Washington state plans to ban most non-electric vehicles by 2030

I suggest you move here and live through a few of our Winters. While some weeks it may seem "mild", we get frequent Arctic Blasts putting us into sub-freezing for weeks.
I have been to Washington in the winter

Compared to the NorthEast, Great Lakes, Mid West ?
Mild

You complain about sub-freezing?
Try sub zero with five or more feet of snow

Almost.......

The bill says that all vehicles of the model year 2030 or later that are sold, purchased, or registered in the state must be electric.
That may be, the Bill is 121 pages long and quick scan didn't pick out the relevant part of the OP.
Here's the Bill;

If we keep a Democrat dominated Legislature and Governor, can expect this to expand to pre 2030 vehicles.
On other hand, this just may break the lock the Dims have had.

history shows us that tech gets cheaper with time ,,

Only if it is allowed to develop without controls. The government rewards failure, thus, without incentive to succeed, they don't.

The range of an EV in 1901 was 100 miles. Today, the range of an affordable EV is 100 miles.

Not much improvement for the 120 years in between, now is there.

Only if it is allowed to develop without controls. The government rewards failure, thus, without incentive to succeed, they don't.

The range of an EV in 1901 was 100 miles. Today, the range of an affordable EV is 100 miles.

what affordable EV only gets 100 mile range??

to be honest for low cost a hybrid is what I would get,,
my parents have had a prius for almost 20 yrs and their first one was essentially free since their other two cars were a 1 ton van with a 460 and an excursion with a v10, they kept close track of miles and other costs and the difference paid for their first one,,

If they find they're not ready I'm sure they'll postpone the deadline.

I think you're stuck down in the weeds and missing the real question: Are EV's the future? If they're not, WA is wasting little. If they are, WA will have a head start on the rest of the country and may end up being the next automotive capital of the US. I think it is too soon to pick the winner but it is a reasonable gamble for WA to take.

You miss the point here is that the State government is FORCING by law to mandate Electric cars then along with the Feds subsidize EV car sales.

If EV's are truly viable then they would get a lot of buyers anyway, but instead governments are forcing them on us that is a recipe for failure.

I have been to Washington in the winter

Compared to the NorthEast, Great Lakes, Mid West ?
Mild

You complain about sub-freezing?
Try sub zero with five or more feet of snow

It is clear you are baking a bunch of hooey since it DOES get below Zero in over 90% of Eastern Washington every freaking winter with Lots of snow in the Mountains that easily reaches 5 feet every year.

It gets to -10 to -20F every year in the top third of the state where Republic, Conconully, Winthrop Colville average high/low is around 25-30F and 10-15F with several nights of -5 to -15F every winter.

Your comparison to the Mid-West and Northeast is misleading and dishonest since they are wide open to arctic flows while Eastern Washington has The Rocky Mountains Bitteroot range and the Northen Cascades to block part of the arctic flow.

what affordable EV only gets 100 mile range??
to be honest for low cost a hybrid is what I would get,,
my parents have had a prius for almost 20 yrs and their first one was essentially free since their other two cars were a 1 ton van with a 460 and an excursion with a v10, they kept close track of miles and other costs and the difference paid for their first one,,

I would too. The hybrids are the way to go in my opinion. They have awesome thermal efficiency, and you don't have the range problems.

I regularly do 1000 mile drives to pick up parts for aircraft I am working on, and no EV will cut it.

It is clear you are baking a bunch of hooey since it DOES get below Zero in over 90% of Eastern Washington every freaking winter with Lots of snow in the Mountains that easily reaches 5 feet every year.

It gets to -10 to -20F every year in the top third of the state where Republic, Conconully, Winthrop Colville average high/low is around 25-30F and 10-15F with several nights of -5 to -15F every winter.

Your comparison to the Mid-West and Northeast is misleading and dishonest since they are wide open to arctic flows while Eastern Washington has The Rocky Mountains Bitteroot range and the Northen Cascades to block part of the arctic flow.
Only 90 percent of the population resides in the West
That is where the Electric Vehicles will be

Stupid is never trying something new assuming what is now will always be. I don't know if WA will succeed or not, no one does, but I do know we'll all have learned something made some progress regardless.

IF EV's are the future, why does government have to force them on us?

Horses and Buggies weren't banned, automobiles just were better and out-competed them.

Stupid is never trying something new assuming what is now will always be. I don't know if WA will succeed or not, no one does, but I do know we'll all have learned something made some progress regardless.

dOy.

img_1_1648468097336.jpg

What makes you think the Power Grid will be overloaded?

Most charging is done overnight when the load on the grid is at its lowest

And a whole State trying to charge their vehicles at once will instantly change that.

Also now the spike demand won't be in industrial areas, as it is during the day, but in residential ones, where the distribution system will have to be entirely replaced to handle the additional load.

So basically they will have to go into every neighborhood and either run additional lines, or increase the capacity of the existing ones.

Forum List

Back