Wait what?? 100 - 0 for cloture!!

Is this one of those "I voted for it before I voted against it" ploys?

I don't get it

Gramps it's just a vote on whether to proceed or not. Of course everyone voted for it.

Here ya go...

The first vote we are going to take on this is a vote on what is called cloture on the motion to proceed.

Very few people not on this floor have any idea what that means and even, I suspect, a fair number of people on this floor are not quite sure what that means.

That will simply be a vote whether to take up this bill and to begin debating this bill. I expect that vote to pass overwhelmingly, if not unanimously.

Everyone agrees we ought to take this up, we ought to start this conversation.

TRANSCRIPT: Sen. Ted Cruz's filibuster against Obamacare | The Washington Post

You have any idea what the Senate has been like since 2010?

All bills have been stopped at this point.

They don't even debate them.

I posted McConnell voting to filibuster his own bill to show you.

Forget the "government shutdown", the legislator has been effectively shutdown since that time.

This whole exercise is nonsense and nonsensical.

I dunno but I'm royally confused.

if he had any integrity, he would have voted "no".

the damn bill defunds ObamaCare, and he filibustered it.

what an ass.

You obviously don't understand the difference between a senator being an irrational unconstructive obstructionist asshole and a senator being a rational constructive obstructionist member of the opposition...

"Constructive Obstructionist"?

Holy crap..that really makes absolutely no sense.

:lol:

Anything the Senate does has to go back to the House and there it will get a tire-iron swung at Barry-Care.....today is just procedural....Cruz done good....his vote at the end meant nothing when it was already 99-zip...why look like a lunatic holdout?
ph34r_zpscc1df1bc.png

The house will fold like a 10 dollar whore

No it won't.

They are trying something here..

They want Cruz to be the boogeyman and Cruz is happy to do it. They want the nation to focus it's anger on Cruz so they can shut down the government under cover.

It's not going to work.

Cruz did exactly what he told Rush he would not do today on the radio, then did it.

Cruz surrenders, not only on ACA, but any further political advancement.

Not really.

If the primaries of late were any indication of what Republicans want to do moving forward they are looking for a "True Believer". And snake oil salesmen Ted Cruz fills the bill. The problem is these guys can't see past the forest. Cruz has no chance in a general election for President.

None, zip, zero.

After reading a bit deeper I get it but most Americans wont bother to read a bit "deeper" and on the surface this looks very silly at best.

His constituents to whom he made his campaign promise to try to move heaven and earth to block Obamacare can be proud of the man they elected.

A public servant instead of a politician. There is a huge difference. A politician goes to Washington and then forfiets all their integrity to ride the gravy train of the dinner circuit and the Sunday talk shows.

Senator Cruz has just proven himself to be a public servant.

I started a thread complimenting Senator Dick Durbin as well for his testicular fortitude to go to the Senate floor and engage Cruz.

Kudos to Durbin.

Promising something you have no capability to deliver is outright deceit. It should not be celebrated

Shutting down government to make an appearance of filling such an empty promise is damn criminal

Last edited:
what he did today, just killed his chances of higher office.

and hopefully re-election.

What "higher office"? Unless Ted Cruz gets to play the same game as Barry Hussein his birth certificate will still indicate that he was born in Canada.

Cruz’s mother was a US citizen, meaning Cruz is a citizen as well.

No one disputes this yet it’s only conservatives who bring up the circumstances of the Senator’s birth.

Although technically eligible to be president, Cruz is otherwise ineligible as a consequence of his wrongheaded politics and his display of poor judgment, this fiasco today being proof of that poor judgment.

^ Leftist tolerance of diverse points of view on display.

Oh wait . . . .

After reading a bit deeper I get it but most Americans wont bother to read a bit "deeper" and on the surface this looks very silly at best.

His constituents to whom he made his campaign promise to try to move heaven and earth to block Obamacare can be proud of the man they elected.

A public servant instead of a politician. There is a huge difference. A politician goes to Washington and then forfiets all their integrity to ride the gravy train of the dinner circuit and the Sunday talk shows.

I started a thread complimenting Senator Dick Durbin as well for his testicular fortitude to go to the Senate floor and engage Cruz.

Kudos to Durbin.

Promising something you have no capability to deliver is outright deceit. It should not be celebrated

Shutting down government to make an appearance of filling such an empty promise is damn criminal

Agreed.

It is also senseless to attempt to placate people who will settle for nothing less than the destruction of the American government.

So he had this huge filibuster, where he basically made a fool of himself over nothing?

He voted to close it.

It's pretty crazy.

True.

And it wasn’t even a ‘filibuster,’ it was more of a petulant, pointless temper-tantrum.

Senate republicans don’t want any part of a government shutdown, and most are smart enough to know the ACA is here to stay.

Actually..no.

This is what a filibuster SHOULD look like.

A Senator with a gripe, takes the floor and holds it.

I really agree with that.

I kinda praise both Rand Paul and Ted Cruz for doing that.

But..

Voting for Cloture????

Really???

No, not really.

100 Senators voted for cloture on the motion to proceed. What that means is whether to take up this bill and to begin to debate the bill or to continue to filibuster.

Some don't believe the Senate should debate a bill before voting for or against it. And, some don't know that cloture on a motion to proceed allows said debate to begin.

Last edited:

From the comments made on USMB, either the Obama robots don't read any deeper or they don't want to know the truth.

I didn't expect this at all!

:eek:

Washington (CNN) -- He spent more than 21 straight hours railing against any government funding for Obamacare. Then Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas joined the other 99 senators from both parties in voting Wednesday to move ahead on a spending plan expected to do just that.
The rare 100-0 vote on a procedural step means the spending measure that would avoid a partial government shutdown next week now can be amended by Senate Democrats to restore funding for President Barack Obama's signature health care reforms, which had been eliminated last week by House Republicans.

Surprise! Obamacare foe Cruz votes with Democrats on spending plan - CNN.com
:omg:

The vote was to open debate, not cloture, how stupid can one person be?
You're talking about shallow....

He takes it as a personal challenge to be the stupidest in the room.

Kudos to Durbin.

Agreed.

It is also senseless to attempt to placate people who will settle for nothing less than the destruction of the American government.

If someone trades in a Lincoln Continental for a much smaller Toyota Camry, what did they destroy? NOTHING is the answer.

Wanting a smaller, less intrusive and less expensive government cannot be considered the destruction of the government.

When will the right stop looking for that next new hero. They throw full weight behind a guy like Cruz, then when he back tracks it makes repubs look weak and reactionary. All he did was Fillibuster and Repubs proclaimed him as a genius.

Then this happens.

When will the right stop looking for that next new hero. They throw full weight behind a guy like Cruz, then when he back tracks it makes repubs look weak and reactionary. All he did was Fillibuster and Repubs proclaimed him as a genius.

Then this happens.

Steve King called him "a fraud," on Morning Joe, and Coburn said he had the highest conservative rating over a nine year period, and the result of Cruz is he has constituents calling him a Rino ... because he admits he doesn't have the SIXTY SEVEN senate votes it'd take to defund Obamacare.

But, Ted Cruz is "a brave man." I'd laugh but the idiocy is really too much.

Last edited:

Kudos to Durbin.

Agreed.

Not the Destruction of the Government. They want to scale back the size.
The Majority of Americans think that Government has to much power.
This includes Repubs and Independents.
Views in U.S. That Gov't Is Too Powerful Show Little Change

Of course those who want to keep their powers in both parties are going to view this as a threat and say it is about the destruction of the Government, when in reality it's about taking their power away.
I would think that all Americans would want power back in their hands and not the government.
The poll show that Democrats think that Government has just the right amount of power.

True.

And it wasn’t even a ‘filibuster,’ it was more of a petulant, pointless temper-tantrum.

Senate republicans don’t want any part of a government shutdown, and most are smart enough to know the ACA is here to stay.

Actually..no.

This is what a filibuster SHOULD look like.

A Senator with a gripe, takes the floor and holds it.

I really agree with that.

I kinda praise both Rand Paul and Ted Cruz for doing that.

But..

Voting for Cloture????

Really???

No, not really.

100 Senators voted for cloture on the motion to proceed. What that means is whether to take up this bill and to begin to debate the bill or to continue to filibuster.

Some don't believe the Senate should debate a bill before voting for or against it. And, some don't know that cloture on a motion to proceed allows said debate to begin.

And that's not been the recent history..at all.

Filibusters have been the method to cut off bills before they are even considered.

Forum List

Back