Utah High School Student Told To Cover Her Shoulders

Do you think this dress is too provocative for a high school prom?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Or we could be a bit more absurd could we? While I think its just fine,if they want to live that way,have at it,you know be like the left says they are inclusive and tolerant?

In the same way that this school was inclusive and tolerant?

A dress code is one thing.The dress the young lady is wearing would be proper in the 1950s. It is not provocative or suggestive in any way.
Yea these hicks need to get with the times. I am pretty sure the US fought World War Two for the right to abolish school dress codes. Didn't Martin Luther King have a section about permitting two inch shoulder straps in his "I have a dream speech"?

If this isn't oppression, I don't know what is. Can legal charges be filed?

I am equally as sure that the right to abolish dress codes was not one of the reasons the US fought World War Two. That is patently absurd!

That's true....Utah seems to be stuck in an time warp closer to World War I.

A dress code is one thing.The dress the young lady is wearing would be proper in the 1950s. It is not provocative or suggestive in any way.
Yea these hicks need to get with the times. I am pretty sure the US fought World War Two for the right to abolish school dress codes. Didn't Martin Luther King have a section about permitting two inch shoulder straps in his "I have a dream speech"?

I am equally as sure that the right to abolish dress codes was not one of the reasons the US fought World War Two. That is patently absurd!

That's true....Utah seems to be stuck in an time warp closer to World War I.

Why don't all of you dipshits just calm down. Romney decided not to run for President, so all of the lies about Mormons and Utah won't be required posting for obamabots any longer.

I still can't imagine any school in this day and time having such a strict dress code. I'm not so surprised over the dress code as I am over the strictness of it....I know if they didn't have some sort of dress code some teenagers would or could come with a totally outrageous outfit, like see-through, plunging necklines, or something else more provocative, but the dress this girl is wearing is suitable for Sunday School....IMHO!
I know, it's a travesty! What legal remedy can we use to resolve this? Isn't there a civil rights commission for it? Well I guess for now we can just whine about it on the internet.

The weirdest thing of all is how much Republican/conservatives criticize Muslims, yet Republican women go along with their leaders in suppressing equal pay for women for same job, control of their bodies and other things. Next thing they are going to be requiring women to wear Burkas and Republican women will go along voting for it......:(
Yea I am sure this code was imposed by a sexist republican men. When will you Americans vote out those misogynistic monsters. Oh wait never mind.

Miss Bromley insisted that all of the students are aware of the school's dress code for formal events, which prohibits teens from wearing backless dresses below the shoulder blades, outfits featuring straps narrower than 2inches or garments with a cleavage.

Yea, because it isn't shrill hyperbole to compare a high school dress code to sharia law.

Wait are you saying you support banning the burka? You Islamophobic bigot!

Last edited:

I still can't imagine any school in this day and time having such a strict dress code. I'm not so surprised over the dress code as I am over the strictness of it....I know if they didn't have some sort of dress code some teenagers would or could come with a totally outrageous outfit, like see-through, plunging necklines, or something else more provocative, but the dress this girl is wearing is suitable for Sunday School....IMHO!
I know, it's a travesty! What legal remedy can we use to resolve this? Isn't there a civil rights commission for it? Well I guess for now we can just whine about it on the internet.

The weirdest thing of all is how much Republican/conservatives criticize Muslims, yet Republican women go along with their leaders in suppressing equal pay for women for same job, control of their bodies and other things. Next thing they are going to be requiring women to wear Burkas and Republican women will go along voting for it......:(

Are these the Republican/conservatives you are referring too?

"The Obama administration’s focus on the so-called gender pay gap this past week turned out be an embarrassment when it was revealed that women who work at the White House earn 88 cents on the dollar as compared to men, i.e., 12 percent less than their male counterparts."

Yea I am sure this code was imposed by a sexist republican men. When will you Americans vote out those misogynistic monsters. Oh wait never mind.

We're trying....but there are so many uninformed people in America that seem to believe they (these sexist politicians) are actually wanting the best for women........:)

she knew the rules and the are over board. next year there will be hundreds of wardrobe malfunctions to prove they are cool. watch.

But her dress doesn't appear to violate the rules.........what gives?

Her dress doesn't appear too provocative to me, so why does Utah still cling to these old fashion strictness?
I think they are wrong for having embarrassed the young teen and made her feel ashamed for wearing such a beautiful and certainly respectable dress....

What's wrong with some people?

Utah girl, 15, forced to wear a coat to school dance because teachers felt THIS dress was indecent for showing too much shoulder

2520B1E100000578-0-image-a-1_1422413527375.jpg

Lone Peak girl had to wear coat to school dance as teachers felt dress was indecent Daily Mail Online

I personally don't find that the slightest bit offensive. But this young woman knew the rules before she dressed up. She can hardly blame the school for making her follow the rules once she arrived.

But what rule did she violate? Her shoulder straps look to be at least 2 inches.....but who on earth thinks showing shoulders is risque?

You're shocked that conservative Mormons in Utah are prude?

Prude?....like having multiple wives is somewhat modest?

Who has multiple wives?

Well, I don't know them personally, but there are some.

The LDS Mormons do not practice polygamy. They were forced to abandon that practice by the United States government who sent the army to Utah to enforce the United States claim on that territory.
But several of the other Mormon offshoots still practice polygamy.
Mormons and Polygamy

The Polygamy Issue
Does polygamy still exist in Utah? You bet it does.
Utah was admitted to the Union in 1896 but only under the condition that the Mormon Church ban polygamy, which they agreed to do. The Mormon Church remains opposed to polygamy to this day and immediately excommunicates any member who is discovered to be practicing polygamy. There are several ultra-orthodox offshoots of the Mormon Church though, especially in rural parts of Utah, which quietly practice polygamy today basically under a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. Most polygamists just want to be left alone and don't want notoriety.
The Mormons and Polygamy

Who has multiple wives?

The LDS Mormons do not practice polygamy. They were forced to abandon that practice by the United States government who sent the army to Utah to enforce the United States claim on that territory.
Mormons and Polygamy

The Polygamy Issue
Utah was admitted to the Union in 1896 but only under the condition that the Mormon Church ban polygamy, which they agreed to do. The Mormon Church remains opposed to polygamy to this day and immediately excommunicates any member who is discovered to be practicing polygamy. There are several ultra-orthodox offshoots of the Mormon Church though, especially in rural parts of Utah, which quietly practice polygamy today basically under a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. Most polygamists just want to be left alone and don't want notoriety.
The Mormons and Polygamy

A lot of Arab sheikhs and other royalty have multiple wives and those countries are extremely conservative.

Who whispered those lies into your ear?

It's public information........Republicans in Congress voted against equal pay for equal work......and there are many Republican women in this Forum who don't mind, and go along with it, continuing to vote for them. You need to get out more.

It's crazy.....they vote against their own interests.....no wonder Romney didn't have a chance.

WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans on Wednesday blocked legislation meant to close the pay gap between men and women, framing an election-year fight between the parties over whose policies are friendlier to women.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/us/politics/senate-republicans-block-bill-on-equal-pay.html?_r=0

Who has multiple wives?

Mormons and Polygamy

The Polygamy Issue
The Mormons and Polygamy

A lot of Arab sheikhs and other royalty have multiple wives and those countries are extremely conservative.

Yeah, and they are extremely sexist.....making their wives wear Burkas.....and here in the US baring a shoulder is now naughty? Well, you said it, that's conservatism for you.

We're trying....but there are so many uninformed people in America that seem to believe they (these sexist politicians) are actually wanting the best for women........:)
I am pretty sure the Koch Brothers were behind this dress code and they put the woman who set the high school dress code up to this. She is probably just a self hating woman.

I am glad you guys have brave Democrats willing to stand up to the evils of the Patriarchy like school dress codes. When will you take legal action?

Forum List

Back