WI, people don't panic much and make runs on stores. Most homes are rural, out in the country farms and they pretty stay stocked. The heartland and all ya know. Same with me. I have my own well so water is never an issue, and I can buy milk from local farmers and bake my own bread. We're pretty self sufficient out here in these parts... :)

We had a hurricane a few years back, and lost power for like 3 days. I was totally unprepared for that. That experience really taught me a valuable lesson. :D

The wife just got a call from the job in El Paso....... they want her to come down for a panel interview at the hospital basically doing what she was doing here. Uummmmm, El Paso......... Ummmmmm.........

Is that good or bad? :)
Kind of an unknown, El Paso is undisguisedly desert country, it's only 3500 feet above sea level and the highest peak is around 7200 feet. El Paso has been listed as one of the safest cities to live in four years in a row. As for the interview it almost sounds like a technicality as they also want to give her a tour of the city and are offering to reimburse us for the trip to the interview. Yes, the cost of living (housing) is very low, the house we're in right now in Trinidad (cheap rent) would be about 20% less in El Paso so definitely more bang for the buck. With the extra income we could seriously enlarge our nest egg while living in a larger home with a pool......... :D
Kinda leaning in that direction.

That sounds great. I hope it all works out for you. :)

Gosh, if you could see the prices here in Massachusetts. Even just to rent, it is outrageous. I pay $1200 a month and that is the going rate for just an apartment in my location. My townhouse is two floors with an attic but very small. I've been checking out prices on Craig's List down south, like Tennessee, and I cannot believe how cheap! It blows my mind! :ack-1:
I spent 35 years in Northern Virginia, Fairfax county, second wealthiest county in the nation, $1200 a month would have gotten you a bedroom in the "slums"........

Well, that sounds terrible. Lol. :D

The wife just got a call from the job in El Paso....... they want her to come down for a panel interview at the hospital basically doing what she was doing here. Uummmmm, El Paso......... Ummmmmm.........

Kind of an unknown, El Paso is undisguisedly desert country, it's only 3500 feet above sea level and the highest peak is around 7200 feet. El Paso has been listed as one of the safest cities to live in four years in a row. As for the interview it almost sounds like a technicality as they also want to give her a tour of the city and are offering to reimburse us for the trip to the interview. Yes, the cost of living (housing) is very low, the house we're in right now in Trinidad (cheap rent) would be about 20% less in El Paso so definitely more bang for the buck. With the extra income we could seriously enlarge our nest egg while living in a larger home with a pool......... :D

Gosh, if you could see the prices here in Massachusetts. Even just to rent, it is outrageous. I pay $1200 a month and that is the going rate for just an apartment in my location. My townhouse is two floors with an attic but very small. I've been checking out prices on Craig's List down south, like Tennessee, and I cannot believe how cheap! It blows my mind! :ack-1:
Here in South Alabama, you can buy a house with 3 or 4 acres and pay half of your current rent as a mortgage payment.
My house has nearly doubled in value in the 4 years I've owned it and I pay under $300/year in property taxes.
Of course, employment opportunities are not exactly Boston, but there are jobs and I believe the unemployment rate is comparable. (5.5% Mass. 5.8% Alabama)

I can live anywhere in the country and keep my job. :) As long as there is internet access, I am set up.

Out here in back woods, podunk, WI, people don't panic much and make runs on stores. Most homes are rural, out in the country farms and they pretty stay stocked. The heartland and all ya know. Same with me. I have my own well so water is never an issue, and I can buy milk from local farmers and bake my own bread. We're pretty self sufficient out here in these parts... :)

We had a hurricane a few years back, and lost power for like 3 days. I was totally unprepared for that. That experience really taught me a valuable lesson. :D
When Wilma hit South Florida, my neighbors were out for 11 days I had the generator, but someone had to drive 75 miles for gasoline One neighbor had a heart problem and couldn't handle cutting and stacking debris, so he collected gas cans and cash from everyone and drove north for gas. He came back with about 300 gallons.
Those of us with generators ran extensions to power fridges and microwaves and had people over for showers.
We pooled food and the women cooked for everyone while the men manned chainsaws and hauled away roofs, car ports pool enclosures storage buildings and downed trees for 5 days.

When Wilma hit South Florida, my neighbors were out for 11 days I had the generator, but someone had to drive 75 miles for gasoline One neighbor had a heart problem and couldn't handle cutting and stacking debris, so he collected gas cans and cash from everyone and drove north for gas. He came back with about 300 gallons.
Those of us with generators ran extensions to power fridges and microwaves and had people over for showers.
We pooled food and the women cooked for everyone while the men manned chainsaws and hauled away roofs, car ports pool enclosures storage buildings and downed trees for 5 days.

Yeah, we don't usually get hit as hard as Florida and others on the coast. By the time it meanders up to my neck of the woods, it has usually died down to tropical storm level.

Here in South Alabama, you can buy a house with 3 or 4 acres and pay half of your current rent as a mortgage payment.
My house has nearly doubled in value in the 4 years I've owned it and I pay under $300/year in property taxes.
Of course, employment opportunities are not exactly Boston, but there are jobs and I believe the unemployment rate is comparable. (5.5% Mass. 5.8% Alabama)

I can live anywhere in the country and keep my job. :) As long as there is internet access, I am set up.
We do have and 8% sales tax on everything but prescription meds, but gasoline is running $1.85 here and lower in Mobile. Some areas in Mobile are a bit iffy and Birmingham ad Montgomery have higher than normal crime, but small towns like Foley are pretty quiet.
That and the fact that you're friends with the owner at Doc Holliday's makes Foley a damned nice place to live.

Oh! If you were to move this way, leave your show shovel behind. We haven't needed one here since the late 60's.

We did get some snow 40 miles west of here Tuesday.
This was taken at Spring Hill College in Mobile, Ala.:

archive-6zip-40fba56d29aa3028jpg-bb98b1f01ce3ab52.JPG

Hope you feel better quick, Chris.

Thanks Ernie! :)

I actually feel really good right now. I think it may have been a 24-hour thing or something. Still, I cancelled my plans for the Superbowl tomorrow. Oh well. :D
That's probably wise. Some of those things can remain contagious after you feel better.

I'm taking a course on health and food safety now and some food born illnesses remain contagious for up to 60 days.

Hope you feel better quick, Chris.

Thanks Ernie! :)

I actually feel really good right now. I think it may have been a 24-hour thing or something. Still, I cancelled my plans for the Superbowl tomorrow. Oh well. :D
That's probably wise. Some of those things can remain contagious after you feel better.

I'm taking a course on health and food safety now and some food born illnesses remain contagious for up to 60 days.
Do they still teach to have the latrines downriver from the drinking areas? To prevent cholera and keep from wiping out half your army.......

Oh, sorry, wrong era........

Forum List

Back