Wait what?? 100 - 0 for cloture!!

Agreed.

It is also senseless to attempt to placate people who will settle for nothing less than the destruction of the American government.

If someone trades in a Lincoln Continental for a much smaller Toyota Camry, what did they destroy? NOTHING is the answer.

Wanting a smaller, less intrusive and less expensive government cannot be considered the destruction of the government.

Trying to bring about a smaller, less intrusive and less expensive government through shutting down the government can hardly be considered productive except by extremists.

Shutting down non-essential government services would wake people up. Unfortunately, the POS we have in the White House gets to pick and choose what gets shut down.

He already stopped school children visits to the White House to save money on couple of Secret Service salaries, but didn't hesitate to spend a few million taxpayers dollars on an African vacation that required several dozen Secret Service people.

I didn't expect this at all!

:eek:

Washington (CNN) -- He spent more than 21 straight hours railing against any government funding for Obamacare. Then Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas joined the other 99 senators from both parties in voting Wednesday to move ahead on a spending plan expected to do just that.
The rare 100-0 vote on a procedural step means the spending measure that would avoid a partial government shutdown next week now can be amended by Senate Democrats to restore funding for President Barack Obama's signature health care reforms, which had been eliminated last week by House Republicans.

Surprise! Obamacare foe Cruz votes with Democrats on spending plan - CNN.com

:omg:

Everybody knows he was just doing it to bolster support from fellow Tea Partiers - make them think he's with them. Not surprised.

Liberals obviously can't grasp the simple truth that Senator Cruz was fulfilling his campaign promise to his constituents and other supporters to attempt to block Obamacare any way he could.

Liberals obviously can't wrap their brains around the difference between inside the beltway old rino assholes like McCain and a true public servant like Senator Cruz.

And there is no doubt now whatsoever that Liberals cannot grasp the meaning of integrity and living up to one's pledge to his voters.

Current US policy is that we do not negotiate with terrorists

Shutting down the government is terrorism

Well, all I can say is that America's got one hell of a lot of RW terrorists out there because I've been listening to them call in to RW radio shows and, one after the other, they keep screaming to shut down the gov't unless they get what they want.

Talk radio and other RW pundits who have for years preached a "my-way-or-the-highway" take no prisoners philosophy of conservatism (which just so happens to reject compromise and careful analysis of issues as opposed to a knee-jerk emotional reaction which talk radio exploits) has created a nightmare for the GOP because they can't reign these people in. They won't listen to reason. Hell, they hate 'reason.'

You want to know one of the reasons why McCain lost in 2008 and Romney lost in 2012? They had to pander to these emotional extremists, and the rest of the electorate looked on in horror at the kind of people who now comprise the base of the Republican Party.

Let the rest of America take a good hard look at these RWers. My prediction (such as it is) is that after listening to this RW emotional hissy fit, it's just going to completely turn off the rest of the electorate, and no amount of voter outreach in the next 3 years is going to repair the damage in the eyes of people who don't want the inmates running the asylum.

Shutting down government, defaulting on debts, extortion

These are the current terroristic tactics embloyed by the GOP. How much longer will the American people tolerate it?

In other countries world wide the Republicans in the Senate would be known as "Members of the Loyal Opposition".

Conservatives in the House and Senate have not been voted in to come to Washington to obey their party's wishes, nor to obey Obama, nor to kneel down before Harry Reid.

They are there to represent the people who voted them into their positions and to fulfill the wishes of their constituents.

Don't you understand that?

Or do you just think every one elected to Washington should just fall down on their knees and obey the Democrats?

I suspect you do. How disgusting.

Well, all I can say is that America's got one hell of a lot of RW terrorists out there because I've been listening to them call in to RW radio shows and, one after the other, they keep screaming to shut down the gov't unless they get what they want.

Talk radio and other RW pundits who have for years preached a "my-way-or-the-highway" take no prisoners philosophy of conservatism (which just so happens to reject compromise and careful analysis of issues as opposed to a knee-jerk emotional reaction which talk radio exploits) has created a nightmare for the GOP because they can't reign these people in. They won't listen to reason. Hell, they hate 'reason.'

You want to know one of the reasons why McCain lost in 2008 and Romney lost in 2012? They had to pander to these emotional extremists, and the rest of the electorate looked on in horror at the kind of people who now comprise the base of the Republican Party.

Let the rest of America take a good hard look at these RWers. My prediction (such as it is) is that after listening to this RW emotional hissy fit, it's just going to completely turn off the rest of the electorate, and no amount of voter outreach in the next 3 years is going to repair the damage in the eyes of people who don't want the inmates running the asylum.

Shutting down government, defaulting on debts, extortion

These are the current terroristic tactics embloyed by the GOP. How much longer will the American people tolerate it?

In other countries world wide the Republicans in the Senate would be known as "Members of the Loyal Opposition".

Conservatives in the House and Senate have not been voted in to come to Washington to obey their party's wishes, nor to obey Obama, nor to kneel down before Harry Reid.

They are there to represent the people who voted them into their positions and to fulfill the wishes of their constituents.

Don't you understand that?

Or do you just think every one elected to Washington should just fall down on their knees and obey the Democrats?

I suspect you do. How disgusting.

The very LAST thing Republicans represent in Washington is average people. They are tied to K Street and their corporate masters to the exclusion of everything else.

Don't get me wrong. In the last 20 years or so (since Clinton and the DLC) Democrats have increasingly toed the line of corporate interests which is how we ended up with NAFTA and Graham Leach Bliley, but the Democrats are pikers compared to Republicans in this regard.

Gramm?Leach?Bliley Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the President and Senator Reid who are saying unless you fund everything we are going to shut the government down, who are shutting the government down.

I wish you would be honest for once.

For your remedial education on government, I suggest the "I'm Just a Bill" cartoon from the Schoolhouse Rock series.

That is, we do not pass laws by renegotiationg funding for every single law every time a budget comes up. To change a law, you ... get this ... pass a new law.

Therefore, if the Republicans would like to change the law, they need to win some elections so they can pass a new law. What seems to be happening is the Republicans are now admitting they have no hope of winning enough elections.

What's wrong [MENTION=39072]mamooth[/MENTION], can't stomach the taste of your own medicine? :lol:

Since when do you anti-constitutional fuck'n cretins give a fuck about the frderal government obeying the law?

Obama has literally violated the Constitution on no less than 3 occassions with Obamacare already (and before you expose your ignorance claiming he didn't - he has admitted it asshat) but I don't see you whining about that...

Agreed.

It is also senseless to attempt to placate people who will settle for nothing less than the destruction of the American government.

If someone trades in a Lincoln Continental for a much smaller Toyota Camry, what did they destroy? NOTHING is the answer.

Wanting a smaller, less intrusive and less expensive government cannot be considered the destruction of the government.

Trying to bring about a smaller, less intrusive and less expensive government through shutting down the government can hardly be considered productive except by extremists.

It can't be done another way since you guys keep breaking the law out of the insane belief that "the ends justify the means".

It's the vote to proceed you liberal wankers. Good grief. You really are more ignorant than I thought.

I know both countries procedures. For shame you libs that you don't even know how your own government works and yet you have the nerve to debate on a political forum.

From Ted's own mouth morons.

The first vote we are going to take on this is a vote on what is called cloture on the motion to proceed.

Very few people not on this floor have any idea what that means and even, I suspect, a fair number of people on this floor are not quite sure what that means.

That will simply be a vote whether to take up this bill and to begin debating this bill.

I expect that vote to pass overwhelmingly, if not unanimously. Everyone agrees we ought to take this up, we ought to start this conversation.

TRANSCRIPT: Sen. Ted Cruz's filibuster against Obamacare | The Washington Post

You guys keep saying this but the point is, why after the filibuster or whatever talking point you feel the need to use for what Cruz did for twenty some hours, would he vote to proceed. He doesn't want to debate anything. His plan is obstruction.

Just like all the other teabaggers.

Actually sweetie, it's Harry Reid and you libtards that keep obstructing the government, debate, and our legal process. It's Harry Reid who blocks bills from being voted on (even though his own party wants to vote on it - because they are voting with the GOP).

Don't try to mask the fact that you libtards just humiliated yourself with this thread by exposing the fact that you didn't know what was going on in the Senate... :lol:

Liberals obviously can't grasp the simple truth that Senator Cruz was fulfilling his campaign promise to his constituents and other supporters to attempt to block Obamacare any way he could.

Liberals obviously can't wrap their brains around the difference between inside the beltway old rino assholes like McCain and a true public servant like Senator Cruz.

And there is no doubt now whatsoever that Liberals cannot grasp the meaning of integrity and living up to one's pledge to his voters.

So, because Cruz lied to his constituents about being able to repeal Obamacare, he gets to shut down government to cover his ass

So, because Cruz lied to his constituents about being able to repeal Obamacare, he gets to shut down government to cover his ass

Obama has over spent this nation by $7 trillion in less than 5 years.

Barack Obama is shutting down the government because he can't show an ounce of restraint and spend within his budget.

Barack Obama is shutting down the government because he can't show an ounce of restraint and spend within his budget.

What did Obama spend $7 trillion on?

Bushs wars? Bushs tax cuts? Interest on Bushs debt?

Tell me how much Obama spending was?

What did Obama spend $7 trillion on?

Bushs wars? Bushs tax cuts? Interest on Bushs debt?

Tell me how much Obama spending was?
To much.

Nobody is dumb enough to follow that idiot's campaign promises for God's sake. Who would waste time doing that, there are so many other's in the senate that actually make sense and are working hard. Ted Cruz's self interests are not necessarily anyone else's interests.

Actually..no.

This is what a filibuster SHOULD look like.

A Senator with a gripe, takes the floor and holds it.

I really agree with that.

I kinda praise both Rand Paul and Ted Cruz for doing that.

But..

Voting for Cloture????

Really???

No, not really.

100 Senators voted for cloture on the motion to proceed. What that means is whether to take up this bill and to begin to debate the bill or to continue to filibuster.

Some don't believe the Senate should debate a bill before voting for or against it. And, some don't know that cloture on a motion to proceed allows said debate to begin.

Some in the Senate were not familiar with this procedure. So naturally, posters would be confused on this.

Ah..so this is a common procedure eh?

Get up before a vote and speak for 22 hours?

Generally, that's referred to as a "filibuster". At least it was in the old days.

:lol:

Damn whipper snappers and their new fangled watchma call its!

the gov. is shutdown?:eusa_shifty:

where? why wasn't I told:eusa_eh:

Your analogy doesn't work.

It's like trading a Boeing 777 commercial airliner for a fiat 500. It may well be smaller but it leaves alot of people out and doesn't go as far.

If the government were smaller it would be more efficient and there would be less waste and fraud ... because it would be smaller and easier to spot/find the problems. Who is 'left out' if the government is smaller?

Interesting..name one government in the world today..or throughout history that had a government like that.

I'd like to see how this model works.

Hmm..

[MENTION=13669]Zoom-boing[/MENTION] - Just looking for something you are talking about.

You know..in the real world..braugh.

you're attacking Obama for spending money on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars?????

you're attacking Obama for spending money on interest on the debt that was accrued before he was elected??

you're attacking Obama for spending money on all the people who were layed off due to the Recession that began under Bush????

wow, you're a real idiot.

[MENTION=30955]Rottweiler[/MENTION]

This is obviously about you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0]Billy Madison - Ultimate Insult (Academic Decathlon)[Forum Weapon][How To Troll][Ignorance Is Bliss] - YouTube[/ame]

No, not really.

100 Senators voted for cloture on the motion to proceed. What that means is whether to take up this bill and to begin to debate the bill or to continue to filibuster.

Some don't believe the Senate should debate a bill before voting for or against it. And, some don't know that cloture on a motion to proceed allows said debate to begin.

Some in the Senate were not familiar with this procedure. So naturally, posters would be confused on this.

Ah..so this is a common procedure eh?

Get up before a vote and speak for 22 hours?

Generally, that's referred to as a "filibuster". At least it was in the old days.

:lol:

Damn whipper snappers and their new fangled watchma call its!

see? thats why I call you an imbecile periodically though you could probably cop to that daily....you keep on and on and on with the BS, I told you what went down, why it wasn't a filibuster but like the Mujahideen issue, you refuse to digest facts and keep on with the idiocy.......you're obviously, well, stupid, what else is there to say? :doubt:

Forum List

Back