Washington D.C. set to become the 51st State...vote on Friday

...2 more dem Senators as bonus!

Unconstitutional.

DC territory is welcome to return to Maryland.
But only if the Federal government stops using DC as the capital...........

Unconstitutional.

They can carve out the federal enclave, which will remain "The District of Columbia", and the capital. The rest will revert to Maryland.

Before the Civil war if you had a slave state, i.e, democrat state, be added to the union they would not do it unless you equaled things out by adding a free state.

The same should apply now. So which state do the free states get?

Republicans are the Confederates now, remember? I mean, it's not the Democrats waving Confederate flags and having tantrums when slaver monuments get removed.

Article IV, section 3 details the process of admitting new states. The territory has to consent, both the House and the Senate have to vote yes, and then President has to sign. So no, it won't happen while Trump is in office.
In the 1800's democrats refused to admit blacks were their equal, were human beings with innate rights. Today, you are still doing the same thing with the unborn. No compromises my dear. It's a fight to the death!

Some things never change.

Before the Civil war if you had a slave state, i.e, democrat state, be added to the union they would not do it unless you equaled things out by adding a free state.

Republicans are the Confederates now, remember? I mean, it's not the Democrats waving Confederate flags and having tantrums when slaver monuments get removed.

Article IV, section 3 details the process of admitting new states. The territory has to consent, both the House and the Senate have to vote yes, and then President has to sign. So no, it won't happen while Trump is in office.
In the 1800's democrats refused to admit blacks were their equal, were human beings with innate rights. Today, you are still doing the same thing with the unborn. No compromises my dear. It's a fight to the death!

Should we make New York City a state? How about LA?

Unconstitutional.

They can carve out the federal enclave, which will remain "The District of Columbia", and the capital. The rest will revert to Maryland.
With a Federal enclave carved out there would be one large area with little Federal islands surrounding it. The real problem with giving it to Maryland is they don't want it. I lived in Northern Virginia, the DC metro area for 35 years, we were constantly exposed to the DC Statehood movement and everything related.......... Typically (but not always) when you see the Statehood vote crop up is during a presidential election year....... Political ammunition.......

Last edited:

I'm thinking divide Alabama into about 40 different states.

Unconstitutional.

With a Federal enclave carved out there would be one large area with little Federal islands surrounding it. The real problem with giving it to Maryland is they don't want it.

Yup.

I lived in Northern Virginia, the DC metro area for 35 years, were constantly exposed to the DC Statehood movement and everything related.......... Typically (but not always) when you see the Statehood vote crop up is during a presidential election year....... Political ammunition.......

Precisely.

Nope. Build a wall around both and give them to Mexico.

Sorry but it can't happen regardless of the vote, DC's status is enshrined within the Constitution. It would take a Constitutional Convention to change it.

Congress shall have power * * * To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-1/section-8/clause-17

No, it would require an amendment.

Ontario... ;)

Sorry but it can't happen regardless of the vote, DC's status is enshrined within the Constitution. It would take a Constitutional Convention to change it.

Congress shall have power * * * To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings.

Amendments are different and would not be Constitutional in this instance. To substantially amend or remove any part of the Constitution requires a Constitutional Convention.

Amendments are different and would not be Constitutional in this instance. To substantially amend or remove any part of the Constitution requires a Constitutional Convention.
Amendments do not replace existing Constitutional law, they are in place to add to the Constitution not take away from.

Amendments do not replace existing Constitutional law, they are in place to add to the Constitution not take away from.

Actually, the Amendments can and do supersede any existing Constitutional law question. For example, Slavery was abolished, by Constitutional Amendment. Alcohol was prohibited, and then that prohibition was removed, by Constitutional Amendment.

It would require an Amendment, not a whole new Constitution, to make Washington DC a state. I know, you’re dreaming of a new Constitutional Convention, but it is not going to happen. First, nobody could agree on any of it. And it would require all of the states to agree. We can’t even agree on Freedom of Speech for the love of God.

Actually, the Amendments can and do supersede any existing Constitutional law question. For example, Slavery was abolished, by Constitutional Amendment. Alcohol was prohibited, and then that prohibition was removed, by Constitutional Amendment.

It would require an Amendment, not a whole new Constitution, to make Washington DC a state. I know, you’re dreaming of a new Constitutional Convention, but it is not going to happen. First, nobody could agree on any of it. And it would require all of the states to agree. We can’t even agree on Freedom of Speech for the love of God.
To the best of my knowledge slavery nor alcohol is mentioned in the Constitution meaning your examples fit exactly what I said, nothing was taken away. The district designation is part of the main body of the Constitution, not an Amendment therefore CAN NOT be superseded by an Amendment. The 18th Amendment was passed according to the requirements laid out in the Constitution as was the 25th Amendment abolishing the 18th Amendment. A Constitutional Convention does not "re-write" the entire Constitution though it can in theory.

Last edited:

To the best of my knowledge slavery nor alcohol is mentioned in the Constitution meaning your examples fit exactly what I said, nothing was taken away. The district designation is part of the main body of the Constitution, not an Amendment therefore CAN NOT be superseded by an Amendment. The 18th Amendment was passed according to the requirements laid out in the Constitution as was the 25th Amendment abolishing the 18th Amendment. Sorry but your argument fails.

Slavery was mentioned Indirectly. Free persons, and of course the 3/5th compromise. Where Slaves would be counted as 3/5th of a free person.

Read up on Amendments my Friend. You have an ideal unsupportable by any writings or opinions.

To the best of my knowledge slavery nor alcohol is mentioned in the Constitution meaning your examples fit exactly what I said, nothing was taken away. The district designation is part of the main body of the Constitution, not an Amendment therefore CAN NOT be superseded by an Amendment. The 18th Amendment was passed according to the requirements laid out in the Constitution as was the 25th Amendment abolishing the 18th Amendment. A Constitutional Convention does not "re-write" the entire Constitution though it can in theory.
After re-reading through Article 5, yes you have a point. It's possible to amend via the Congressional with State ratification process (Amendments). However since it's in the main body I'm not 100% sure SCOTUS would find that legal but then again they might. Basically admitting you might have a valid point.

To the best of my knowledge slavery nor alcohol is mentioned in the Constitution meaning your examples fit exactly what I said, nothing was taken away. The district designation is part of the main body of the Constitution, not an Amendment therefore CAN NOT be superseded by an Amendment. The 18th Amendment was passed according to the requirements laid out in the Constitution as was the 25th Amendment abolishing the 18th Amendment. Sorry but your argument fails.

Slavery was mentioned Indirectly. Free persons, and of course the 3/5th compromise. Where Slaves would be counted as 3/5th of a free person.

Read up on Amendments my Friend. You have an ideal unsupportable by any writings or opinions.
"Indirectly" means nothing per se, it's interpretable by law.

Washington DC is not headed for statehood no matter what the vote. Statehood cannot be conferred upon it
by any vote of it's citizens. Or any vote at all.

Would you want an additional two guaranteed democrat senators?

Forum List

Back