VW To Recognize UAW Workers In Tennessee

Nah, I've known it ever since he told me he's been fired from 17 jobs and each and every time it was an unjustified firing.

Pretty obvious why he supports unions.

Except I never said anything remotely like that.

Do you know how many times I've been let go from a job?

Exactly 3. Once because the entire company went out of business, once because the company eliminated an entire division that I happened to be working in, and once because I had medical issues and they illegally fired me AFTER paying me a bunch of "please don't sue us" money.

I've been hearing about this for quite some time. For some reason VW actually wants to have to deal with the UAW.
This is a first as far as I know, and seems completely insane.

They know what they're doing. VW has been union in almost all it's factories for many decades. It doesn't seem to hurt them in the slightest.
But why would the WANT them to unionize ? Are they incapable of running their factory on their own without outside interference ? Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.
But VW does not consider it "interference"!!!!
In Germany the union has seats on the Board of Directors so the workers have a say in everything the company does!

Do you nutters realize that it only takes about half the man hours to produce a car as it did a couple decades ago? I didn`t think so. They`ve got these new fangled things called robots that cost about 7K each and they`re average life span is 3 years. The workers couldn`t compete with that even if they made $5 an hour. Now you know something....maybe.

But it's not just robotics. It's that at one time, when you bought a Chrysler or a Ford, those companies didn't just make the car, they made the components. Now all the components are made by other companies, mostly overseas.

So what you had was a situation where the car companies were SUPPOSED to set aside money for pensions and medical benefits for their retirees, but instead they paid out huge salaries to executives and big dividends to shareholders.

And what pissed of the rich about Obama's Auto Bailout is he took care of the workers first. That fucking Kenyan, Communist Bastard! He must hate America!

I've been hearing about this for quite some time. For some reason VW actually wants to have to deal with the UAW.

They know what they're doing. VW has been union in almost all it's factories for many decades. It doesn't seem to hurt them in the slightest.
But why would the WANT them to unionize ? Are they incapable of running their factory on their own without outside interference ? Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Workers aren't outside influence.

Take a look at what's been going on in Germany for at least 5 decades. By law there must be a certain number of workers on the boards of companies. All workers are union and participate with the company well beyond doing their job. They contribute to make the workplace more safe and efficient. Workers save them money. They know how to do jobs faster and with less waste.

Here in America some of the higher skilled workers are union. There's a reason for that. Unions encourage and contribute to continued education for workers. They have on going apprentice programs that properly teach workers how to do the job.

Take a look at Detroit. If not for government bailouts, GM and Chrysler wouldn't exist. Unions played a hand in bankrupting these companies.
Automotive manufacturers have been doing just fine in the south without unions, and when put to a vote most employees didn't want them as well.
Do you want unions forced on the employees ?
Baloney!
Detroit Auto manufacturers failed because of the mismanagement inherent in Capitalism. :D

I think so too.

I bet the other automakers there in the south would like to ring VW's neck for this. Once one falls to the unions, it's likely to spread.

The Japanese automakers probably don't care.

The real problem in the South is that Unionization is seen as one of those "Yankee" things.

The South. They're still mean, they're still stupid - and proud of it.

I think so too.

I bet the other automakers there in the south would like to ring VW's neck for this. Once one falls to the unions, it's likely to spread.

The Japanese automakers probably don't care.

The real problem in the South is that Unionization is seen as one of those "Yankee" things.

The South. They're still mean, they're still stupid - and proud of it.

You forgot...poor.

She also talked about limits on discipline built into union contracts that make it difficult to punish no-shows. For example, an employee can only be discharged for excessive absenteeism after seven occurrences while consecutive absent days are considered one occurrence.

That doesn't sound unreasonable. People have kids who get sick, they have family emergencies, and so on.

YOu also left out this gem in the story.

Two years ago, Gov. Quinn brokered a state borrowing deal that froze fares until Dec. 31, 2011. The CTA still cut bus service by 18 percent and L service by 9 percent while laying off 1,057 workers.

The state now owes the CTA $102.7 million and is five months behind in payments, officials said.

So to recap, the state forced the CTA to freeze fares AND cut service and has owed them back revenues.

But, no, not, it's that CTA worker with the sick mother that's the problem.

That's probably an excused absence you are talking about, not a "no show"

Its only unreasonable to a lazy fuck such as yourself.

I found an example, you made some bullshit excuse over it, go fuck yourself.

That's probably an excused absence you are talking about, not a "no show"

Its only unreasonable to a lazy fuck such as yourself.

I found an example, you made some bullshit excuse over it, go fuck yourself.

You found an example that was bullshit. Nowhere in the article did it say how often they had noshows or how endemic the problem was. (I'm guessing, not very, those CTA jobs are SWEET. )

If you don't think that the unions are at least 1/3 of the reason Detroit failed, then there simply is no help for you sonny.

You still haven't made that case. I mean, other than your kneejerk horror that working people might have rights somewhere, the Unions guys weren't the ones who designed the cars people didn't want to buy. They were just the guys who put them together.

...and show up drunk (which they STILL do), and fuck up jobs, and sometimes sabotage things to make their jobs easier, general uncaring work (like finding a roach clip under the carpet, or a glove jammed between a frame & truck bed).

Do you nutters realize that it only takes about half the man hours to produce a car as it did a couple decades ago? I didn`t think so. They`ve got these new fangled things called robots that cost about 7K each and they`re average life span is 3 years. The workers couldn`t compete with that even if they made $5 an hour. Now you know something....maybe.

But it's not just robotics. It's that at one time, when you bought a Chrysler or a Ford, those companies didn't just make the car, they made the components. Now all the components are made by other companies, mostly overseas.

So what you had was a situation where the car companies were SUPPOSED to set aside money for pensions and medical benefits for their retirees, but instead they paid out huge salaries to executives and big dividends to shareholders.

And what pissed of the rich about Obama's Auto Bailout is he took care of the workers first. That fucking Kenyan, Communist Bastard! He must hate America!

Oh good, something else Joe doesn't know anything about.

Joe, auto manufacturers have relied on outside sources for parts for decades. In some cases they may own part of the company that builds their parts, but not always.

Do you really think that in 1965 Ford build EVERY single piece of the Ford Mustang in house? They did not.

Actually, the reverse of what you believe is true, in the 80s auto manufactures started utilizing vertical integration which meant they started buying the companies that they were getting the various parts from .

In fact, having these companies and being able to sell them off is what kept Ford from having to take a bailout like GM and Chrysler did.

But VW does not consider it "interference"!!!!
In Germany the union has seats on the Board of Directors so the workers have a say in everything the company does!

And that obviously fits the business model in Germany, but that doesn't mean it works effectively in a very competitive market in the U.S.

Joe, auto manufacturers have relied on outside sources for parts for decades. In some cases they may own part of the company that builds their parts, but not always.

Do you really think that in 1965 Ford build EVERY single piece of the Ford Mustang in house? They did not.

Actually, the reverse of what you believe is true, in the 80s auto manufactures started utilizing vertical integration which meant they started buying the companies that they were getting the various parts from .

In fact, having these companies and being able to sell them off is what kept Ford from having to take a bailout like GM and Chrysler did.

No kidding. Car builders have contracted out parts since the dawn of the auto industry! (Offhand, Model T carburetors and magnetos were contracted out, and companies have been buying Federal-Mogul engine bearings for over 100 years.)

I had a Jeep pickup...the engine was Jeep (AMC), but the transmission (Borg-Warner), transfer case (New Process), both axles (Dana), the steering gear, pump, and column (Saginaw), the alternator (Motorola), most of the interior switch-gear (Singer), the ignition system (Ford Duraspark), and the brake system (Bendix) were ALL outsourced! It is not new!

Trivia: which company (still around today) got its name from the grease-impregnated felt axle seals they were founded to supply for Model T's?

No kidding. Car builders have contracted out parts since the dawn of the auto industry! (Offhand, Model T carburetors and magnetos were contracted out, and companies have been buying Federal-Mogul engine bearings for over 100 years.)

I had a Jeep pickup...the engine was Jeep (AMC), but the transmission (Borg-Warner), transfer case (New Process), both axles (Dana), the steering gear, pump, and column (Saginaw), the alternator (Motorola), most of the interior switch-gear (Singer), the ignition system (Ford Duraspark), and the brake system (Bendix) were ALL outsourced! It is not new!

Trivia: which company (still around today) got its name from the grease-impregnated felt axle seals they were founded to supply for Model T's?

I believe that is Fel-Pro

Guy, I work in manufacturing, i know more about it than you do. IN fact, company I currently work for provides components to the Auto Industry.

But, yes, the problem is - in part - that they had all these retirees they didn't put money aside for.

Forum List

Back