USMB liberals, what is the role of SCOTUS to you?

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
It seems the Constitutional role of SCOTUS and the liberal perception of the role of SCOTUS are not congruent.

What is the role the SCOTUS?

SCOTUS is the final verdict on the Constitutionality of an issue
They also resolve cases elevated from the lower courts

Seriously, board liberals, what do you think is the role of SCOTUS?

Just to give you a head start, the role of SCOTUS is to make sure that laws passed by Congress are Constitutional and enforced within the guidelines of the Constitution.

What do you think it’s for?

Beyond just restating the court's constitutional role as an arbiter of the constitution and one part of a system of checks and balances between the branches of government, I think the most important role the court has played over the last ~100 years is in progressively moving closer and closer to actually realizing some of the ideals found in the Declaration of Independence, e.g. in recognizing that the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness really ought to be a right enjoyed by all.

Expanding the actual protection of rights to more and more people has tended to involve defending the ideal against a hegemonic culture that has often rejected rights in practice for various groups, whether African Americans, women, LGBTQ people, and so on. The court has also played an important role in expanding individual liberty against various authoritarian impulses, especially with regard to the first amendment during the course of the 20th century.

I think the court also ought to play a role in defending the democratic process from being eroded in various ways, i.e. by strongly protecting voting rights and rejecting gerrymandering schemes, and taking a stronger interest in the corrupting influences of money on the process. I think the court has failed more often than not lately in that regard.

All of the above in my view relates directly to the court being a custodian of the spirit of the constitution (e.g. I find "originalist" presuppostions dubious, for a number of reasons) and that ideal which the Declaration so eloquently states.

Beyond just restating the court's constitutional role as an arbiter of the constitution and one part of a system of checks and balances between the branches of government, I think the most important role the court has played over the last ~100 years is in progressively moving closer and closer to actually realizing some of the ideals found in the Declaration of Independence, e.g. in recognizing that the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness really ought to be a right enjoyed by all.

Expanding the actual protection of rights to more and more people has tended to involve defending the ideal against a hegemonic culture that has often rejected rights in practice for various groups, whether African Americans, women, LGBTQ people, and so on. The court has also played an important role in expanding individual liberty against various authoritarian impulses, especially with regard to the first amendment during the course of the 20th century.

I think the court also ought to play a role in defending the democratic process from being eroded in various ways, i.e. by strongly protecting voting rights and rejecting gerrymandering schemes, and taking a stronger interest in the corrupting influences of money on the process. I think the court has failed more often than not lately in that regard.

All of the above in my view relates directly to the court being a custodian of the spirit of the constitution (e.g. I find "originalist" presuppostions dubious, for a number of reasons) and that ideal which the Declaration so eloquently states.

Dude, do you have a podcast? I will listen.

Just to give you a head start, the role of SCOTUS is to make sure that laws passed by Congress are Constitutional and enforced within the guidelines of the Constitution.

SCOTUS does not review the laws passed by Congress
Only if there is a Constitutional challenge......which is very rare

Most of their caseload does not involve Congress, many, many cases involve excesses at the state level

Liberals, let’s pony up.

What do you think is the role of SCOTUS and why does Kavanaugh freak you out so much?

Let me just say this...

If you pass Constitutional laws through the legislative process, you have nothing to worry about.

Kavanaugh seems to be a jurist who supports the Constitution.

Why does that scare you?

Liberals, let’s pony up.

What do you think is the role of SCOTUS and why does Kavanaugh freak you out so much?

Let me just say this...

If you pass Constitutional laws through the legislative process, you have nothing to worry about.

Kavanaugh seems to be a jurist who supports the Constitution.

Why does that scare you?

:banghead:

It seems the Constitutional role of SCOTUS and the liberal perception of the role of SCOTUS are not congruent.

Where in the Constitution does it say money = free speech.

Activism goes both ways.

Either you're ignorant or a hypocrite.

The constitution IS a living breathing thing -- what do call the Amendments.

Look up the word Amendment.

You just got an answer. What is your problem here?

1. Where does it say that money is not free speech, i.e. its my money I can spend it how I wish
2. The Constitution has done well for over 200 years NOT being twisted by the petty topics of the day

Where in the Constitution does it say money = free speech.

Activism goes both ways.

Either you're ignorant or a hypocrite.

The constitution IS a living breathing thing -- what do call the Amendments.

Look up the word Amendment.

Yes, and the role of SCOTUS is to make sure laws passed by Congress are CONSTITUTIONAL....including the amendments.

If you don’t like the Constitution, get additional amendments.

Please brush up on Civics. You are embarrassing yourself.

For example, the first AMMENDENT is part of the CONSTITUTION that the SCOTUS rules on.

If you want the Constitution changed, get it fucking changed.

2/3 vote in the house and the senate ratifies a Constitutional amendment. Get it done.

****Generic insult redacted******

Typical conservative thread

They demand a liberal response and then ignore all the responses they get and ask......why won’t liberals respond?

Dude, do you have a podcast? I will listen.

I do not! My writing is better than my speaking, and I no rite so gud, so...

but thanks!

why does Kavanaugh freak you out so much?

Some of his writing on executive privilege and immunity seems potentially problematic to me. Obviously everyone on the left is concerned that his view of the constitution will lead him to reject the argument for a "penumbra" right to privacy which informs the Roe decision. I don't know how likely that really is, but I think it would be a pretty negative outcome.

I haven't spent enough time researching his judicial philosophy or record to have very strong expectations on how he would act in relation to the principles I outlined before, but from some comments of his that I've seen I don't think he would emphasize the role of the court in protecting constitutional ideals in the way that I would prefer.

They demand a liberal response and then ignore all the responses they get and ask......why won’t liberals respond?
I know...it smacks of trolling.

My man

Can’t have a rational discussion on the role of SCOTUS?

Sad.

Can’t have a rational discussion on the role of SCOTUS?

Sad.
You were given a rational answer which you duly ignored and went on to proclaim there were no answers...so do you want a rational discussion or don’t you?

Forum List

Back