Waiting period to buy a gun...?

LOL. That will help a bunch as he's pounding her face in.

I ran my agency's domestic violence unit, you don't know a damn thing about the dynamics of that issue, and your belief that an armed victim is protected is foolish.

Presenting a firearm in defense usually only escalates the encounter.
If you pull your gun and issue a final warning before you shoot, the situation has already escalated to the point where deadly force is justified.
Imagine many untrained gun users under combat stress lsoe control of their weapon to their attackers. And people who'd buy a gun in the first place to protect themselves against a known or likely threat may rely upon it instead of calling police, or use the weapon unjustifiably. Many scenarios where an untrained panicky person is worse off armed.
None of thins negates the validity of what I said.
If the situation has risen to the point where you have a right to use deadly fore, pulling the gun cannot create an escalation.

In this specific point you're making sure. My point though was often times untrained people unaware of the laws regarding self-defense, as in the case of a first-time gun owner, they'll rely on the weapon prematurely, unjustifiably, or otherwise in error. You don't have a right to use lethal force because someone shoves you for example (except maybe in Florida when it's a black guy.) ;)

What about a woman that gets fearful of some guy's threats and decides to finally arm herself. She has to wait 10 days but gets murdered in the mean time. Who did it help?

9-1-1

Making a threat or giving a 'reasonable person' reason to believe a threat has been made is a crime. Call the police.

That's true, and for those in a domestic violent situation see the link below to the Domestic Violence Hotline.

But if the perp. is able to access your computer call them at this number and make sure to delete it if he has access to your phone:

1-800-799-7233 | 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

The National Domestic Violence Hotline 24 7 Confidential Support
How does that work if the guy busts her door down? I've been a member on a LEO site for 10 years and can say with 100% certainty you're full of shit.
You say many things with "certainty", mostly you present as dumb as a box of rocks. Sometimes I wonder if you put on a dress and lipstick and post under the nom de plume Stephanie - yes you are that dumb.
Only a retard like you thinks your opinion matters more. I've seen and participated in many many such threads over there so I have a very good idea what cops in general say about DV situations. None of them that I've EVER seen prefers their wife or husband be at home unarmed.

The stupidity is all yours for trying to convince people you were in charge of any such "unit".

In this specific point you're making sure. My point though was often times untrained people unaware of the laws regarding self-defense, as in the case of a first-time gun owner, they'll rely on the weapon prematurely, unjustifiably, or otherwise in error.
Which is why, of course, anyone that buys a gun for self-defense should take some sort of training course to that effect.

In this specific point you're making sure. My point though was often times untrained people unaware of the laws regarding self-defense, as in the case of a first-time gun owner, they'll rely on the weapon prematurely, unjustifiably, or otherwise in error.
Which is why, of course, anyone that buys a gun for self-defense should take some sort of training course to that effect.

Have suggested tactical shooting courses. But I wouldn't say it should be legislated. A fine idea, but legally you can't compel it.

What about a woman that gets fearful of some guy's threats and decides to finally arm herself. She has to wait 10 days but gets murdered in the mean time. Who did it help?
9-1-1

Making a threat or giving a 'reasonable person' reason to believe a threat has been made is a crime. Call the police.

I ran my agency's domestic violence unit, you don't know a damn thing about the dynamics of that issue, and your belief that an armed victim is protected is foolish.

If you pull your gun and issue a final warning before you shoot, the situation has already escalated to the point where deadly force is justified.

Consider the case of DV. The wife and husband live together, and the arguing begins. The wife and the husband are feet apart, not the 7 or 10 yards where a shooter regularly practices. The wife pulls out the gun from a drawer or her apron. What happens next? Bang, bang, she's dead. Don't kid yourself, a stronger enraged man will get a fist to her much faster than she can secure the weapon and fire, he will get the gun and either kill her or beat her with it. Suggesting she issue a warning is ridiculous.

Have suggested tactical shooting courses. But I wouldn't say it should be legislated. A fine idea, but legally you can't compel it.
Agreed.

9-1-1

Consider the case of DV. The wife and husband live together, and the arguing begins. The wife and the husband are feet apart, not the 7 or 10 yards where a shooter regularly practices. The wife pulls out the gun from a drawer or her apron. What happens next? Bang, bang, she's dead. Don't kid yourself, a stronger enraged man will get a fist to her much faster than she can secure the weapon and fire, he will get the gun and either kill her or beat her with it. Suggesting she issue a warning is ridiculous.
In your scenario, as in others.
There are any number of others where is is not.
My point was that presenting the gun is not necessarily an escalation.

Seem to be going off the rails with hypotheticals. This is about waiting periods. :)
Yes... and why gun owners should be willing to compromise with their rights when the other side has nothing to offer in return.

Without the compromise you're stuck on the unhappy end of a universal waiting period. With the compromise you wouldn't be effected by it. Thus the compromise is better. Sticking to your guns when doing so wont work is just stupid and self-defeating.

Seem to be going off the rails with hypotheticals. This is about waiting periods. :)
Yes... and why gun owners should be willing to compromise with their rights when the other side has nothing to offer in return.
Without the compromise you're stuck on the unhappy end of a universal waiting period.
That's not at -all- necessarily so.
And it doesn't tell me what we get in return -- we give up something to get something in return; what do we get back?

Without the compromise you're stuck on the unhappy end of a universal waiting period.
And it doesn't tell me what we get in return -- we give up something to get something in return; what do we get back?

You get the exemption to the waiting period as it only effects first-time gun buyers. Did you miss that part?

You get the exemption to the waiting period as it only effects first-time gun buyers. Did you miss that part?
I get the point that, as you argue, all we get in return for allowing an infringement of our right is to not suffer a greater infringement of our right. That's not compromise, that's taking the lesser of two evils.

Compromise means we get something in return for what we give up; those that want more gun control cannot offer us anything in return for giving up part of our rights, and so it is impossible for us to compromise with them.

I get the point that, as you argue, all we get in return for allowing an infringement of our right is to not suffer a greater infringement of our right. That's not compromise, that's taking the lesser of two evils.

Compromise means we get something in return for what we give up; those that want more gun control cannot offer us anything in return for giving up part of our rights, and so it is impossible for us to compromise with them.

Which is why we have all these restrictive gun laws, because some folks, such as yourself can't see beyond the tip of your own nose. No offense.

Apparently, some people still think this is not just a good idea, but necessary.
Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence Gun Law Information Experts

To this end, a federal judge struck the waiting period on CA for most gun buyers
Federal judge strikes down California gun purchase waiting period in some cases Fox News

If a waiting period for an abortion is insufferable, how is if OK to force people to wait to buy a gun?
Fewer Waiting Periods For Guns Than For Abortions INFOGRAPHIC

I already own several guns and have a CCW permit -- why should I have to wait some arbitrary amount of time before I can exercise my right to arms?

No wait time in Texas and if you have a CHL it's less paper work.

Which is why we have all these restrictive gun laws, because some folks, such as yourself can't see beyond the tip of your own nose. No offense.
There's no reason to accept a situation where you only choice ids the lesser of two evils. In doing that you only ensure eventual defeat - or, in this case, the eventual elimination of the right to arms.

But, it is good to see you understand how it is impossible to compromise here.

There's no reason to accept a situation where you only choice ids the lesser of two evils. In doing that you only ensure eventual defeat - or, in this case, the eventual elimination of the right to arms.

Lesser of two evils sums up politics and law well. If you think it works any other way wrong-o.

Lesser of two evils sums up politics and law well. If you think it works any other way wrong-o.
So... what other rights are you willing to have taken away by a series of lesser of two evil choices?

So... what other rights are you willing to have taken away by a series of lesser of two evil choices?

"What do ya got?" - Marlon Brando :)

"What do ya got?" - Marlon Brando :)
So... all of them.
Why bother with the concept of rights if you're willing to allow all of them to be stripped away, and believe we should all do the same?

Forum List

Back