Wait what?? 100 - 0 for cloture!!

The real vote isnt till the end of the week.

Seriously, why doesnt our education system teach people anything about their government?

Why didnt Ted save his "filibuster" until AFTER the vote to proceed? Then he could have held up the bill till the end so that Reid wouldn't have time to strip the defunding provisions and send it back to the house.

This whole thing reeks of a publicity stunt. The House has already signaled they are going to back off. So we showed up to play hardball and proceeded to hit ourselves in the head with the fucking baseball bat.

Typical left, can't see the forest for the trees. The real vote isn't til Friday, they now can debate the bill. Do your homework, guys.

How freaking HUMILIATING for [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] and his libtard pals!!! They don't even know what's going on in their own government. They just know that equally ignorant libtards in the media told them that Ted Cruz did something "crazy"... :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

libtards don't look at facts.....they are like lemmings...

cloture on the motion to proceed is different than cloture on the bill....

Typical left, can't see the forest for the trees. The real vote isn't til Friday, they now can debate the bill. Do your homework, guys.

How freaking HUMILIATING for [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] and his libtard pals!!! They don't even know what's going on in their own government. They just know that equally ignorant libtards in the media told them that Ted Cruz did something "crazy"... :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fully aware of that ace.

And most bills don't even get to "proceed" to be debated..

Gridlock in Congress? Blame the GOP - CNN.com

Recent history is not your, or any other conservative that brings up this nonsense, strong point.

If someone trades in a Lincoln Continental for a much smaller Toyota Camry, what did they destroy? NOTHING is the answer.

Wanting a smaller, less intrusive and less expensive government cannot be considered the destruction of the government.

If Cruz wants to campaign for a smaller, leaner government then that is within his capabilities. Shutting down the entire government is not the way to achieve that

Except Cruz isn't the one trying to shut down the government. Defunding Obamacare is not shutting down the government. It's the President and Senator Reid who are saying unless you fund everything we are going to shut the government down, who are shutting the government down.

I wish you would be honest for once.

Wait a minute.

ObamaCare is not part of the government?

Is that what you are saying?

It's the President and Senator Reid who are saying unless you fund everything we are going to shut the government down, who are shutting the government down.

For your remedial education on government, I suggest the "I'm Just a Bill" cartoon from the Schoolhouse Rock series.

That is, we do not pass laws by renegotiationg funding for every single law every time a budget comes up. To change a law, you ... get this ... pass a new law.

Therefore, if the Republicans would like to change the law, they need to win some elections so they can pass a new law. What seems to be happening is the Republicans are now admitting they have no hope of winning enough elections.

Promising something you have no capability to deliver is outright deceit. It should not be celebrated

Shutting down government to make an appearance of filling such an empty promise is damn criminal

Agreed.

It is also senseless to attempt to placate people who will settle for nothing less than the destruction of the American government.

If someone trades in a Lincoln Continental for a much smaller Toyota Camry, what did they destroy? NOTHING is the answer.

Wanting a smaller, less intrusive and less expensive government cannot be considered the destruction of the government.

Your analogy doesn't work.

It's like trading a Boeing 777 commercial airliner for a fiat 500. It may well be smaller but it leaves alot of people out and doesn't go as far.

It's the President and Senator Reid who are saying unless you fund everything we are going to shut the government down, who are shutting the government down.

For your remedial education on government, I suggest the "I'm Just a Bill" cartoon from the Schoolhouse Rock series.

That is, we do not pass laws by renegotiationg funding for every single law every time a budget comes up. To change a law, you ... get this ... pass a new law.

Therefore, if the Republicans would like to change the law, they need to win some elections so they can pass a new law. What seems to be happening is the Republicans are now admitting they have no hope of winning enough elections.

They are trying something that's never been tried before. Killing a LAW by defunding it.

It's the kind of thing that is like "Yeah you can do it..but do you really want too?"

Like one can shoot themselves with a gun, but do you really want too?

Fully aware of that ace.

And most bills don't even get to "proceed" to be debated..

Gridlock in Congress? Blame the GOP - CNN.com

Recent history is not your, or any other conservative that brings up this nonsense, strong point.

It isn't the GOP it is Harry Reid who won't allow the vast majority of bills passed by the House to be debated on let alone voted on.
That is exactly why Cruz did what he did, plus other things.
In order to bring the bill up to be debated.
Harry Reid was not allowing it.
Reid just wanted an up or down vote without debate.
Then he was going to have his bill introduced and debated on for 30 hours.

Last edited:
Agreed.

It is also senseless to attempt to placate people who will settle for nothing less than the destruction of the American government.

It's like trading a Boeing 777 commercial airliner for a fiat 500. It may well be smaller but it leaves alot of people out and doesn't go as far.

If the government were smaller it would be more efficient and there would be less waste and fraud ... because it would be smaller and easier to spot/find the problems. Who is 'left out' if the government is smaller?

Promising something you have no capability to deliver is outright deceit. It should not be celebrated

Shutting down government to make an appearance of filling such an empty promise is damn criminal

Agreed.

Trying to bring about a smaller, less intrusive and less expensive government through shutting down the government can hardly be considered productive except by extremists.

It's the vote to proceed you liberal wankers. Good grief. You really are more ignorant than I thought.

I know both countries procedures. For shame you libs that you don't even know how your own government works and yet you have the nerve to debate on a political forum.

From Ted's own mouth morons.

The first vote we are going to take on this is a vote on what is called cloture on the motion to proceed.

Very few people not on this floor have any idea what that means and even, I suspect, a fair number of people on this floor are not quite sure what that means.

That will simply be a vote whether to take up this bill and to begin debating this bill.

I expect that vote to pass overwhelmingly, if not unanimously. Everyone agrees we ought to take this up, we ought to start this conversation.

TRANSCRIPT: Sen. Ted Cruz's filibuster against Obamacare | The Washington Post

You guys keep saying this but the point is, why after the filibuster or whatever talking point you feel the need to use for what Cruz did for twenty some hours, would he vote to proceed. He doesn't want to debate anything. His plan is obstruction.

Just like all the other teabaggers.

It's the vote to proceed you liberal wankers. Good grief. You really are more ignorant than I thought.

I know both countries procedures. For shame you libs that you don't even know how your own government works and yet you have the nerve to debate on a political forum.

The first vote we are going to take on this is a vote on what is called cloture on the motion to proceed.

Very few people not on this floor have any idea what that means and even, I suspect, a fair number of people on this floor are not quite sure what that means.

That will simply be a vote whether to take up this bill and to begin debating this bill.

I expect that vote to pass overwhelmingly, if not unanimously. Everyone agrees we ought to take this up, we ought to start this conversation.

You guys keep saying this but the point is, why after the filibuster or whatever talking point you feel the need to use for what Cruz did for twenty some hours, would he vote to proceed. He doesn't want to debate anything. His plan is obstruction.

Pure and simple.

His blathering served no purpose at all.

If the government were smaller it would be more efficient and there would be less waste and fraud ... because it would be smaller and easier to spot/find the problems. Who is 'left out' if the government is smaller?

Interesting..name one government in the world today..or throughout history that had a government like that.

I'd like to see how this model works.

If Cruz wants to campaign for a smaller, leaner government then that is within his capabilities. Shutting down the entire government is not the way to achieve that

Except Cruz isn't the one trying to shut down the government. Defunding Obamacare is not shutting down the government. It's the President and Senator Reid who are saying unless you fund everything we are going to shut the government down, who are shutting the government down.

I keep forgetting about Conservative bizzaro think

Unless I get my way....I will shut down government
Government shuts down? It is YOUR fault because you did not give me my way

Pure and simple.

His blathering served no purpose at all.

They're making excuses for Cruz but you are absolutely correct. Crazy ...

Current US policy is that we do not negotiate with terrorists

Shutting down the government is terrorism

Well, all I can say is that America's got one hell of a lot of RW terrorists out there because I've been listening to them call in to RW radio shows and, one after the other, they keep screaming to shut down the gov't unless they get what they want.

Talk radio and other RW pundits who have for years preached a "my-way-or-the-highway" take no prisoners philosophy of conservatism (which just so happens to reject compromise and careful analysis of issues as opposed to a knee-jerk emotional reaction which talk radio exploits) has created a nightmare for the GOP because they can't reign these people in. They won't listen to reason. Hell, they hate 'reason.'

You want to know one of the reasons why McCain lost in 2008 and Romney lost in 2012? They had to pander to these emotional extremists, and the rest of the electorate looked on in horror at the kind of people who now comprise the base of the Republican Party.

Let the rest of America take a good hard look at these RWers. My prediction (such as it is) is that after listening to this RW emotional hissy fit, it's just going to completely turn off the rest of the electorate, and no amount of voter outreach in the next 3 years is going to repair the damage in the eyes of people who don't want the inmates running the asylum.

Well, all I can say is that America's got one hell of a lot of RW terrorists out there because I've been listening to them call in to RW radio shows and, one after the other, they keep screaming to shut down the gov't unless they get what they want.

Talk radio and other RW pundits who have for years preached a "my-way-or-the-highway" take no prisoners philosophy of conservatism (which just so happens to reject compromise and careful analysis of issues as opposed to a knee-jerk emotional reaction which talk radio exploits) has created a nightmare for the GOP because they can't reign these people in. They won't listen to reason. Hell, they hate 'reason.'

You want to know one of the reasons why McCain lost in 2008 and Romney lost in 2012? They had to pander to these emotional extremists, and the rest of the electorate looked on in horror at the kind of people who now comprise the base of the Republican Party.

Let the rest of America take a good hard look at these RWers. My prediction (such as it is) is that after listening to this RW emotional hissy fit, it's just going to completely turn off the rest of the electorate, and no amount of voter outreach in the next 3 years is going to repair the damage in the eyes of people who don't want the inmates running the asylum.

Shutting down government, defaulting on debts, extortion

These are the current terroristic tactics embloyed by the GOP. How much longer will the American people tolerate it?

Forum List

Back