Walter Cronkite's Ridiculous Spin on the 1968 Tet Offensive in South Vietnam

You do not prove that by asserting it.

If the vast majority did not support anyone, we should have left them alone.

Why was it important? Vietnam is one of our trading partners now. Vietnam is the only country I can think of that decisively defeated the Army of Communist China. That happened during the spring of 1969. Remember?
It is not an assertion it is fact proven by history it was not a civil war

We had a valid treaty and our treaty ally was attacked by a foreign power

Stopping communist affression is always important

All the United States needed to do to avoid that futile war was to sign and honor the Geneva Agreement of 1954.

All minh needed to do was hold elections and leave south vietnam alo

I agree that Ho should have had the election held in North Vietnam. I just do not think that him not doing so was reason enough for us to become involved in in an expensive war that we ended up losing.

If you mean a Russian invasion or a Chinese invasion, I agree. I do not think we should protect unpopular dictatorships against popular insurgencies. We do not have any business telling the people of other countries which of their governments are acceptable to us and which are not.

As soon as we withdrew from South Vietnam the South Vietnamese government collapsed like a house of cards.

Vietnam was a debacle for America from start to finish, and we're still suffering from it.
And it was so easy for us to avoid that war. All we needed to do was to sign and honor the Geneva Agreement of 1954, and leave Vietnam alone.

Eventually we did lose that wary, and make no mistake about it, we lost big time. What horrible things happened to us? Did the Viet Cong invade California? No they did not. Did we go stark raving Communist? No we did not.

Can you document your assertion about massive Soviet aid and retraining after the Paris Peace Accords?
Are you serious? You don't know that the Soviets and the Chinese provided massive aid to North Vietnam after the Paris Peace Accords? You really need to take a timeout and do some homework on the war.

If you want to read about the Chinese and Soviet aid to North Vietnam after the Accords, you could start with Dr. George Jay Veith's book Black April: The Fall of South Vietnam, 1973-75 (Encounter Books, 2013) and Major General Ira Hunt's book Losing Vietnam: How America Abandoned Southeast Asia (University Press of Kentucky, 2013).

And it was so easy for us to avoid that war. All we needed to do was to sign and honor the Geneva Agreement of 1954, and leave Vietnam alone.

Eventually we did lose that wary, and make no mistake about it, we lost big time. What horrible things happened to us? Did the Viet Cong invade California? No they did not. Did we go stark raving Communist? No we did not.
True. We were told that if we didn't fight 'them' over there we would have to fight them here. :omg:

If you mean a Russian invasion or a Chinese invasion, I agree. I do not think we should protect unpopular dictatorships against popular insurgencies. We do not have any business telling the people of other countries which of their governments are acceptable to us and which are not.

As soon as we withdrew from South Vietnam the South Vietnamese government collapsed like a house of cards.
Insurgency and invasion are the same thing and it was not popular

There was no reason to sign and honor the 1954 Geneva agreement.

Ming broke it called off elections and invaded

Hector12 said:
Can you document your assertion about massive Soviet aid and retraining after the Paris Peace Accords?
mikegriffith1 said:
Are you serious? You don't know that the Soviets and the Chinese provided massive aid to North Vietnam after the Paris Peace Accords? You really need to take a timeout and do some homework on the war.

If you want to read about the Chinese and Soviet aid to North Vietnam after the Accords, you could start with Dr. George Jay Veith's book Black April: The Fall of South Vietnam, 1973-75 (Encounter Books, 2013) and Major General Ira Hunt's book Losing Vietnam: How America Abandoned Southeast Asia (University Press of Kentucky, 2013).

Hector12, before you repeat more debunked Communist/leftist talking points, I recommend that you take 47 minutes and watch the 2023 AVVBA documentary Truth and Myths About the Vietnam War. The segment on how the war could have been won includes information on the Chinese and Soviet aid that North Vietnam received after the Paris Peace Accords (starts at about 24:00 in the video).

That segment also discusses the fact that the Democrat-controlled Congress slashed our aid to South Vietnam after the Paris Peace Accords, in violation of our pledge in the Accords to maintain the level of aid that we were providing when the Accords were signed.

Just take 47 minutes and watch the documentary.

Last edited:
There was no reason to sign and honor the 1954 Geneva agreement.

Ming broke it called off elections and invaded
Why was that our concern?

What did we gain by becoming involved in the War in Vietnam? How much worse would things be if we had left Vietnam alone?

Forum List

Back