Viewers Freak Out Over Coca-Cola Super Bowl Ad

Those that are upset are advocates for the time when all differences were to be suppressed and this was a white, heterosexual only country. This is in spite of the fact that no such reality ever existed.

Yeah you're right. It was never all white and hetero, it was only about 95% white, and about 90% hetero.

Dean would say it was the Republican Party......

Coca Cola Commercial - I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony) - 1971 - YouTube

Makes me think of this one from the 70s.

Coke has an international market. My issue is that they seem to make it seem like the people of the world like us. And they don't. They may like our Coca Cola though.

Great commercial from the 70's. Nothing like that communist, America hating garbage from yesterday.

"America hating..."? WTH? Someone singing 'America the Beautiful' hates America because it was not all in English?

Wow......that is a stretch.

The one I posted was not America the Beautiful. And the 'message' was there to Americans. It was a subtle anti war commercial. Coke sells better in countries where we aren't dropping bombs, dontchaknow!

Coca Cola Commercial - I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony) - 1971 - YouTube

Coke has an international market. My issue is that they seem to make it seem like the people of the world like us. And they don't. They may like our Coca Cola though.

Great commercial from the 70's. Nothing like that communist, America hating garbage from yesterday.

So please explain the alleged outrage that makes that commercial "Communist, America hating garbage."

It was the 70s. We were at war with communists in Vietnam. It was an anti war message. 'Quit fighting and sit down and have a Coke.'

Last year we had Dodge, this year Coke and Bud, it is a commercial to push Coke and Bud and they do it by showing what and who they support. Nothing wrong with that.

Those that are upset are advocates for the time when all differences were to be suppressed and this was a white, heterosexual only country. This is in spite of the fact that no such reality ever existed.

Yeah you're right. It was never all white and hetero, it was only about 95% white, and about 90% hetero.

Actually, when this country was founded, the population was about 80% white.

1790 United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gee, even the author of 'America the Beautiful' was known to use the odd foreign word, like in this ditty she wrote in 1917

Babushka
by Katharine Lee Bates

THOU whose sunny heart outglows
Arctic snows;
Russia's hearth-fire, cherishing
Courage almost perishing;
Torch that beacons oversea
Till a world is at thy knee;
Babushka the Belovèd,
What Czar can exile thee?
Sweet, serene, unswerving soul,
To thy goal
Pressing on such mighty pinions
Tyrants quake for their dominions
And devise yet heavier key,
Deeper cell to prison thee,
Babushka the Belovèd,
Thyself art Liberty.
Though thy martyr body, old,
Chains may hold,
Clearer still thy voice goes ringing
Over steppe and mountain, bringing,
Holy mother of the free,
Millions more thy sons to be.
Babushka the Belovèd,
What death can silence thee?

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Oh no!!! America the Beautiful (which was written by a lesbian) sung in a language other than English and they showed a gay couple skating with their daughter too?!? :eek: The horror of it all...

"With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!""

I guess these words are forgotten by many today. Pity that most of their ancestors saw those words in a completely different light.

Oh no!!! America the Beautiful (which was written by a lesbian) sung in a language other than English and they showed a gay couple skating with their daughter too?!? :eek: The horror of it all...

Shhh :eusa_shhh: if they ever figure out what that song is really about, they'll think that it is "communist, America hating garbage"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oq91WmZLO0&feature=youtu.be]Native American - America the Beautiful - YouTube[/ame]

How about this version? You know, for Americans who don't like foreigners coming in and changing stuff!

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/coca-cola-super-bowl-ad-angers-conservatives-ar
Glenn Beck and Fox News pundits are among those outraged by patriotic standard sung in seven languages....

The one-minute ad called "It's beautiful" — in which the patriotic standard is sung in seven different languages — was meant to showcase the country's "incredible diversity," in the words of the soft drink company....

But, before the rw's get their phony patriotic rant on, please take note that your heroes got one little detail all wrong.

1150141_10151973646271275_169448713_n.jpg

~

Oh, btw, an extremely talented black woman sang the real national anthem at the beginning of the game.

You'd think the idiot rw's could keep it straight.

It would be a non scandal except for the low information left that hates Glenn Beck and relies on left wing blogs for their information.

It would be a non scandal except for the low information left that hates Glenn Beck and relies on left wing blogs for their information.

Oh educate yourself, for Pete's sake.

Glenn Beck Accuses Coke?s Super Bowl Ad Of Trying To Make Conservatives Feel Bad : I Acknowledge

HomeClass Warfare Exists
Screenshot_2
Glenn Beck Accuses Coke’s Super Bowl Ad Of Trying To Make Conservatives Feel Bad
Jameson
February 3, 2014
Class Warfare Exists

Like everyone in America, conservative talk show host Glenn Beck had an opinion on the Coca-Cola ad that was aired during the Super Bowl. The ad, which featured dozens of people singing a rendition of “America The Beautiful,” was controversial for some people because it dared to use different languages and featured a gay couple (the first time ever, according to GLAAD).

During his radio show, he accused Coca-Cola of trying to “divide” people.

If you’re new to all of this, you might wonder why including more cultures, ethnicities, and lifestyles in your product’s advertising would be considered divisive. The short answer is: it shouldn’t be. The long answer is: the most xenophobic section of the conservative base finds the very idea of including people other than them offensive. Glenn Beck has a radio show who explicitly targets that group.

Knowing the drill, Beck settled into his most comfortable position: feigned offense.

“So somebody tweeted last night and said, ‘Glenn, what did you think of the Coke ad?’ And I said, ‘Why did you need that to divide us politically?’” he said on his radio show. “Because that’s all this ad is. It’s in your face, and if you don’t like it, if you’re offended by it, you’re a racist. If you do like it, you’re for immigration. You’re for progress. That’s all this is: To divide people.”

Next, Beck waxed poetic for the days when Coke wanted all of us to hold hands.

“Remember when Coke used to do the thing on the top and they would all hold hands?” he added. “Now it’s, have a Coke and we’ll divide you.”

It’s worth noting that the “divide” seems to be strictly down xenophobic lines:

If the low information right knew anything, they would know the lyrics include other ethnicities besides glenn Beck white bread.

America the Beautiful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Original poem (1893)

America. A Poem for July 4.

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the enameled plain!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
Till souls wax fair as earth and air
And music-hearted sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern, impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
Till paths be wrought through wilds of thought
By pilgrim foot and knee!

O beautiful for glory-tale
Of liberating strife,
When once or twice, for man's avail,
Men lavished precious life!
America! America!
Till selfish gain no longer stain,
The banner of the free!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
Till nobler men keep once again
Thy whiter jubilee!

Lyrics 1904 version

For purple mountains' majesty
Above the fruited plain!

America! America!
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness.

America! America!
God mend thine ev'ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law.

O beautiful for glorious tale
Of liberating strife,
When valiantly for man's avail
Men lavish precious life.

America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness,
And ev'ry gain divine.

Undimmed by human tears.

America! America!
From sea to shining sea.

Lyrics 1913 version

For purple mountains' majesty
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
From sea to shining sea!

Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
From sea to shining sea!

Where do those lyrics say that only white "pilgrim's feet and knees" settled the US?

I am SO effing sick of the hateful and hate-filled right.

`

Um no, the right are making complete asses out of themselves over this.

Forum List

Back