Wait what?? 100 - 0 for cloture!!

So he had this huge filibuster, where he basically made a fool of himself over nothing?

He voted to close it.

It's pretty crazy.

thats becasue it was not a filibuster, if he had yielded the floor the vote would have just come earlier....:rolleyes: ......

Oh..okay.

It wasn't a filibuster.

:lol:

Walks like a duck, talks like a duck..but it's really a chicken.

:eusa_shifty:

Anything the Senate does has to go back to the House and there it will get a tire-iron swung at Barry-Care.....today is just procedural....Cruz done good....his vote at the end meant nothing when it was already 99-zip...why look like a lunatic holdout?
ph34r_zpscc1df1bc.png

The vote was to fund all of the government except obamacare. No one expected any votes against it.

I didn't expect this at all!

:eek:

Washington (CNN) -- He spent more than 21 straight hours railing against any government funding for Obamacare. Then Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas joined the other 99 senators from both parties in voting Wednesday to move ahead on a spending plan expected to do just that.
The rare 100-0 vote on a procedural step means the spending measure that would avoid a partial government shutdown next week now can be amended by Senate Democrats to restore funding for President Barack Obama's signature health care reforms, which had been eliminated last week by House Republicans.

Surprise! Obamacare foe Cruz votes with Democrats on spending plan - CNN.com
:omg:

The vote was to open debate, not cloture, how stupid can one person be?

So the vote for cloture wasn't a vote for cloture.

Got it.

Anything the Senate does has to go back to the House and there it will get a tire-iron swung at Barry-Care.....today is just procedural....Cruz done good....his vote at the end meant nothing when it was already 99-zip...why look like a lunatic holdout?
ph34r_zpscc1df1bc.png

He looks like a lunatic anyway.

Least with a vote against cloture..he looks like a "pure" lunatic. :doubt:

After Cruz finished speaking, all 100 senators voted for cloture to advance the bill — even Cruz. In other words, that means Cruz spent 21 hours railing against ObamaCare and pleading with his colleagues to block the bill — even comparing those who said it could not be done to Nazi appeasers — only to turn around and do the opposite.

So he had this huge filibuster, where he basically made a fool of himself over nothing?

He voted to close it.

It's pretty crazy.

thats becasue it was not a filibuster, if he had yielded the floor the vote would have just come earlier....:rolleyes: ......

Oh..okay.

It wasn't a filibuster.

:lol:

Walks like a duck, talks like a duck..but it's really a chicken.

tell it to cnn and people with a brain dodo....

ph34r_zpscc1df1bc.png

He looks like a lunatic anyway.

Least with a vote against cloture..he looks like a "pure" lunatic. :doubt:

Listen, there are 100 Senators.....every one of them thinks they should be president. Cruz acted on his convictions....21 hours on his feet was it? That's what he felt needed to be done. MSM, even Fox, wasn't giving the opposition any airtime....Cruz got pub, a lot of pub for the cause. No need to look like a sore loser....he got no backup from anybody but Paul, who I think is a sandwich short of a picnic. He got the issue pretty well bucked out and that's what he meant to do.....100-0. Harry Reid is probably still trying to figure out what happened. :lol:

"Cruz, along with every other Republican senator that accompanied him on the floor during his speech, voted in favor of invoking cloture on the motion to proceed.

This sounds confusing — after all, Cruz just spent nearly an entire day railing against passage of the bill. But this was Cruz's plan all along. He opposes invoking cloture to end debate on the bill — that vote will come either Friday or Saturday.

Here's what Cruz said on the Senate floor Tuesday (emphasis added):

"The central vote the Senate will take on this fight will not occur today and it will not occur tomorrow. The first vote we are going to take on this is a vote on what is called cloture on the motion to proceed. Very few people not on this floor have any idea what that means and even, I suspect, a fair number of people on this floor are not quite sure what that means. That will simply be a vote whether to take up this bill and to begin debating this bill. I expect that vote to pass overwhelmingly, if not unanimously. Everyone agrees we ought to take this up, we ought to start this conversation.

The next vote we take will occur on Friday or Saturday and it will be on what is called cloture on the bill. That is the vote that matters. Cloture on the bill, the vote Friday or Saturday, is the vote that matters."

Read more: Government Shutdown, Ted Cruz And Obamacare: Where Senate Goes Now - Business Insider

Last edited:
It's a huge surprise for me.

Didn't see that one coming at all.

shows what a selfish pig Cruz is.

he did all of this, just for free airtime.

24 hours of pre-election campaigning for 2016.

That's another thing.

Didn't he watch the Republican Presidential Debates?

That provided an immense amount of material Democrats used against Romney.

What he's done is "Comedy Gold" for any adversary. He talked about Nazis and read Green Eggs in Ham, by that renowned liberal, Dr. Seuss.

It's really amazing how badly this guy shoots himself in the foot.

"Cruz, along with every other Republican senator that accompanied him on the floor during his speech, voted in favor of invoking cloture on the motion to proceed.

This sounds confusing — after all, Cruz just spent nearly an entire day railing against passage of the bill. But this was Cruz's plan all along. He opposes invoking cloture to end debate on the bill — that vote will come either Friday or Saturday.

Here's what Cruz said on the Senate floor Tuesday (emphasis added):

"The central vote the Senate will take on this fight will not occur today and it will not occur tomorrow. The first vote we are going to take on this is a vote on what is called cloture on the motion to proceed. Very few people not on this floor have any idea what that means and even, I suspect, a fair number of people on this floor are not quite sure what that means. That will simply be a vote whether to take up this bill and to begin debating this bill. I expect that vote to pass overwhelmingly, if not unanimously. Everyone agrees we ought to take this up, we ought to start this conversation.

The next vote we take will occur on Friday or Saturday and it will be on what is called cloture on the bill. That is the vote that matters. Cloture on the bill, the vote Friday or Saturday, is the vote that matters."

Read more: Government Shutdown, Ted Cruz And Obamacare: Where Senate Goes Now - Business Insider

So he's going to filibuster himself and pull a McConnell.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LBXqlYO4vQ]Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill - YouTube[/ame]

After Cruz finished speaking, all 100 senators voted for cloture to advance the bill — even Cruz. In other words, that means Cruz spent 21 hours railing against ObamaCare and pleading with his colleagues to block the bill — even comparing those who said it could not be done to Nazi appeasers — only to turn around and do the opposite.

Read this thread again. Maybe you'll understand.

It's a huge surprise for me.

Didn't see that one coming at all.

That's another thing.

What he's done is "Comedy Gold" for any adversary. He talked about Nazis and read Green Eggs in Ham, by that renowned liberal, Dr. Seuss.

at least he held the floor. sometimes they read names from the phone book to fill up time too.... Byrd used to open the cloak room door, keep one foot in the senate 'well' as procedure dictates he must to 'hold' the floor, lean into the cloak room and pee into a can so he would not be 'yielding'...

try not to sound like you were born 12 year ago and cannot educate yourself for a change....:rolleyes:

That's another thing.

at least he held the floor. sometimes they read names from the phone book to fill up time too.... Byrd used to open the cloak room door, keep one foot in the senate 'well' as procedure dictates he must to 'hold' the floor, lean into the cloak room and pee into a can so he would not be 'yielding'...

try not to sound like you were born 12 year ago and cannot educate yourself for a change....:rolleyes:

Y'know.

One of the things I posted in this thread..and in other threads..was praise of the procedure.

I agree with holding the floor.

If you filibuster, no one should go home until you get a vote one way or the other.

Try for once..not to be a total partisan Jack Wagon..for once.

That's another thing.

Y'know.

One of the things I posted in this thread..and in other threads..was praise of the procedure.

If you filibuster, no one should go home until you get a vote one way or the other.

then educate yourself, none of this requires a FOIA to gain access too, before going off on one of your toots......and there was nothing partisan about what I said, its fact, hello. We agree that a filibuster should be in person, good, but, please remember, it was not a filibuster, though yes it appeared to be one becasue the media loves to stir up shit, but a few made the point ala CNN, it wasn't, this was going to a vote no matter what, he just jaw-jacked to gain populist sppt.

Y'know.

then educate yourself, none of this requires a FOIA to gain access too, before going off on one of your toots......and there was nothing partisan about what I said, its fact, hello. We agree that a filibuster should be in person, good, but, please remember, it was not a filibuster, though yes it appeared to be one becasue the media loves to stir up shit, but a few made the point ala CNN, it wasn't, this was going to a vote no matter what, he just jaw-jacked to gain populist sppt.

Sorry bub.

Must have been because it's mired in Republispeak.

I don't have the dictionary to that language on hand.

Forum List

Back