Voter ID blankets the old South

So 1/3 of black voters in the south don't have a drivers license?

Could swear I see more Cadillac's in front yards than ever before.

-Geaux

A third of voters in the state without photo ID are African-American.

Since there is no way to ever get the majority of these targeted people to vote Republican...they must do what they can to deny them the right to vote at all...

Voter ID blankets the old South - CBS News

I completely and totally do NOT understand why anybody objects to VOTER ID laws.

OK....for Jake and Ed,

The opposition to these laws is rooted in the fact that the early incarnations of it were done in such a manner as to catch voters "off guard" and were clearly designed to supress votes.

Now....the issue is more of a political ploy. I am not opposed to people having a voter ID card. I have a voter registration card.....it does not have my photo on it, but I am required to bring a photo ID with me when I vote.

As Jake has been pointing out, if the process is free and ABSOLUTELY reaches every single voter without exception, there is no problem. Liberals will not oppose such a process.

Here is the real problem now, however. The term " voter ID law " is now being used to cover all manner of other voter suppression acts. Like reducing the number of poll days and hours, reducing the number of polling stations, ending Sunday voting and ending same day registration.

All of those new rules are being pushed by Republicans.

Thus, there is opposition to "voter ID" laws from liberals.

Last edited:

Since republicans won't do anything worth voting for, all they have left is to suppress as many votes for democrats as they can.

That's what voter ID was all about in the first place..................voter suppression!

The New South is gravely concerned about the potential for voter fraud and is taking steps; including, guaranteeing that every US Citizen who is over 18 and that is not a felon has a voter ID card.... Hardly analogous to Jim Crow Laws.

Again, a solution looking for a problem. Bad politics.

This is nothing less than CBS (part of our lovely Democrat broadcasting system) spreading more lies to support the increase in racial divisiveness across the nation. Simple logic says we have an obligation to ensure fairness in our elections and to make it more difficult for fraudulent votes being cast by dead people, nonexistent people and people that have already voted legally one time in any one election.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Simple fairness, right? Many African Americans in South Carolina are dirt poor but refuse handouts, and many elderly African Americans there were born at home and don't have the required birth certificate because they weren't born in a hospital. Someone else raised the question of how they are managing to get their welfare. The fact that that person made the assumption that these people are actually on welfare is about as racist a comment as I've seen all year. The fact of the matter is that 1/3 of all African Americans in South Carolina don't have an ID, most of them Democrat, so you cannot tell me that the Republican held State house and their Governor is not targeting them specifically to disenfranchise them of their right to vote. And you folks thought the civil rights struggle in this country was over. Think again. Oh, by the way, the number of fraudulent votes cast in South Carolina last year? One. If this isn't a fix looking for a problem, I don't know what is.
Voter ID: State Requirements
From the State Election Commission's web site:
If you have a reasonable impediment to obtaining Photo ID, you may vote a provisional ballot after showing your non-photo voter registration card. A reasonable impediment is any valid reason, beyond your control, which created an obstacle to obtaining Photo ID. Some examples include:
Religious objection to being photographed
Disability or illness
Work schedule
Lack of transportation
Lack of birth certificate
Family responsibilities
Election within short time frame of implementation of Photo ID law (January 1, 2013)
Any other obstacle you find reasonable
To vote under the reasonable impediment exception:
Present your current, non-photo registration card at the polling place
Sign an affidavit stating why you could not obtain a Photo ID
Cast a provisional ballot that will be counted unless the county election commission has reason to believe your affidavit is false.
If you do NOT have Photo ID and do NOT have a reasonable impediment to obtaining one, or you simply forgot to bring it with you to the polls, you may still vote a provisional ballot. However, for your vote to be counted, you must provide one of the Photo IDs to the county election commission prior to certification of the election (usually Thursday or Friday after the election).​

So, it looks like your objections are groundless.

Except that provisional ballots ARE NOT COUNTED until 14 days after the election, and then only if the election results are disputed. I'd rather have my vote count, how about you?

Oh, and those exceptions don't apply in every state. A copy of a birth certificate can cost as much as $75, depending on the location.

Since there is no way to ever get the majority of these targeted people to vote Republican...they must do what they can to deny them the right to vote at all...

As has been pointed out so many times you need a photo I.D. to.
Write a check
Get credit card
Open a bank account
Apply for a loan
Draw unemployment
Get a social security card
Apply for food stamps or any form of government assistance
You need a photo I.D. for these and many other things not listed if anyone wants to add something to the list feel free but give me a break about a needing a photo I.D. to vote as being a unfair burden given how many things you need one for already.

Babies can get social security cards without a photo ID.

Throughout the Voter ID debate, it has been sited many times on the necessity for State issued Identification cards ... Entrance to Government facilities, prescription medicine, Obamacare, Employment. Liberals yell and scream how many minorities DON'T have state issued ID cards. Has anyone seen or heard liberals yell and scream to get state issued ID into the hands of minorities for the essentials of everyday life? No... And you won't. It is far more valuable to liberals for a disproportionate number of minorities and disadvantaged NOT to have state issued ID.

What a ridiculous statement. Explain your theory.

How in the hell are they getting food stamps and welfare? What in the hell is an African American?

Af·ri·can–Amer·i·can
noun \ˌa-fri-kə-nə-ˈmer-ə-kən, -ˈme-rə- also ˌä-\

1.) A person of African decent born in the US that has been brainwashed into beliving their ancestors were kidnapped from an African utopia by white Americans and forced into slavery. In reality their ancestors were forced into slavery by other warring tribes and sold into bondage to muslim and portugese merchants.

2.) A perpetual victim of the democrat establishment, still enslaved through a system that provides minimal sustenance, squalid living conditions and a never ending threat of violence.

3.) A person who clings to the belief their African heritage is the most important aspect of their lives and gives them license to reject any loyalty to their American heritage.

All of my personal papers magically disappeared when I moved. I spent nearly an entire day at the Social Security office, mostly sitting in the waiting area until my number was called. The next day I had to make a 150-mile round trip to get a copy of my birth certificate (they only accept in-person requests.)

This would not be easy for someone that runs the risk of being fired for missing work, or for someone that can't get a ride to wherever they were born.

Write a check
Get credit card
Open a bank account
Apply for a loan
Draw unemployment
You need a photo I.D. for these and many other things not listed if anyone wants to add something to the list feel free but give me a break about a needing a photo I.D. to vote as being a unfair burden given how many things you need one for already.

It saddens me that someone as stupid as you ever reproduced let alone managed to dirty the genepool with grandchildren.

If it hasn't escaped your attention retard, hospitals make certain that SS # applications are backed up with every sort of documentation available.

BTW, if it wasn't for childproof lids on household chemicals idiots like you would never have had children who survived.

Babies don't get their numbers at the hospital.

Oh, disagreeing with the likes of you doesn't make one stupid. Quite the opposite. But hey, you're doing a great job of dragging this site down. Go team you!

If you're too forking lazy or stupid to get an voter ID?

Do I really want you to vote?

I gotta tell yas...this doesn't happen too often but I think the DEMS are just completely nuts as it regards this issue.

Throughout the Voter ID debate, it has been sited many times on the necessity for State issued Identification cards ... Entrance to Government facilities, prescription medicine, Obamacare, Employment. Liberals yell and scream how many minorities DON'T have state issued ID cards. Has anyone seen or heard liberals yell and scream to get state issued ID into the hands of minorities for the essentials of everyday life? No... And you won't. It is far more valuable to liberals for a disproportionate number of minorities and disadvantaged NOT to have state issued ID.

Proponents of Voter ID are told that it will hurt minority participation in elections since many of them don't have state issued ID. For all of the areas in our lives for which we need state issued ID, where are the voices from Liberals calling to make state issued ID easier and free to obtain?

Think.

You sure do like to throw out unsupported stats.
Unsupported?
Yes, unsupported. Generally, you need to post the source when you post the stats, not frantically look for one later.

Between 200[0] and 2010 there were 649 million votes cast in general elections and 13 cases of in-person voter impersonation.
13 cases out of 649,000,000 votes cast, were convicted of actual voter fraud.

Do the math!
Okay. According to these figures, the percentage you claimed -- 0.0006% -- is wrong.

Unsupported.

Meanwhile, from your hastily-Googled link:
VOTER FRAUD FACT: The Koch Brothers and Rupert Murdoch are behind a lot of the Voter Fraud Controversy in the United States. They stand to lose the most money and power if Republicans lose the election.

Organizations like Fox News (Murdoch) & ALEC (Koch Brothers) help to spread talking points and draft legislation to prevent low-incomes families, students, seniors and "minorities" from voting. Pay attention they tell you that Democrats are drinking the Kool Aid, but this is a manipulation tactic to control the people. Don't be fooled, get even and cast your vote.​
Partisan hack trash. And poorly-written trash at that.

Meanwhile, let's look at an old thread of mine: http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...r-the-outcome-of-the-mn-2008-senate-race.html

Hmmm...lots of voter fraud there. And you guys say it never happens! :lmao:

Plus, let's examine the Fed's case against the TX Voter ID law:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-a...emolishes-usdoj-s-case-against-voter-i-d.html
DoJ's star witness, who said a voter ID was too hard to obtain, actually had one. :lmao:

Write a check
Get credit card
Open a bank account
Apply for a loan
Draw unemployment

Where do you get babies from in my post? In any event I had my wallet stolen one time and had to get the drivers license also known as a photo I.D. in order to get the new social security card.

Last edited:
Simple fairness, right? Many African Americans in South Carolina are dirt poor but refuse handouts, and many elderly African Americans there were born at home and don't have the required birth certificate because they weren't born in a hospital. Someone else raised the question of how they are managing to get their welfare. The fact that that person made the assumption that these people are actually on welfare is about as racist a comment as I've seen all year. The fact of the matter is that 1/3 of all African Americans in South Carolina don't have an ID, most of them Democrat, so you cannot tell me that the Republican held State house and their Governor is not targeting them specifically to disenfranchise them of their right to vote. And you folks thought the civil rights struggle in this country was over. Think again. Oh, by the way, the number of fraudulent votes cast in South Carolina last year? One. If this isn't a fix looking for a problem, I don't know what is.
Voter ID: State Requirements
From the State Election Commission's web site:
If you have a reasonable impediment to obtaining Photo ID, you may vote a provisional ballot after showing your non-photo voter registration card. A reasonable impediment is any valid reason, beyond your control, which created an obstacle to obtaining Photo ID. Some examples include:
Religious objection to being photographed
Disability or illness
Work schedule
Lack of transportation
Lack of birth certificate
Family responsibilities
Election within short time frame of implementation of Photo ID law (January 1, 2013)
Any other obstacle you find reasonable
To vote under the reasonable impediment exception:
Present your current, non-photo registration card at the polling place
Sign an affidavit stating why you could not obtain a Photo ID
Cast a provisional ballot that will be counted unless the county election commission has reason to believe your affidavit is false.
If you do NOT have Photo ID and do NOT have a reasonable impediment to obtaining one, or you simply forgot to bring it with you to the polls, you may still vote a provisional ballot. However, for your vote to be counted, you must provide one of the Photo IDs to the county election commission prior to certification of the election (usually Thursday or Friday after the election).​

So, it looks like your objections are groundless.

Except that provisional ballots ARE NOT COUNTED until 14 days after the election, and then only if the election results are disputed. I'd rather have my vote count, how about you?

Oh, and those exceptions don't apply in every state. A copy of a birth certificate can cost as much as $75, depending on the location.

My vote counts because I have state-issued ID -- which I also use to purchase alcohol and tobacco, drive, rent a house, go to school, and other normal daily activities which require me to prove I am who I say I am.

The left assumes that some people never do any of these things. But then, the left has a vested interest in illegal voting.

If you're that concerned, find someone who needs a copy of their birth certificate and pony up for them.

Proponents of Voter ID are told that it will hurt minority participation in elections since many of them don't have state issued ID. For all of the areas in our lives for which we need state issued ID, where are the voices from Liberals calling to make state issued ID easier and free to obtain?

Think.

Think?

We are discussing the right to vote. All other reasons why one needs a state issued ID pale in comparison.

One, those who attacks a member's family because he can't carry the argument is a stain in the gene pool.

Two, I have seen no empirical data that would dictate voter ID.

Three, however, I can agree with the concept of confidence in voter ID.

Four, as long as voter ID acquisition is free and not onerous, then I agree.

Five, any effort to "suppress" the vote by manipulating laws, times, etc., should be a crime if such behavior is aimed to enhance one party's chances for success at election time.

Think.

Think?

We are discussing the right to vote. All other reasons why one needs a state issued ID pale in comparison.

A core part of the discussion is state issued ID. Should access to state issued IDs be made easier? If so, why aren't those against the use of IDs in elections proponents of plans for state issued IDs given their necessities for all other services?

As long as getting the IDs are free and the task is not onerous, then no problem.

If the ID costs, then it is a poll tax.

If getting it is onerous, then it is designed to suppress voters from exercising their rights.

And, yes, the butt heads on the far left and the far right are making mountains out of what should be nothing.

Very true.

I posted this a while back but it seems to have been strengthened by the ID laws that are being put into place.

-For the first time in recent memory, Texas elected enough democrats to the house to deprive the GOP of a super-majority.

-In Jefferson County, Dems won every race where they fielded a candidate against a Republican; incumbent or otherwise. Jefferson County is in Alabama--suburban Birmingham.

The tide is turning slowly. Hispanics that come here from south of the border have a hard time reckoning with the GOP who wants smaller government. In many of the impoverished areas of Mexico and Central America, there is no government and it is a cruel world for people that live there. It's easy to see why some Hispanics do not wish to import that sort of maniacal lifestyle into portions of the US.

Republicans can sense the shift away from them and are trying to come up with any measure that will slow the drop-off in their numbers. Eventually that means a drop off in revenue from the rank and file.

I don't think they need to do this and alienate voting blocks in the process though.

If the law is applied evenly in Tupelo, I don't think you'll have a majority of black and brown people being barred from voting. Rather, retirees who have lost track of when their drivers license has expired, can't pass a driving test and failed to get alternate ID, or those who simply never had one will be the real "victims" of requiring such.

I continue to propose that the Feds mandate that all VRCs simply become a photo ID and this ends the whole "two document" BS argument.

Think.

Think?

A core part of the discussion is state issued ID. Should access to state issued IDs be made easier? If so, why aren't those against the use of IDs in elections proponents of plans for state issued IDs given their necessities for all other services?

Strawman. Nobody is a "proponent of plans for state issued ID's". They are a fact of life. We need to be able to identify ourselves if we want to participate in this society and this economy.

Nobody is suggesting that voters do not need to identify themselves. What we are saying is that what is accepted as voter identification needs to be free to obtain and must not be IN ANY WAY DIFFICULT TO OBTAN FOR EVEN A SINGLE VOTER.

I have fully addressed the reason why these laws are facing opposition few posts up. No further discussion is needed.

Forum List

Back