Warm Bagels and Heavy Winds

How is everyone doing?

still hanging in, honey.

crazy storm.

gusts of 100 mph up by the triborough bridge.

79 mph at JFK airport.

power starting to go out in a lot of places and our cell phone service isn't really working.

Ouch! I thought with the increased forward speed thing would be letting up by now.

not even a little. they said, basically, it's part noreaster part hurricane and is now self-sustaining in terms of power. we haven't gotten to high tide yet. the subway system is going to be flooded they say.

Alert issued 10/29/12 08:00 PM. Due to severe storm conditions, all NYC
residents are being instructed to go indoors immediately and to remain indoors
until further notice. Go indoors , and stay away from windows. Only use 9-1-1
for emergencies.

for emergencies.

hopefully they listen! And so long as my hala boys cart is out on the corner in the morning.... all is right with the world!

for emergencies.

hopefully they listen! And so long as my hala boys cart is out on the corner in the morning.... all is right with the world!

well, i'm not going anywhere. lol.

i'm sure the halal guy will be on 53rd and 6th when you get to NY.

water rushing into the battery tunnel right now, btw.

I figured we could maybe be non-partisan for a bit. To everyone on the coast, stay safe. To the rest of you, send positive energy our way.

NYC now has winds of 45 miles an hour. That's down from over 50, this morning. Schools, courts, the stock market and other state and city offices are closed. our supermarket is closed, but our neighborhood bagel place was open. My husband went out and brought back hot whole wheat bagels so his trip out wasn't a total loss. We're in what they're calling zone B... which in NYC's parlance now means that we're in danger of flooding only if Sandy hits a catagory 2.

who else is in the storm zone and what are you doing to cope?

hang in there Jill....if i was back there i would still be delivering your mail.....you know our motto.....:eusa_angel:

I figured we could maybe be non-partisan for a bit. To everyone on the coast, stay safe. To the rest of you, send positive energy our way.

NYC now has winds of 45 miles an hour. That's down from over 50, this morning. Schools, courts, the stock market and other state and city offices are closed. our supermarket is closed, but our neighborhood bagel place was open. My husband went out and brought back hot whole wheat bagels so his trip out wasn't a total loss. We're in what they're calling zone B... which in NYC's parlance now means that we're in danger of flooding only if Sandy hits a catagory 2.

who else is in the storm zone and what are you doing to cope?

hang in there Jill....if i was back there i would still be delivering your mail.....you know our motto.....:eusa_angel:

i do! i'm not sure even you guys could have gotten through with the mail today. ;)

sandy is now classified as a post tropical cyclone

what the heck is a post tropical cyclone?????

appaparently, it's a hurricane that doesn't have thunderstorm activity at its center.

:eek:

6:30 PM. Still hanging in. Winds have died down which could mean we're in the eye.

10PM. Amazingly I can log in here. My lights are flickering. The computer re-started before and I thought that was it. But it came back and I had to re-log-in. Several of the local tv channels are down. The NJ news channel just reported seven homes in Brick, NJ, were set afire by down power lines.

I just went to the garage and dug out my stock of candles which I haven't seen in about fifteen years. I'm getting ready.

This storm is a bitch!

sandy is now classified as a post tropical cyclone

what the heck is a post tropical cyclone?????

appaparently, it's a hurricane that doesn't have thunderstorm activity at its center.

:eek:
The last time I saw something like this was a typhoon on Okinawa, 1957. It blew away the quonset hut we lived in. Luckily we were somewhere else when it happened.

6:30 PM. Still hanging in. Winds have died down which could mean we're in the eye.

10PM. Amazingly I can log in here. My lights are flickering. The computer re-started before and I thought that was it. But it came back and I had to re-log-in. Several of the local tv channels are down. The NJ news channel just reported seven homes in Brick, NJ, were set afire by down power lines.

I just went to the garage and dug out my stock of candles which I haven't seen in about fifteen years. I'm getting ready.

This storm is a bitch!

you just stay safe!

Forum List

Back