🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Wanna teach? Can't pass a literacy test? No problem! Because reading is racist...

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats
Aug 23, 2011
And this is what we have come to. Political correctness & "fairness/equality" is more important than competency - amazing...

State education officials plan to scrap a literacy exam given to prospective teachers and allow certification for some applicants who fail a performance assessment test — moves that critics warned will weaken the pool of candidates.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“It’s alarming because we’ve now abandoned or watered down the teacher evaluation process, and now we’re lowering the bar for entry certification as well,” said Charles Sahm, director of education policy at the Manhattan Institute.

The literacy test has been accused of skewing against minorities and being redundant — but Sahm called it an important tool in bringing in qualified candidates.

“I think it’s important that we increase the share of black and Hispanic teachers, and we certainly don’t have enough here or anywhere. But I don’t think this is the way to go,” Sahm said. “This is a literacy exam. If you’re going to be a teacher in New York state, this is a criteria you should be able to meet.”

http://nypost.com/2017/03/06/state-considering-major-changes-to-teacher-certification-exams/

I was praying this was going to be an article in The Onion. YIKES!

nope

for once I agree with Rachel Maddow (minus the election part, which I removed):

“You’re awake by the way. You’re not having a terrible, terrible dream.

“Also you’re not dead and you haven’t gone to hell.

“This is your life now. This is us. This is our country.

“It’s real.”

I thought Republicans were all for removing regulations and red tape? Too bad teacher salaries are awful and half the country demonizes them, or better people would apply and there wouldn't be a national teacher shortage.

Wanna teach? Can't pass a literacy test? No problem!

teach RW's, they'll never know the difference.

Why would an authoritarian power structure want a coherent, educated, critically thinking population to manage? Not one in history ever has.

I thought Republicans were all for removing regulations and red tape? Too bad teacher salaries are awful and half the country demonizes them, or better people would apply and there wouldn't be a national teacher shortage.
Actually it is the lazy fat administrators and foolish greedy school boards that most have issues with. Of course there are a bunch of crap teachers out there, just like any profession, but there are ways to weed them out. Have you ever been on a school board? Most frustrating thing I have ever done in my life. Trying to shift more funds to teachers and away from contracts for services (many of which were pure nepotism), is damn near impossible.

Actually it is the lazy fat administrators and foolish greedy school boards that most have issues with. Of course there are a bunch of crap teachers out there, just like any profession, but there are ways to weed them out. Have you ever been on a school board? Most frustrating thing I have ever done in my life. Trying to shift more funds to teachers and away from contracts for services (many of which were pure nepotism), is damn near impossible.

Profit always comes first; it is our lone truly national value. Humanity and society come in much later. It’s only about getting at public funding.

we want to remove regulations and red tape that slow down progress

making sure that teachers can read at a competent level is something we should all be able to support - tghis SHOULD be a bi-partisan issue

this should be an issue where the outcry from liberals is just as loud or louder than that of the "right"

and teacher salaries are not awful, sure, I would love to see them be better, but "awful" is a gross overstatement

Forum List

Back