Washington D.C. set to become the 51st State...vote on Friday

...2 more dem Senators as bonus!
Sorry but it can't happen regardless of the vote, DC's status is enshrined within the Constitution. It would take a Constitutional Convention to change it.

Congress shall have power * * * To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-1/section-8/clause-17

No, it would require an amendment.
Amendments are different and would not be Constitutional in this instance. To substantially amend or remove any part of the Constitution requires a Constitutional Convention.
Amendments do not replace existing Constitutional law, they are in place to add to the Constitution not take away from.

Actually, the Amendments can and do supersede any existing Constitutional law question. For example, Slavery was abolished, by Constitutional Amendment. Alcohol was prohibited, and then that prohibition was removed, by Constitutional Amendment.

It would require an Amendment, not a whole new Constitution, to make Washington DC a state. I know, you’re dreaming of a new Constitutional Convention, but it is not going to happen. First, nobody could agree on any of it. And it would require all of the states to agree. We can’t even agree on Freedom of Speech for the love of God.
To the best of my knowledge slavery nor alcohol is mentioned in the Constitution meaning your examples fit exactly what I said, nothing was taken away. The district designation is part of the main body of the Constitution, not an Amendment therefore CAN NOT be superseded by an Amendment. The 18th Amendment was passed according to the requirements laid out in the Constitution as was the 25th Amendment abolishing the 18th Amendment. A Constitutional Convention does not "re-write" the entire Constitution though it can in theory.
Would you want an additional two guaranteed democrat senators?
What I want and don't want has no bearing on the discussion I'm having. We're discussing Constitutional law and procedure not personal opinions concerning how many and what party two potentially new Senators might belong to.

Sorry but it can't happen regardless of the vote, DC's status is enshrined within the Constitution. It would take a Constitutional Convention to change it.

Congress shall have power * * * To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings.

Amendments are different and would not be Constitutional in this instance. To substantially amend or remove any part of the Constitution requires a Constitutional Convention.
Amendments do not replace existing Constitutional law, they are in place to add to the Constitution not take away from.

Actually, the Amendments can and do supersede any existing Constitutional law question. For example, Slavery was abolished, by Constitutional Amendment. Alcohol was prohibited, and then that prohibition was removed, by Constitutional Amendment.

It would require an Amendment, not a whole new Constitution, to make Washington DC a state. I know, you’re dreaming of a new Constitutional Convention, but it is not going to happen. First, nobody could agree on any of it. And it would require all of the states to agree. We can’t even agree on Freedom of Speech for the love of God.
To the best of my knowledge slavery nor alcohol is mentioned in the Constitution meaning your examples fit exactly what I said, nothing was taken away. The district designation is part of the main body of the Constitution, not an Amendment therefore CAN NOT be superseded by an Amendment. The 18th Amendment was passed according to the requirements laid out in the Constitution as was the 25th Amendment abolishing the 18th Amendment. A Constitutional Convention does not "re-write" the entire Constitution though it can in theory.
What I want and don't want has no bearing on the discussion I'm having. We're discussing Constitutional law and procedure not personal opinions concerning how many and what party two potentially new Senators might belong to.
There is no reason to make DC a state

FIrst the corrections: It was the 21st that overturned the 18th, and amendments are a means to change language in the main text of the constitution, such as the 14th overturning the 3/5th clause in article I.

There is no reason to make DC a state
I never said there was.

FIrst the corrections: It was the 21st that overturned the 18th, and amendments are a means to change language in the main text of the constitution, such as the 14th overturning the 3/5th clause in article I.
Yeah, I re-read Article 5 a couple of times and realized I was mistaken. Unfortunately many don't realize what it means when it's claimed "Congress enacts (X) Amendment, they don't realize it also takes two thirds of the States to ratify it.

All of the territories should become states. Make it 3 states. DC a state, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands a state, the Pacific territories (Guam, Marianas, American Samoa) a state. DC and PR have much bigger populations than Wyoming. The Pacific territories cover a much bigger expanse, and as Republicans so often tell us, empty real estate matters more than people.

Maybe the American Taliban can move to PR and Guam? I'm all for it! You can pick your own anthem, laws, etc.

Yeah, I re-read Article 5 a couple of times and realized I was mistaken. Unfortunately many don't realize what it means when it's claimed "Congress enacts (X) Amendment, they don't realize it also takes two thirds of the States to ratify it.
In case you corrected it.... nevermind

If not. It takes 2/3rds of both houses of congress to propose an amendment. And 3/4ths of the states to ratify.

If not. It takes 2/3rds of both houses of congress to propose an amendment. And 3/4ths of the states to ratify.
I just read it earlier, three times. 2/3s both houses of Congress and the States legislatures to ratify.....

Amendments CAN in fact take away from the Constitution by AMENDING the part they want OUT. Been done lots of times.

All of the territories should become states. Make it 3 states. DC a state, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands a state, the Pacific territories (Guam, Marianas, American Samoa) a state. DC and PR have much bigger populations than Wyoming. The Pacific territories cover a much bigger expanse, and as Republicans so often tell us, empty real estate matters more than people.

Maybe the American Taliban can move to PR and Guam? I'm all for it! You can pick your own anthem, laws, etc.
PR maybe. Guam? Hell no....... It's the American point of the spear in the Pacific.

Amendments CAN in fact take away from the Constitution by AMENDING the part they want OUT. Been done lots of times.
Yeah, read on before responding, I already acknowledged my mistake.

Yeah, read on before responding, I already acknowledged my mistake.
Ya I saw that, But notice those claiming a simple vote can make it a State have not corrected themselves.

I just read it earlier, three times. 2/3s both houses of Congress and the States legislatures to ratify.....

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.
I must be out of it today...... (Just today you ask.........? :lol: ). Maybe I should take up drinking again........

To get DC in Would in fact require an amendment since DC is specifically mentioned in the Constitution.

Nothing in the constitution prohibits ceding parts of
the "seat of government".

...such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States
They can shrink the size of the seat of government to that actually needed to govern the country. And then admit the remaining territory

Section 3. New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

As Washington DC isn't part of any state, the only permission needed is that of congress.

And the seat of government can remain as federal property within the borders of washington dc, the same as nevada incorporating (actually is 80%) federal property.

The only applicable rules are those of congress, as amended by case law.

To get DC in Would in fact require an amendment since DC is specifically mentioned in the Constitution.

Nothing in the constitution prohibits ceding parts of
the "seat of government".

...such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States
They can shrink the size of the seat of government to that actually needed to govern the country. And then admit the remaining territory

Section 3. New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

As Washington DC isn't part of any state, the only permission needed is that of congress.

And the seat of government can remain as federal property within the borders of washington dc, the same as nevada incorporating (actually is 80%) federal property.

The only applicable rules are those of congress, as amended by case law.
I doubt you are right. Doesn't matter because the Senate will never agree.

The Constitution forbids DC from becoming a state. This vote is meaningless.

" The Founding Fathers wrote it into the Constitution. Article I, Section 8 provides explicitly for a national capital that would not be part of a state nor treated as a state, but rather a unique enclave under the exclusive authority of Congress — a neutral “district” in which representatives of all the states could meet on an equal footing to conduct the nation’s business. "

Forum List

Back