Warning: D.C. cops under orders to arrest tourists with empty bullet casing

Did anyone even read the link? It said DC cops were ordered _not_ to care about spent casings.
Did you read the link?

...a recent "roll call" advisory that tells cops to overlook spent casings in the cars and trucks of city residents who have their gun registration certificate with them when detained, despite the law.​
City residents with their gun registration certificate in hand will not be charged.

Further:
Washington police are operating under orders to arrest tourists and other non-residents traveling with spent bullet or shotgun casings...​
Tourists and other non-residents WILL be arrested.
Plus, there's the matter of there being no actual evidence that the law exists. The article was simply uncritically repeating someone else's claims. Maybe the law exists, maybe it doesn't, but the reality-based community doesn't take things on faith, and requires more than the claim of one activist.

Naturally, being part of the reality-based community, I looked at the DC criminal code, trying to find the law.

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: District of Columbia Code Unannotated Research Tool

I read the entries in "CHAPTER 45. WEAPONS AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS". I didn't see any mention of empty bullet casings being illegal. Searching the whole code on the word "casing" or "shell" turns up no such law. The law doesn't seem to exist.

And that would be what has the usual suspects in panic today. If they want to claim the law exists, they need to point to where it is in the DC Code. Otherwise, they should feel ashamed for having played the part of UsefulIdiot again.
Perhaps you should learn how LexisNexus works before you start proclaiming yourself smarter than everyone else.

2012 District of Columbia Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

§ 22-4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms

(a) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.

(b) (1) If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.

(2) If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.

(c) If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:

(1) Unloaded;

(2) Inside a locked container; and

(3) Separate from any ammunition.

D.C. Code § 22-4504.02

--

§ 7-2501.01. Definitions

As used in this unit the term:

(1) "Acts of Congress" means:

(A) Chapter 45 of Title 22;

(B) Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968, as amended (title VII, Unlawful Possession or Receipt of Firearms (82 Stat. 1236; 18 U.S.C. Appendix)); and

(C) An Act to Amend Title 18, United States Code, To Provide for Better Control of the Interstate Traffic in Firearms Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213; 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.).

(2) "Ammunition" means cartridge cases, shells, projectiles (including shot), primers, bullets (including restricted pistol bullets), propellant powder, or other devices or materials designed, redesigned, or intended for use in a firearm or destructive device.

D.C. Code § 7-2501.01

So...don't go away mad. Just go away.

Last edited:
Dave, people think stalkers are creepy. That would be you.
Yes, I understand you're desperate to deflect attention away from the fact that I proved you wrong.

How's that working out for you? The whole "trying to get people not to notice I proved you wrong" thing, I mean.

Because, you know -- you're wrong. And I proved it.

:lmao:

Forum List

Back