Walmart firing workers on strike illegal says judge

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Walmart broke law by firing on-strike workers, must offer to re-hire them – NLRB judge

Awesome! I can't wait to see the mistreated workers of wal mart unionized. Wal Mart collapses OK more mom and pop stores survive and flourish and more open up. If they learn their place and let the workers unionize and pay legit wages and benefits GREAT! Oh and no I don't care about paying a little extra.If they can afford MILLION dollar salaries for CEO's they can afford higher wages per hour for workers.

And the appeal on this is already in the works. Legislating from the bench is for the birds.

Now that I read the article, it is a national labor relations judge. I wonder how fast this will be voided.

Awesome! I can't wait to see the mistreated workers of wal mart unionized. Wal Mart collapses OK more mom and pop stores survive and flourish and more open up. If they learn their place and let the workers unionize and pay legit wages and benefits GREAT! Oh and no I don't care about paying a little extra.If they can afford MILLION dollar salaries for CEO's they can afford higher wages per hour for workers.

This is not what the states agreed to when they established their compact. Per Madison, in Federalist 45:

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. [emphasis added]

It isn't the federal government's job to set terms of employment for the people of the several states. No such power is enumeratd in article I, section 8 of the constitution, which lists congress' legislative powers.

Walmart broke law by firing on-strike workers, must offer to re-hire them – NLRB judge

I am not a fan of Walmart but it won't happen. They shut down a store nearby where unionization was getting strong. They layed off everybody and kept the store closed for 8 months. They said it was re-plumbing along with 4 other stores. They just reopened with new hires....

The mega-retailer fired and disciplined workers at 29 stores for unexcused absences after they took part in a strike for better pay and working conditions in 2013.

They aren't in a union. If they don't show up for work, it's not a strike, it's not showing up for work.

Carter also ruled that the chain must give the employees back-pay for lost wages. Workers must be made “whole for any loss of earnings and other benefits suffered as a result of the discrimination against them,” he said.

They weren't discriminated against. Anyone who fails to show up for work can be fired. They didn't lose wages because of discrimination, they lost wages because they failed to work.

Exactly.

The mega-retailer fired and disciplined workers at 29 stores for unexcused absences after they took part in a strike for better pay and working conditions in 2013.

They aren't in a union. If they don't show up for work, it's not a strike, it's not showing up for work.

Carter also ruled that the chain must give the employees back-pay for lost wages. Workers must be made “whole for any loss of earnings and other benefits suffered as a result of the discrimination against them,” he said.

They weren't discriminated against. Anyone who fails to show up for work can be fired. They didn't lose wages because of discrimination, they lost wages because they failed to work.

Wal Mart sucks, I managed to put in 7 months in warehouse, before I walked out on them for cutting hours in half....

That NLRB "judge" is an idiot. If you chose to leave your job without permission, your employer has every right to fire you. "Mistreated" workers??? Just how much are you supposed to pay someone for running a computerized cash register that does most of the work for you, or for stocking shelves, or for collecting shopping carts from the parking lot, etc., etc.?

And, FYI, Walmart has been one of the best companies in the country when it comes to hiring vets. Also, more than 70% of Walmart managers started off as entry-level workers, i.e., Walmart does a lot of internal promoting.

Forum List

Back