Voter ID blankets the old South

Think?

We are discussing the right to vote. All other reasons why one needs a state issued ID pale in comparison.

A core part of the discussion is state issued ID. Should access to state issued IDs be made easier? If so, why aren't those against the use of IDs in elections proponents of plans for state issued IDs given their necessities for all other services?

Strawman. Nobody is a "proponent of plans for state issued ID's". They are a fact of life. We need to be able to identify ourselves if we want to participate in this society and this economy.

Nobody is suggesting that voters do not need to identify themselves. What we are saying is that what is accepted as voter identification needs to be free to obtain and must not be IN ANY WAY DIFFICULT TO OBTAN FOR EVEN A SINGLE VOTER.

I have fully addressed the reason why these laws are facing opposition few posts up. No further discussion is needed.

People need state issued IDs for services and privileges as I have described above...OR, then, those services. e.g. healthcare, entrance into government buildings, airline travel, and Obamacare need to remove their ID requirements.

The far right now is in favor of mandatory fed and state ID cards for everything?

Times have changed.

So you're saying convictions by the feds are the only ones that count, REALLY?
You wanna do this with "non-fed" convictions? Okay, I'm game. And I'll still only use the link "you" provided.

In 2008, the [U.S. Supreme] court recognized the threat posed by voter fraud and ruled that Indiana's photo ID requirement was a legitimate, non-discriminatory means of protecting the integrity of elections. The Supreme Court upheld Indiana's law despite no concrete evidence of fraud in Indiana's elections.
So the state of Indiana spent all this time and money trying to prevent something that hadn't occurred in their elections.

I just pulled an easy reference for my state to prove how skewed your numbers were.
"Skewed numbers?"

Out of the "50" claimed convictions, only 26 were actual convictions. And of that 26, only 2 were convicted of "voter impersonation".

That doesn't sound like an epidemic.

You may not think the problem is that bad, I say if even one legitimate vote is canceled by fraud the problem is that bad and it should be stopped. But then I've never been one to coddle criminals like the left.
How does someone voting as someone else, cancel a vote?

If you can't see how a fraudulent vote cancels a legitimate vote there is no reason to continue this discussion. By the way, a state doesn't need a reason to improve their election integrity, just improving the system is reason enough.

For all you folks that think having an ID to exercise a right is wrong, how about we eliminate the need for an ID to buy a gun, after all you have a right to own a gun. Any argument you can come up with for the need to have an ID to buy a gun can be used as an argument for voter ID. Prove me wrong.

If you can't see how a fraudulent vote cancels a legitimate vote there is no reason to continue this discussion.
Okay, I see your point.

Now let me ask you this, "If someone told you that drinking one beer will kill off a few brain cells, do you consider the loss of those few brain cells, a big enough deal, to never drink a beer for the rest of your life and launch into a campaign to warn others of the danger?"

Is saving those few brain cells you lose, from that one beer, worth all that time and energy?

By the way, a state doesn't need a reason to improve their election integrity, just improving the system is reason enough.
How do you improve something, that prevents something, that never occurred?

The status quo remains, before and after your so-called improvement.

Let's cut the crap and fuck this verbal foreplay! You and I both know this is about voter suppression, not voter fraud!

If you can't see how a fraudulent vote cancels a legitimate vote there is no reason to continue this discussion.
Okay, I see your point.

Now let me ask you this, "If someone told you that drinking one beer will kill off a few brain cells, do you consider the loss of those few brain cells, a big enough deal, to never drink a beer for the rest of your life and launch into a campaign to warn others of the danger?"

Is saving those few brain cells you lose, from that one beer, worth all that time and energy?

By the way, a state doesn't need a reason to improve their election integrity, just improving the system is reason enough.

Let's cut the crap and fuck this verbal foreplay! You and I both know this is about voter suppression, not voter fraud!

No the left wants to make this about voter suppression and we both provided proof that it does occur, so taking steps to eliminate it are appropriate. You folks want to only look at this in the light of federal level elections, there are thousands of small towns in this country where elections are determined by a hand full of votes, fruad could have a mojor impact on those towns and often does.

A third of voters in the state without photo ID are African-American.

Since there is no way to ever get the majority of these targeted people to vote Republican...they must do what they can to deny them the right to vote at all...

Voter ID blankets the old South - CBS News

So what? There's NOTHING stopping them from obtaining some sort of photo ID. Now maybe you can educate me and point out valid reasons why the people in question can't obtain a valid photo ID and that would be great. Please don't say it's for economic reasons because most of the cost for such state issued ID's are pretty nominal.

Okay, I see your point.

No the left wants to make this about voter suppression and we both provided proof that it does occur, so taking steps to eliminate it are appropriate. You folks want to only look at this in the light of federal level elections, there are thousands of small towns in this country where elections are determined by a hand full of votes, fruad could have a mojor impact on those towns and often does.

Fraud "could" but you have not proved an insurmountable obstacle to voting fraud that can only be avoided by photo ID.

(1) Voter ID is something I approve of, as long as (2) the former attempts to make it suppressive in terms of fees and obstacles are eliminated as required by the courts.

I'm not kidding. Why does South Africa demand it's populace to show voter ID?

But America can't?

Just so everyone knows South Africa really does demand voter ID. This is truth and this is why one should know that everything about America's left wing trying to say that ID is voter suppression is bullshit.

What SA does, TD, is immaterial.

We are Americans, and we do as we want, without worrying what the world thinks. That is a good conservative position, nu?

However, I have no problems with Voter ID as long as (1) it's free and (2) no oppressive obstacles are put in the way.

Okay, I see your point.

Fraud "could" but you have not proved an insurmountable obstacle to voting fraud that can only be avoided by photo ID.

(1) Voter ID is something I approve of, as long as (2) the former attempts to make it suppressive in terms of fees and obstacles are eliminated as required by the courts.

Guess you didn't read the post where a councilman in TX was convicted of recruiting foreign nationals to vote in an election decided by 19 votes. Proper voter ID would prevent this and people voting for dead relatives or assuming the ID of others. ACORN and the SEIU voter registration drives have proven people have no problem lying on a voter registration cards.

Guess you didn't read the post where a councilman in TX was convicted of recruiting foreign nationals to vote in an election decided by 19 votes..

In and of itself, the problem there were the local officials not the system.

Once again "(1) Voter ID is something I approve of, as long as (2) the former attempts to make it suppressive in terms of fees and obstacles are eliminated as required by the courts."

We in the GOP have to make sure our crooks who debase the voting system are handled as harshly as the Dem crooks trying to do it.

One side may be trying voter fraud and the other voter suppression.

Send the perps to jail.

Forum List

Back