Victorian Slum House:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
This typically superb PBS production places a number of ordinary British family members into the same situations experienced by impoverished forebears in late 1800s (Victorian) London. The replication of circumstances, which includes the actual physical environment (streets and houses), the clothing and all associated social conditions are amazingly (and depressingly) perfect in every way.

Victorian Slum House | PBS Programs | PBS

While this admirably crafted series, which authentically reveals what life was like for those who unfortunately lived it, is not pleasing to watch but is a fascinating education the ultimate effect of which is a feeling of comforting satisfaction after watching each episode. That satisfaction is awareness of just how fortunate we are compared to the poor Brits who endured those miserable conditions. Watching this series will make even the most deprived welfare-class contemporary feel privileged.

Bravo, PBS!

Last edited:
I love this show. I record so I can watch later since there are other PBS shows on at the same time I watch. Los Angeles has 4 PBS stations so I have different things to watch. I hope they show what happened to the single mom with the twins who "skipped out" on rent and her grocery bill. Wonder where she went.

I love this show. I record so I can watch later since there are other PBS shows on at the same time I watch. Los Angeles has 4 PBS stations so I have different things to watch. I hope they show what happened to the single mom with the twins who "skipped out" on rent and her grocery bill. Wonder where she went.
Hello, Malnila.

PBS presents by far the best and highest quality entertainment programming on television.

Did you follow Downton Abbey?

Now, Home Fires and Wolf Hall? (It seems Cromwell was the archetypal politician.)

This typically superb PBS production places a number of ordinary British family members into the same situations experienced by impoverished forebears in late 1800s (Victorian) London. The replication of circumstances, which includes the actual physical environment (streets and houses), the clothing and all associated social conditions are amazingly (and depressingly) perfect in every way.

Victorian Slum House | PBS Programs | PBS

While this admirably crafted series, which authentically reveals what life was like for those who unfortunately lived it, is not pleasing to watch but is a fascinating education the ultimate effect of which is a feeling of comforting satisfaction after watching each episode. That satisfaction is awareness of just how fortunate we are compared to the poor Brits who endured those miserable conditions. Watching this series will make even the most deprived welfare-class contemporary feel privileged.

Bravo, PBS!

I've seen several of their productions - like the 1940's house and such. Very well done - this one is one I want to see!

I saw a similar show about families who would voluntarily live like they did in the early 1900s. It was pretty interesting to see just how difficult life was back then and how much we take for granted today.

I really love some of the old Victorian style houses though (I thought this thread was going to be about run down old Victorian houses - lol). They are so gorgeous and have so much detail. They are more like works of art, each one is unique. They sure don't make houses like that anymore!

I saw a similar show about families who would voluntarily live like they did in the early 1900s. It was pretty interesting to see just how difficult life was back then and how much we take for granted today.

I really love some of the old Victorian style houses though (I thought this thread was going to be about run down old Victorian houses - lol). They are so gorgeous and have so much detail. They are more like works of art, each one is unique. They sure don't make houses like that anymore!
Great show. Even though the single mom was a bit lax and lazy, I really thought it was a great bonding experience and it gave the children a good work ethic

PBS does it again. The show was really great and r2eally showed the hardships people had to endure in the late 1800 I really love the way the children had to pull their own weight and work really hard with the exception of the single mother and her kids she was completely lazy and her kids were too but it gives you a whole new respect for survival I hope there are more of these shows in the future.
:420::50:

Forum List

Back