Waiting period to buy a gun...?

Which is why we have all these restrictive gun laws, because some folks, such as yourself can't see beyond the tip of your own nose. No offense.
There's no reason to accept a situation where you only choice ids the lesser of two evils. In doing that you only ensure eventual defeat - or, in this case, the eventual elimination of the right to arms.
But, it is good to see you understand how it is impossible to compromise here.
Lesser of two evils sums up politics and law well. If you think it works any other way wrong-o.
So... what other rights are you willing to have taken away by a series of lesser of two evil choices?
"What do ya got?" - Marlon Brando :)
So... all of them.
Why bother with the concept of rights if you're willing to allow all of them to be stripped away, and believe we should all do the same?

Tea Party didn't compromise and now they're redundant in American politics.

There's no reason to accept a situation where you only choice ids the lesser of two evils. In doing that you only ensure eventual defeat - or, in this case, the eventual elimination of the right to arms.
But, it is good to see you understand how it is impossible to compromise here.
Lesser of two evils sums up politics and law well. If you think it works any other way wrong-o.
So... what other rights are you willing to have taken away by a series of lesser of two evil choices?
So... all of them.
Why bother with the concept of rights if you're willing to allow all of them to be stripped away, and believe we should all do the same?
You did not answer the question.

Apparently, some people still think this is not just a good idea, but necessary.
Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence Gun Law Information Experts

All I see in that article are a lot of unsupported claims about the benefits of waiting periods. It's not like we've never had a multi-year experience with waiting periods to examine and record the effects . . .

It is easy to claim that, "Waiting periods also help reduce suicides and other impulsive acts of violence." (bold in original) but it is claimed without any reference to a statistically relevant reduction in the five year period of the Brady Act before NICS came on line (1993-1998).

I see nothing mentioned about the actual impacts on suicide or crime either from the period I mention, when the entire nation was under a waiting period, or now, citing the benefits the states who impose a waiting period are now enjoying. I find that puzzling if such benefits actually exist[ed].

So... all of them.

No rights being taken away here. They're being protected in point of fact and a helluva lot more efficiently than the all-or-nothing approach. Your approach is doomed to failure, mine actually protects our rights to own weapons.

So... all of them.
No rights being taken away here. They're being protected in point of fact and a helluva lot more efficiently than the all-or-nothing approach. Your approach is doomed to failure, mine actually protects our rights to own weapons.
You already admitted that your course of action - taking the lesser of two evils offered - guarantees the rights will be eventually taken away.

So... all of them.
You already admitted that your course of action - taking the lesser of two evils offered - guarantees the rights will be eventually taken away.

No I didn't. Maybe somoene did but I know I didn't because I'm all about the Constitution.

Keep pushing the envelope and one day a sane majority on the Supreme Court will finally decide the right to own, possess or have in one's custody and control a gun is a privilege, not a right.

What possible explanation would be presented that would justify the Court not just up-heaving but completely reversing and rewriting the rights doctrine it has enforced since the beginning?

I don't know whether I should consider your statement as an ignorant flail in constitutional argument or treat it as some sort of poorly executed joke.

9-1-1

Making a threat or giving a 'reasonable person' reason to believe a threat has been made is a crime. Call the police.
LOL. That will help a bunch as he's pounding her face in.

I ran my agency's domestic violence unit, you don't know a damn thing about the dynamics of that issue, and your belief that an armed victim is protected is foolish.

Presenting a firearm in defense usually only escalates the encounter.
If you pull your gun and issue a final warning before you shoot, the situation has already escalated to the point where deadly force is justified.

Imagine many untrained gun users under combat stress lsoe control of their weapon to their attackers. And people who'd buy a gun in the first place to protect themselves against a known or likely threat may rely upon it instead of calling police, or use the weapon unjustifiably. Many scenarios where an untrained panicky person is worse off armed.

Actually, that doesn't happen often at all, in fact the opposite happens more often where the victim...fighting for their life, take the gun away from their attacker....

So... all of them.
No I didn't. Maybe somoene did but I know I didn't because I'm all about the Constitution.
As you said:
At what point do you stop accepting the lesser of two evils?

So... all of them.

Where in the Constitution does it require a waiting period "to keep and bear arms"?

9-1-1

Making a threat or giving a 'reasonable person' reason to believe a threat has been made is a crime. Call the police.
LOL. That will help a bunch as he's pounding her face in.

I ran my agency's domestic violence unit, you don't know a damn thing about the dynamics of that issue, and your belief that an armed victim is protected is foolish.

If you pull your gun and issue a final warning before you shoot, the situation has already escalated to the point where deadly force is justified.

Imagine many untrained gun users under combat stress lsoe control of their weapon to their attackers. And people who'd buy a gun in the first place to protect themselves against a known or likely threat may rely upon it instead of calling police, or use the weapon unjustifiably. Many scenarios where an untrained panicky person is worse off armed.

this is an article that looks at gun myths...many perpetuated by movies and television and parroted by anti gun journalists and activists...

The myth that gun owners will easily be disarmed by their attackers is addressed in here...the actual source for the information is the Cato Institutes paper..."Tough Targets" that looked at 5000 news stories on self defense use of guns in the media.....from 2003 to 2011....the article hist that papers highlights.....

Disarming the Myths Promoted By the Gun Control Lobby - Forbes

Whereas gun control proponents often argue that having a gun put people at risk because a criminal will take it away and use it against them, it seems the reality is more often to be the reverse situation. The Cato data contains only 11 stories out of 4,699 where a criminal took a gun away from a defender, but 277 where the intended victim disarmed the bad guy, although the authors acknowledge that these event reports may be printed more frequently due to newsworthiness.

Still, it should also be remembered that the threatened party often has more motivation to fight back than a criminal hoping for an easy score. There were 25 news reports where armed rape attack victims ultimately got the upper hand, and 65 where this occurred in carjacking attempts.

As you said:

And you got 'assures the taking away of a right' guaranteed in the Constitution from that? As Bugs Bunny said, "It could be you Doc'."

The game works by accepting compromise so you never stop doing so unless you've resigned yourself being eliminated from the game altogether. But accepting compromises that ensure law-abidding citizens keep their rights and curtails unlawful ones isn't any sort of threat to the law-abidding citizens.

None of thins negates the validity of what I said.
If the situation has risen to the point where you have a right to use deadly fore, pulling the gun cannot create an escalation.

In this specific point you're making sure. My point though was often times untrained people unaware of the laws regarding self-defense, as in the case of a first-time gun owner, they'll rely on the weapon prematurely, unjustifiably, or otherwise in error. You don't have a right to use lethal force because someone shoves you for example (except maybe in Florida when it's a black guy.) ;)

Or as is more often the case of black guys shooting other blacks, whites and latinos.......with or without the shoving....;)

Where in the Constitution does it require a waiting period "to keep and bear arms"?

Constitution doesn't say that as you well know. Or maybe ya don't never having bothered to actually read it.

Seem to be going off the rails with hypotheticals. This is about waiting periods. :)
Yes... and why gun owners should be willing to compromise with their rights when the other side has nothing to offer in return.

Without the compromise you're stuck on the unhappy end of a universal waiting period. With the compromise you wouldn't be effected by it. Thus the compromise is better. Sticking to your guns when doing so wont work is just stupid and self-defeating.

Until the anti gunners decide its not....and then they want something else....since the waiting period hasn't reduced gun murders the way they want......

As you said:
And you got 'assures the taking away of a right' guaranteed in the Constitution from that? As Bugs Bunny said, "It could be you Doc'."
The game works by accepting compromise so you never stop doing so unless you've resigned yourself being eliminated from the game altogether. But accepting compromises that ensure law-abidding citizens keep their rights and curtails unlawful ones isn't any sort of threat to the law-abidding citizens.
You apparently missed the various times I explained how it is, by definition, impossible to compromise with the people who want to take away gun rights as they have niohing to offer us in return for doing so.
Thus, any argument regarding compromise in this respect is necessarily unsound..

I ask again: At what point do you stop accepting the lesser of two evils?

Seem to be going off the rails with hypotheticals. This is about waiting periods. :)
Yes... and why gun owners should be willing to compromise with their rights when the other side has nothing to offer in return.
Without the compromise you're stuck on the unhappy end of a universal waiting period.
That's not at -all- necessarily so.
And it doesn't tell me what we get in return -- we give up something to get something in return; what do we get back?
You get the exemption to the waiting period as it only effects first-time gun buyers. Did you miss that part?
I get the point that, as you argue, all we get in return for allowing an infringement of our right is to not suffer a greater infringement of our right. That's not compromise, that's taking the lesser of two evils.

Compromise means we get something in return for what we give up; those that want more gun control cannot offer us anything in return for giving up part of our rights, and so it is impossible for us to compromise with them.

Exactly...

Constitution doesn't say that as you well know. Or maybe ya don't never having bothered to actually read it.

So you're not "all about the Constitution" then if you're for waiting periods. Can you say hypocrite?

Forum List

Back