Zone1 Virginia NAACP sues Shenandoah school board after district restored Confederate names

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
This is why people hate the NAACP.
RICHMOND, Va. — The Virginia NAACP on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against the Shenandoah County School Board for what it called “reaffirming discrimination,” after the school system voted to rebrand schools with Confederate names in May.

The lawsuit alleges that the school board violated the U.S. Constitution, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Equal Educational Opportunity Act. The plaintiffs seek to remove the Confederate names, mascots and vestiges, and to prevent any future school naming involving Confederate leaders or references to the Confederacy.

On May 10, the Shenandoah County School Board reversed a 2020 decision by a previous board to rename two schools after Confederate Generals Turner Ashby, Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson. In 2021, the schools on the division’s southern campus, which included North Fork Middle, were renamed from Stonewall Jackson High School to Mountain View, and Ashby-Lee Elementary School to Honey Run.

Shenandoah County Public Schools responded to a request for comment, but did not immediately provide remarks.

“This backward move has received a negative reaction all over the world, and the world is watching to see if this variety of the seeds of hate and disenfranchisement will take root and return Shenandoah County and the commonwealth of Virginia to the days when racial exclusion was the law of the land,” said Rev. Cozy Bailey, president of the Virginia NAACP.

Just another in a long line of NAACP suits to erase our history and it's venerated personalities.

Why must they be so mean spirited?

I mean they got them a fake national holiday coming up.

I hope Shenandoah County fights them tooth-n-nail.....This is the same county where much of the famed Stonewall Brigade was drawn from.

This is why people hate the NAACP.
RICHMOND, Va. — The Virginia NAACP on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against the Shenandoah County School Board for what it called “reaffirming discrimination,” after the school system voted to rebrand schools with Confederate names in May.

The lawsuit alleges that the school board violated the U.S. Constitution, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Equal Educational Opportunity Act. The plaintiffs seek to remove the Confederate names, mascots and vestiges, and to prevent any future school naming involving Confederate leaders or references to the Confederacy.

On May 10, the Shenandoah County School Board reversed a 2020 decision by a previous board to rename two schools after Confederate Generals Turner Ashby, Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson. In 2021, the schools on the division’s southern campus, which included North Fork Middle, were renamed from Stonewall Jackson High School to Mountain View, and Ashby-Lee Elementary School to Honey Run.

Shenandoah County Public Schools responded to a request for comment, but did not immediately provide remarks.

“This backward move has received a negative reaction all over the world, and the world is watching to see if this variety of the seeds of hate and disenfranchisement will take root and return Shenandoah County and the commonwealth of Virginia to the days when racial exclusion was the law of the land,” said Rev. Cozy Bailey, president of the Virginia NAACP.

Just another in a long line of NAACP suits to erase our history and it's venerated personalities.

Why must they be so mean spirited?

I mean they got them a fake national holiday coming up.

I hope Shenandoah County fights them tooth-n-nail.....This is the same county where much of the famed Stonewall Brigade was drawn from.
The NAACP trying their be$t to remain in the ole limelight with another power play!

Change the name of the school to “P Diddy” or “Jussie Smollett”, problem solved.

79F06920-F291-4465-A2D3-9838F76F2F29.jpeg

If it was in a blue shit-hole you would be fine with it.
I'd laugh at it where ever it was, just like I laugh at those commemorating defenders of slavery.

What morons think they're appropriate? Well, those who'd have defended the inferiority of the Black man, the Cornerstone of the Confederation, those morons.

I'd laugh at it where ever it was, just like I laugh at those commemorating defenders of slavery.

What morons think they're appropriate? Well, those who'd have defended the inferiority of the Black man, the Cornerstone of the Confederation, those morons.
If you ever come down my way I guess you will have to burn your boots. :laughing0301:

Forum List

Back