We are experiencing the biggest scandal in America's political history right now.

Inflation is caused by business people raising the price of their goods or services.

Government spending may enable the business people to raise their prices, but it doesn't force them to raise the prices.

Knowing that the government has provided financial assistance to renters does not mean that landlords HAVE to raise their rent. But once landlords know that their renters have more money they do.
I can confirm this is true for housing, with one caveat...reinvestment is necessary just to maintain housing stock. Frequently the private investor participation is premised on delivering an upgrade and financing it with higher rents....once paid off, the increased rents lift the net income and, assuming you weren't hosed by cap rates, sale price.

I think it is less true in highly competitive consumer goods markets.

Jesus Christ?

Don't you even know what inflation means?

Inflation is an increase of the money supply.
Who prints money?
The Treasury.
What drives up the cost of living?

Plenty of things do.

Wage increases
Skyrocketing energy costs
Government regulations
Government debt
Tax-increases
in·fla·tion
/inˈflāSH(ə)n/
noun
the action of inflating something or the condition of being inflated.
"the inflation of a balloon"
ECONOMICS
a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.
"policies aimed at controlling inflation"

Inflation is NOT "an increase in the money supply", dumbo.

But increases in the money supply may be one of the many things that influence inflation.

For example, a decrease in the availability of products can also cause inflation.

Inflation is caused by business people raising the price of their goods or services.

Government spending may enable the business people to raise their prices, but it doesn't force them to raise the prices.

Knowing that the government has provided financial assistance to renters does not mean that landlords HAVE to raise their rent. But once landlords know that their renters have more money they do.
Government loans raised the price of going to college.
The last time I paid for tuition the cost was $101.00 per credit.
The costs of books was usually over $400.00 per semester.
I never went to an Ivy League school where the tuition is thousands per semester.
By the time somebody graduates with a PHD they have a bill of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Many of them can't get a job like Michelle Obama that pays $800,000.00/yr.

Many of them end up working for less than a welder makes.
A good welder can make $50,000/yr to start.
They can make $35-50/hr.
A certified high-pressure welder can make $80/yr. and up.
Maybe at total of $10,000.00 in tuition can get him/her a job welding for more than a Physicists with a PHD.
How much do they pay junior Physicists working at MIT or CALTech?
$31-40/hr while paying off a massive student loan.
I can see why Biden claims he wants to pay off their loans.
Problem is....they have to have been paying on their loans for 25 years without missing a payment to even qualify.

I can confirm this is true for housing, with one caveat...reinvestment is necessary just to maintain housing stock. Frequently the private investor participation is premised on delivering an upgrade and financing it with higher rents....once paid off, the increased rents lift the net income and, assuming you weren't hosed by cap rates, sale price.

I think it is less true in highly competitive consumer goods markets.

Rent increases to cover inflated maintenance costs would happen regardless of whether the renters have additional income. Landlords tend to base increases whenever they have knowledge of renters increased incomes - and far out of proportion with the increase in maintenance costs.

Right now, there's a national economic crisis due to the huge jumps in rent.

in·fla·tion
/inˈflāSH(ə)n/
noun
the action of inflating something or the condition of being inflated.
"the inflation of a balloon"
ECONOMICS
a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.
"policies aimed at controlling inflation"

Inflation is NOT "an increase in the money supply", dumbo.

But increases in the money supply may be one of the many things that influence inflation.

For example, a decrease in the availability of products can also cause inflation.
In economics, inflation is an increase in the money supply, causing the consumer price index (CPI) to increase.[3][4][5][6

A decrease in the availability of products, due to shutdowns, government regulations, or higher demand can also cause inflation.
But when the government is shutting down businesses or destroying towns and cities by flooding the place with homeless criminals and migrants....this can cause inflation as well....because when people are breaking into stores and stealing everything in sight it causes a reduction in products and an increase in costs to the stores.

Thus inflation.

But intentionally reducing the value of the dollar by increasing the money supply in a massive way to send billions over to Ukraine or thru government waste....that causes inflation.

Jesus Christ?

Don't you even know what inflation means?

Inflation is an increase of the money supply.
Who prints money?
The Treasury.
What drives up the cost of living?

Plenty of things do.

Wage increases
Skyrocketing energy costs
Government regulations
Government debt
Tax-increases

The Federal Reserve raises interest rates to slow the economy. By making it more costly to borrow and spend, rate hikes discourage borrowing and spending. This lowered demand theoretically slows inflation.

Rent increases to cover inflated maintenance costs would happen regardless of whether the renters have additional income. Landlords tend to base increases whenever they have knowledge of renters increased incomes - and far out of proportion with the increase in maintenance costs.

When they raise the interest rates then you're going to get rent increases.
When you pack millions of migrants into our cities with no place to stay, that increases rent.
When utility bills skyrocket because of rising energy costs, that increases rent.

I used to be a landlord.
Thank God I sold all of my properties before COVID hit.

Turns out most landlords now use a online website that tells them how much to charge for rent. And this site has driven up rent big time.

Rentometer or Zillow

There is one site 99% of landlords use and this site is raising the cost of living on how many Americans?

Nearly 44 million housing units were rented, comprising 34% of the total U.S. households. Per U.S. Census data, the average household size is 2.6 people. Thus, the number of renters was 114.4 million, or 35% of the U.S. population in 2021.

The Federal Reserve raises interest rates to slow the economy. By making it more costly to borrow and spend, rate hikes discourage borrowing and spending. This lowered demand theoretically slows inflation.
Yes......imagine how bad inflation would be if they didn't do that.
But you're winning my argument for me.
Raising interest rates discourages growth.
Raising interest rates increases the debt.
I remember double-digit inflation under Jimmy Carter.
I was making $3.75/hr and a car loan was $15% interest.
Those were some hard times.

But everything is just peachy as long as you don't buy anything on credit.

When they raise the interest rates then you're going to get rent increases.
When you pack millions of migrants into our cities with no place to stay, that increases rent.
When utility bills skyrocket because of rising energy costs, that increases rent.

I used to be a landlord.
Thank God I sold all of my properties before COVID hit.
Idiot! The median monthly cost of rent alone increased 12% since before the pandemic, from $909 in 2019 to $1,015 in 2021. By comparison, overall inflation was about 6% during this span.

Government loans raised the price of going to college.
The last time I paid for tuition the cost was $101.00 per credit.
The costs of books was usually over $400.00 per semester.
I never went to an Ivy League school where the tuition is thousands per semester.
By the time somebody graduates with a PHD they have a bill of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Many of them can't get a job like Michelle Obama that pays $800,000.00/yr.

Many of them end up working for less than a welder makes.
A good welder can make $50,000/yr to start.
They can make $35-50/hr.
A certified high-pressure welder can make $80/yr. and up.
Maybe at total of $10,000.00 in tuition can get him/her a job welding for more than a Physicists with a PHD.
How much do they pay junior Physicists working at MIT or CALTech?
$31-40/hr while paying off a massive student loan.
I can see why Biden claims he wants to pay off their loans.
Problem is....they have to have been paying on their loans for 25 years without missing a payment to even qualify.

I agree that government loans and other financial aid has enabled colleges to raise their tuition to obscene levels. I know, I'm paying 3 college tuitions at once.

It's also a crime that colleges have no relation between their curriculum and the job market.

For some reason, people have the idea that EVERYONE must have a college degree. I don't know why...I'd prefer if colleges ONLY admitted the most academically successful 10%, and everyone else did skilled labor jobs (and got well paid).

I've known too many morons with advanced college degrees.

However, colleges are a BUSINESS and they'll do whatever it takes to maximize profit.

The same can be said of the Medical industry. Medical insurance enables the medical industry to raise their prices to obscene levels. If insurance was illegal, Medical Professional would have to lower prices to about 10% of what they currently are.

Yes inflation isn't hurting me as much as it is others. I own my home.

But it probably raised the price of my F150 lease. They are over $500 a month now.

My one buddy is finally ready to buy a house. What an idiot. He's been talking about it for a long time. Back when interest was near zero. Now he's ready? LOL.

I just went for pepperoni Pizza, one rootbeer, one breadsticks for me and my nephew. After the tip it was $50. WTF?

In economics, inflation is an increase in the money supply, causing the consumer price index (CPI) to increase.[3][4][5][6

A decrease in the availability of products, due to shutdowns, government regulations, or higher demand can also cause inflation.
But when the government is shutting down businesses or destroying towns and cities by flooding the place with homeless criminals and migrants....this can cause inflation as well....because when people are breaking into stores and stealing everything in sight it causes a reduction in products and an increase in costs to the stores.

Thus inflation.

But intentionally reducing the value of the dollar by increasing the money supply in a massive way to send billions over to Ukraine or thru government waste....that causes inflation.

Lot's of things cause inflation. An increase in the money supply is just one of them.

An increase in money supply would not cause inflation if business people would not increase prices, and if people would put their money into savings or appreciable investments instead of wasting their money on non-appreciable crap.

I agree that government loans and other financial aid has enabled colleges to raise their tuition to obscene levels. I know, I'm paying 3 college tuitions at once.

It's also a crime that colleges have no relation between their curriculum and the job market.

For some reason, people have the idea that EVERYONE must have a college degree. I don't know why...I'd prefer if colleges ONLY admitted the most academically successful 10%, and everyone else did skilled labor jobs (and got well paid).

However, colleges are a BUSINESS and they'll do whatever it takes to maximize profit.

The same can be said of the Medical industry. Medical insurance enables the medical industry to raise their prices to obscene levels. If insurance was illegal, Medical Professional would have to lower prices to about 10% of what they currently are.
This is nonsense. I am not smart nor am I blue collar. I'm a salesperson. So guys like me go to college and get marketing degrees. If you aren't smart enough, communications. But there are a whole lot of jobs in corporate America where guys like me make a lot of money. You have to have a college degree to get your foot in the door.

I would agree with you if you included sales and administration in with skilled labor jobs.

My worry though is if you take away the college and make sales a "skilled labor job" then us sales guys will stop getting paid as well as we do.

So I would agree we shouldn't make a guy like me go to college but then companies have to hire guys like me without a college degree.

All the people in HR. Do they all really need college degrees?

Or how about this. Make it good enough to just get an associates degree. 2 years.

How come you didn't steer your 3 away from college? I notice a lot of people who say not everyone should go to college not only did they go to college but they are sending their kids to college. So you guys aren't willing to take your own advice. You don't want your kid to settle and become a plumber. You want ours to.

Lot's of things cause inflation. An increase in the money supply is just one of them.

An increase in money supply would not cause inflation if business people would not increase prices, and if people would put their money into savings or appreciable investments instead of wasting their money on non-appreciable crap.
My buddy sold weed. When the pandemic hit and no one was working but everyone got stimulus checks, suddenly prices for weed doubled. He gobbled up a lot of people's stimulus checks.

If a lot of companies suddenly made it their policy that you don't need a college degree to work for them, that would drop the cost of college down big time.

The percentage of adults in the U. S. between the ages of 25 to 64 with college degrees, certificates, or industry-recognized certifications, has increased from 37.9% in 2009 to 53.7% in 2021, a gain of nearly 16 percentage points.

Today, nearly 60 percent of all jobs in the U.S. economy require higher education. Before World War II, only a small proportion of Americans went to college. In 1937, just 15 percent of high school students went on to higher education, and most of them were from upper-income families.

Almost two-thirds of people in the labor force (65.1 percent) do not have a college degree. In fact, people without a college degree (which includes those without a high school degree, with a high school degree, some college education, and an associates’ degrees) make up the majority of the labor force in every state but the District of Columbia. Mississippi has the highest share of non-college educated workers (75.7 percent) while Massachusetts and the District of Columbia have the lowest shares (51 percent and 33.7 percent, respectively).

Is it still true that a bachelors degree is worth $1 million dollars? Over 30 years a person with a bachelors degree will make over $30K more a year.

Mississippi doesn't think everyone needs a college degree. How's that working out for them?

Mississippi has the highest share of non-college educated workers (75.7 percent)

Mississippi tops the list as the poorest state in the US, with an alarming poverty rate of 18.70%. Despite its rich history and cultural heritage, the state faces numerous economic challenges, including limited job opportunities, low wages, and a high percentage of residents living below the poverty line.

Turns out most landlords now use a online website that tells them how much to charge for rent. And this site has driven up rent big time.

Rentometer or Zillow

There is one site 99% of landlords use and this site is raising the cost of living on how many Americans?

Nearly 44 million housing units were rented, comprising 34% of the total U.S. households. Per U.S. Census data, the average household size is 2.6 people. Thus, the number of renters was 114.4 million, or 35% of the U.S. population in 2021.
When I was managing rental properties if I had charged the rent they recommended it would been more than anyone could afford. The most I ever charged was $975/mo. They recommended $1200/mo.
So I had a job working for the government and the business expenses on my properties kept me from paying extra taxes. They still took out FICA out of my paycheck, but I always got $4000-5000 refunded to me at the end of the tax season.
I still had to pay $15,000.00 - 30,000.00/yr in property taxes.

This is nonsense. I am not smart nor am I blue collar. I'm a salesperson. So guys like me go to college and get marketing degrees. If you aren't smart enough, communications. But there are a whole lot of jobs in corporate America where guys like me make a lot of money. You have to have a college degree to get your foot in the door.

I would agree with you if you included sales and administration in with skilled labor jobs.

My worry though is if you take away the college and make sales a "skilled labor job" then us sales guys will stop getting paid as well as we do.

So I would agree we shouldn't make a guy like me go to college but then companies have to hire guys like me without a college degree.

All the people in HR. Do they all really need college degrees?

Or how about this. Make it good enough to just get an associates degree. 2 years.

How come you didn't steer your 3 away from college? I notice a lot of people who say not everyone should go to college not only did they go to college but they are sending their kids to college. So you guys aren't willing to take your own advice. You don't want your kid to settle and become a plumber. You want ours to.

In Sales, I'd think that only the top 10% should get bachelors, maybe the next 20% associates. The rest could probably function without any college degree.

How much have you used of what you learned in college? Salaries should be based on productivity, not academic credentials. If colleges are worth a damn, people with higher degrees should excel :laughing0301: .

I'm a college dropout. I have 3 years in Electrical Engineering school. Not having a bachelors meant that my salary level was held down for many years - even though I was given the workload of an degreed Engineer. I was listed on a government (Navy) contract as an electrical engineer, but sure wasn't paid as one.

The reason I didn't steer my 2 son's away from college is that they've both been straight 'A" students. The older one graduated Valedictorian in both grammar school and high school. The younger one went to a high school that specialized in engineering, science & Math. He's now in 2 colleges (and costing me 2 tuitions). He's in flight school & majoring in Computer Engineering. My sons fall well within the 10% highest academic achievers. If they didn't look so much like me, I'd wonder if they were really mine.

I really think that we're out of balance as a society. We need more labor & skilled labor who should get paid more, and less white collar bureaucrats and mouse pushers - and far less executive clowns!

Forum List

Back