We need an independent commission to look at what happened in Afghanistan

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
It isn't just a Biden problem, it didn't start now, and it goes much deeper than what happened today. It requires some serious political soul searching and our broken hyperpatisan political system is incapable of doing that with integrity.

Some of the questions that come to me, as more and more news reveals hidden cracks.

1. What did various military and civilian intelligence say, know, miss?
2. What was relayed to Biden, and his national security team?
3.What was happening with Afghan leadership?
4. What information, if any, was ignored by Biden?
5. Could the outcome have been different while still allowing withdrawal and how?
6. What has the Taliban been doing since they signed that agreement?

More questions.

It isn't just a Biden problem, it didn't start now, and it goes much deeper than what happened today. It requires some serious political soul searching and our broken hyperpatisan political system is incapable of doing that with integrity.

Some of the questions that come to me, as more and more news reveals hidden cracks.

5. Could the outcome have been different while still allowing withdrawal and how?

More questions.

You need some way to blame Biden's monumental fuckup on Trump.

More questions.

Xiden owns it darling.

More questions.
not sure why,, its pretty obvious from any sane person POV,,

democrats elected an idiot that didnt listen to the many people that already had a plan because they were trump people and he fucked it up ,,,,

this guys lays it out pretty clearly,,

You need some way to blame Biden's monumental fuckup on Trump.
This a failure that spans four presidents. Naturally, you are incapable of any honest introspection. Biden will own it, but doesn't end there.

That Agreement excluded the Afghan government. Why?

Taliban broke most of it. Were there any consequences for the Taliban?

What was tbe Afghan government doing? What happened with their military leadership?

What did Biden know? Did he ignore information?

Lots of questions.

More questions.
Good idea.

As we saw with 9/11...the problem that commissions have is that they have no teeth...many of the recommendations of that commission were not adopted.

One thing I was really disappointed in by the Democrats running for Office was that none of them wanted to shrink the power of the Presidency. Biden will oppose any such commission of course (he may surprise me but I doubt it). We may have one when/if the GOP takes one or both houses...but it will be this watered down exercise from which nothing binding will be produced. Just sad.

Interesting. Seems no one thinks we should have an independent co.mission. What are you afraid of?

This a failure that spans four presidents. Naturally, you are incapable of any honest introspection. Biden will own it, but doesn't end there.

That Agreement excluded the Afghan government. Why?

Taliban broke most of it. Were there any consequences for the Taliban?

What was tbe Afghan government doing? What happened with their military leadership?

What did Biden know? Did he ignore information?

Lots of questions.

No, this is a fuckup by a senile old man who is unfit to serve as president.

He should resign.

And you know it.

1629208499939.png

More questions.
Good stuff, agreed. While I'm all for getting out, this was obviously a mess.

This belongs to Biden, but we need the whole story.

Didn't Trump deal with Taliban that we would pull out by May 1, 2021?
Pulling out of Afghan was in the books. It was a little late, but did happen. Why are we surprised that the Taliban did what they did? I'm sure this is no surprise by our intelligence.
Should we not have pulled out and not agreed to our deal with the Taliban? What would have been worse, not pull out and deal with the Taliban and their terrorist actions for not pulling out?
Is there really anyone to blame? That whole part of the world is a complete and total mess and will be for eternity.... it seems.

Good idea.

As we saw with 9/11...the problem that commissions have is that they have no teeth...many of the recommendations of that commission were not adopted.

One thing I was really disappointed in by the Democrats running for Office was that none of them wanted to shrink the power of the Presidency. Biden will oppose any such commission of course (he may surprise me but I doubt it). We may have one when/if the GOP takes one or both houses...but it will be this watered down exercise from which nothing binding will be produced. Just sad.

I think anything less than an independent commission will be nothing more than politics.

Good stuff, agreed. While I'm all for getting out, this was obviously a mess.

This belongs to Biden, but we need the whole story.

My thought too. It didn't just happen. Clearly we effed up on many different fronts for so e time in order to have a failure of this magnitude.

I think anything less than an independent commission will be nothing more than politics.

Anything independent is useless.

Only the rule of law will change further behavior of Presidents and that is a big "if". Doing it outside of government is likely to produce a more honest report. But unless it can translate into bills and laws...what is the point except to have another doorstopper commission report.

Don't get me wrong...it will be useful in terms of exposing the shortcomings. But without any sort of legislation....

More questions.
We know some of these things already. The Taliban, for instance, had gone to various cities and towns and negotiated their surrender soon after tRump's deal had been struck. When our troops left, they just walked in.

More questions.
Was Trump the one that evacuated all the military BEFORE evacuating 10000 US Citizens?

Forum List

Back