VW To Recognize UAW Workers In Tennessee

Dana7360

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2014
It looks like at least about half the workers at the VW plant in Tennessee are going to be recognized as union workers by VW.

The company always wanted their work force to be union. About half of the workers have joined a recently formed union local in Chattanooga. Those workers will be recognized as union workers by VW. Any worker who joins that union will be recognized as union workers by VW.

UAW Expects Chattanooga Local to be Recognized by Volkswagen - WSJ - WSJ

You have to be a subscriber to read the full article. Some of the article at the following site if you're not a subscriber to the WSJ.

BREAKING: Volkswagen To Recognize UAW In Tennessee

I've been hearing about this for quite some time. For some reason VW actually wants to have to deal with the UAW.
This is a first as far as I know, and seems completely insane.

I've been hearing about this for quite some time. For some reason VW actually wants to have to deal with the UAW.

They know what they're doing. VW has been union in almost all it's factories for many decades. It doesn't seem to hurt them in the slightest.

They know what they're doing. VW has been union in almost all it's factories for many decades. It doesn't seem to hurt them in the slightest.
But why would the WANT them to unionize ? Are they incapable of running their factory on their own without outside interference ? Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

NO, it only seems insane to you.

You see, German companies have something called "Work Councils". They are like unions, but they are organized within companies. It actually saves them a lot of trouble because the unions work out the things like training and professional development and medical plans. (Germany has universal health care, but it is multi-plan run by a combination of government entities.

German workers are usually happier, more productive and more motivated then their American counterparts.

But why would the WANT them to unionize ? Are they incapable of running their factory on their own without outside interference ? Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Good companies want motivated, involved employees. I know this is an alien concept to a lot of you wingnuts.

Good companies want motivated, involved employees. I know this is an alien concept to a lot of you wingnuts.

And only unions can give you that ?

I know plenty of people who are quite happy with their employers, and they don't have to deal with a union.

IMO unions only divide the relationship between employees and employers. They contribute to a climate of mistrust.

Most companies cannot be strutted and are not trustworthy so workers need to be on constant alarm vs their employers

Workers aren't outside influence.

Take a look at what's been going on in Germany for at least 5 decades. By law there must be a certain number of workers on the boards of companies. All workers are union and participate with the company well beyond doing their job. They contribute to make the workplace more safe and efficient. Workers save them money. They know how to do jobs faster and with less waste.

Here in America some of the higher skilled workers are union. There's a reason for that. Unions encourage and contribute to continued education for workers. They have on going apprentice programs that properly teach workers how to do the job.

I know plenty of people who are quite happy with their employers, and they don't have to deal with a union.

IMO unions only divide the relationship between employees and employers. They contribute to a climate of mistrust.

Actually, what contributes to mistrust is that employers are usually lying sacks of shit who will try to cheat you at every opportunity. I've honestly never worked for a civilian employer who didn't lie to me.

All a Union does is make sure they keep their promises.

Workers aren't outside influence.

Take a look at what's been going on in Germany for at least 5 decades. By law there must be a certain number of workers on the boards of companies. All workers are union and participate with the company well beyond doing their job. They contribute to make the workplace more safe and efficient. Workers save them money. They know how to do jobs faster and with less waste.

Here in America some of the higher skilled workers are union. There's a reason for that. Unions encourage and contribute to continued education for workers. They have on going apprentice programs that properly teach workers how to do the job.

Take a look at Detroit. If not for government bailouts, GM and Chrysler wouldn't exist. Unions played a hand in bankrupting these companies.
Automotive manufacturers have been doing just fine in the south without unions, and when put to a vote most employees didn't want them as well.
Do you want unions forced on the employees ?

Actually, what contributes to mistrust is that employers are usually lying sacks of shit who will try to cheat you at every opportunity. I've honestly never worked for a civilian employer who didn't lie to me.

All a Union does is make sure they keep their promises.

They probably lied to you, because frankly based on your attitude on this board, they probably found you to be a hostile employee that brought an attitude to the job.

Take a look at Detroit. If not for government bailouts, GM and Chrysler wouldn't exist. Unions played a hand in bankrupting these companies.
Automotive manufacturers have been doing just fine in the south without unions, and when put to a vote most employees didn't want them as well.
Do you want unions forced on the employees ?

Your argument 'look at Detroit" would only be valid if Detroit had lost all that market share to Non-Union, Libertarian, free market types.

They didn't.

They lost that market share to Japanese and German Automakers that were heavily unionized and were in countries with Socialized Medicine.

And, no, they are not doing "Well" in the south. the thing is, the American Auto buyer now equates Japanese and German with auto quality, not American.

Those decisions were not made in the Union Halls, they were made in the corner offices. If you get a list of the 10 worst cars ever designed, you end up with 9 American Cars and the Yugo.

They probably lied to you, because frankly based on your attitude on this board, they probably found you to be a hostile employee that brought an attitude to the job.

Oh, gasp, "Attitude". right.

That makes it okay to lie to employees. Hey, maybe I have an attitude because I've been lied to? Repeatedly.

Forum List

Back