Well are you?

most people can't understand that when minimum wage goes up someone's got to pay for it and normally it's the middle class

Liberals never ask where it comes from, just gimme, gimme, gimme. But it's the rich people who are the selfish ones.

I've yet to have a liberal provide a legitimate explanation of how someone who earns what they have wanting to keep more of it is greedy yet someone that didn't earn it expecting those that did to provide for them isn't greedy.

Liberals believe that people with money have it plopped down in their laps. Those evil rich CEO's just sit in their office and practice putts on their astroturf. They know this to be true because they've seen it in movies.

"What is your fair share of what somebody else worked for?"
George Sowell

Good grief. Nobody said CEOs do not work, but they are certainly OVER paid for the work they do. Meanwhile, the people who make the business run are getting shafted.

You only have an opinion. A business decides on what the best way to spend money is.

If not for that CEO, those lowly minimum wage workers might not even have that job.

So why do CEO's make that kind of money? It works like this:

You and I manufacture widgets. We are in competition with each other. I would like to take your customers away and you would like to take mine away.

A CEO is available for work that has an outstanding performance record. He or she has turned companies in the red into companies in the black. For companies not in that position, he has doubled sales and gross income for the companies he's worked for.

The CEO wants 5 mil a year to work for me. I have no choice but to pay him that kind of money, because if I don't, you will, and he will use his business experience to take my customers away and create a better product using less labor, less costs, and create more profit.

BTW, love the new pict.

Thanks for the compliment, but that isn't going to change my mind! :D They are certainly not worth that much. They don't bring in business. The PRODUCT is what brings customers around.

In the 50's, CEOs made 23 times the average worker, now over 200 times, some say 350X. The only way to change that is higher tax rates for the richest.

It wouldn't change anything. That would only give government more money. And we all know what government does with money.
The country is DYING for responsible gov't that invests in infrastructure and education, as it has in the past. Thank you, greedy idiot megarich GOP, and of course the dupes...

In other words, spend somebody else's money but not yours......huh?
Your admiration and sympathy for the bloated greedy idiot GOP rich is noted, dupe. Dem rich want to raise their own taxes.

You are FOS. The Dems (like many other super wealthy) wouldn't pay any additional taxes. Those taxes are against the people that are trying to make their way up the ladder. That's besides the fact that the last time the Republicans did mess with taxes, they increased them for corporations, for individuals making over 450k, and for capital gains. Yet all you liars come here and spew the same old garbage you were back in the 90's.
Dems want to raise taxes on those making over 250K ONLY, Pubs finally gave in on those raised taxes that were a small part of what Dems wanted. Voodoo is a spectacular failure except for the greedy idiot GOP rich, dupe.

In the 50's, CEOs made 23 times the average worker, now over 200 times, some say 350X. The only way to change that is higher tax rates for the richest.

It wouldn't change anything. That would only give government more money. And we all know what government does with money.
The country is DYING for responsible gov't that invests in infrastructure and education, as it has in the past. Thank you, greedy idiot megarich GOP, and of course the dupes...

At this point, after 30 years of Voodoo, the richest pay no more than the poorest in all taxes and fees %wise, and all the wealth goes to the richest. Great job! I pay my taxes happily, but this is ridiculous.

The top 10% of wage earners pay nearly 70% of all collected income taxes. You have no idea WTF you're even talking about.
They also make more than 90% of the income lol. That's pure RW propaganda. Fed income taxes are now no more than payroll taxes that are mainly paid by the middle class, and state and local taxes and fees ditto.

At this point, after 30 years of Voodoo, the richest pay no more than the poorest in all taxes and fees %wise, and all the wealth goes to the richest. Great job! I pay my taxes happily, but this is ridiculous.

The top 10% of wage earners pay nearly 70% of all collected income taxes. You have no idea WTF you're even talking about.
They also make more than 90% of the income lol. That's pure RW propaganda. Fed income taxes are now no more than payroll taxes that are mainly paid by the middle class, and state and local taxes and fees ditto.

No, income taxes are completely different. If you ever worked in your life, you would realize what payroll taxes are.

Payroll taxes are mostly Social Security. Then you have state, city or county depending on where you live. But none of that money buys your liberal goodies such as food stamps, welfare, child care or free lunch. All that and much more comes from income taxes which nearly half of the workers in our country don't pay.

Now if you think it's propaganda, then find me one reliable source that states otherwise. Until that time, you will just have to accept that the top 10% of wage earners in this country DO pay 70% of all collected income taxes.

Your admiration and sympathy for the bloated greedy idiot GOP rich is noted, dupe. Dem rich want to raise their own taxes.

You are FOS. The Dems (like many other super wealthy) wouldn't pay any additional taxes. Those taxes are against the people that are trying to make their way up the ladder. That's besides the fact that the last time the Republicans did mess with taxes, they increased them for corporations, for individuals making over 450k, and for capital gains. Yet all you liars come here and spew the same old garbage you were back in the 90's.
Dems want to raise taxes on those making over 250K ONLY, Pubs finally gave in on those raised taxes that were a small part of what Dems wanted. Voodoo is a spectacular failure except for the greedy idiot GOP rich, dupe.

The point still stands that the Republican Congress did raise taxes on the wealthy. That's something you cannot deny. And every time I see you here trying to BS people that Republicans are always cutting taxes for the rich, I'll be here to remind other readers that you're full of it.

Liberals never ask where it comes from, just gimme, gimme, gimme. But it's the rich people who are the selfish ones.

I've yet to have a liberal provide a legitimate explanation of how someone who earns what they have wanting to keep more of it is greedy yet someone that didn't earn it expecting those that did to provide for them isn't greedy.

Liberals believe that people with money have it plopped down in their laps. Those evil rich CEO's just sit in their office and practice putts on their astroturf. They know this to be true because they've seen it in movies.

George Sowell

Good grief. Nobody said CEOs do not work, but they are certainly OVER paid for the work they do. Meanwhile, the people who make the business run are getting shafted.

You only have an opinion. A business decides on what the best way to spend money is.

If not for that CEO, those lowly minimum wage workers might not even have that job.

You and I manufacture widgets. We are in competition with each other. I would like to take your customers away and you would like to take mine away.

A CEO is available for work that has an outstanding performance record. He or she has turned companies in the red into companies in the black. For companies not in that position, he has doubled sales and gross income for the companies he's worked for.

The CEO wants 5 mil a year to work for me. I have no choice but to pay him that kind of money, because if I don't, you will, and he will use his business experience to take my customers away and create a better product using less labor, less costs, and create more profit.

BTW, love the new pict.

Thanks for the compliment, but that isn't going to change my mind! :D They are certainly not worth that much. They don't bring in business. The PRODUCT is what brings customers around.

A company doesn't pay people not to produce anything. If a company believed that a CEO is not worth that kind of money, they would find a cheaper CEO and pay him much less. But you get what you pay for.

It's just like the Super Bowl where they were paying something like 5 million dollars to run a 30 second ad. They are not paying that kind of money because they have too much money and need to get rid of some. Those 5 million dollar ads likely bring in 10 million or more in sales.

So do you think those ads were overpriced, and if so, how?

George Sowell

BTW, love the new pict.

A company doesn't pay people not to produce anything. If a company believed that a CEO is not worth that kind of money, they would find a cheaper CEO and pay him much less. But you get what you pay for.

It's just like the Super Bowl where they were paying something like 5 million dollars to run a 30 second ad. They are not paying that kind of money because they have too much money and need to get rid of some. Those 5 million dollar ads likely bring in 10 million or more in sales.

They pay them that much because that is what is expected. Plenty of CEOs have run companies into the ground. Companies fail all the time!

The point still stands that the Republican Congress did raise taxes on the wealthy. That's something you cannot deny. And every time I see you here trying to BS people that Republicans are always cutting taxes for the rich, I'll be here to remind other readers that you're full of it.
4% on over $450k is not much...lol. And they got a lot in return.

George Sowell

BTW, love the new pict.

They pay them that much because that is what is expected. Plenty of CEOs have run companies into the ground. Companies fail all the time!

This is true, but many times it's not because of something a CEO did, it could be our economic times, lawsuits, taxes......it could be a number of things.

But CEO's are contract people. If an actress gets 10 mil to do one film, and the film ends up being a flop, she still gets her 10 mil. Or a star pitcher in professional baseball. He may get 5 mil for 4 years. If he pitches like crap, he still gets his 5 mil a year.

People who get paid by contract are those who have a proven past record. Sure, from time to time, they are not able to perform to their past standards. But those who signed the person on with a contract are still legally obligated to pay them.

BTW, love the new pict.

This is true, but many times it's not because of something a CEO did, it could be our economic times, lawsuits, taxes......it could be a number of things.

But CEO's are contract people. If an actress gets 10 mil to do one film, and the film ends up being a flop, she still gets her 10 mil. Or a star pitcher in professional baseball. He may get 5 mil for 4 years. If he pitches like crap, he still gets his 5 mil a year.

People who get paid by contract are those who have a proven past record. Sure, from time to time, they are not able to perform to their past standards. But those who signed the person on with a contract are still legally obligated to pay them.

I am talking about the HUGE wage gaps here in the US. It puts all the power into the hands of the rich. IT is destroying our middle class.

BTW, love the new pict.

I am talking about the HUGE wage gaps here in the US. It puts all the power into the hands of the rich. IT is destroying our middle class.

No, consumers are destroying the middle-class.

We've become a country where we refuse to support good paying jobs because we want all our products and services as cheap as we can get them, and we don't care how low Americans get paid or where they outsource their jobs. All we care about is cheap.

CEO pay is based on supply and demand just like your average everyday worker. The less supply and more demand, the higher the price goes.

Speaking of supply, the biggest contributor to our loss of the middle-class are all these foreigners that DumBama is letting in. If we could cut the cord on that one, it would help the middle-class ten times more than paying a CEO less money.

We've become a country where we refuse to support good paying jobs because we want all our products and services as cheap as we can get them, and we don't care how low Americans get paid or where they outsource their jobs. All we care about is cheap.

CEO pay is based on supply and demand just like your average everyday worker. The less supply and more demand, the higher the price goes.

Speaking of supply, the biggest contributor to our loss of the middle-class are all these foreigners that DumBama is letting in. If we could cut the cord on that one, it would help the middle-class ten times more than paying a CEO less money.

All the experts disagree with you, and I've posted the links for you to read. You are in denial is all.

Where’s My Raise? The Economy Is Growing, but Most People Are Earning Less

George Sowell

BTW, love the new pict.

No, income taxes are completely different. If you ever worked in your life, you would realize what payroll taxes are.

Payroll taxes are mostly Social Security. Then you have state, city or county depending on where you live. But none of that money buys your liberal goodies such as food stamps, welfare, child care or free lunch. All that and much more comes from income taxes which nearly half of the workers in our country don't pay.

Now if you think it's propaganda, then find me one reliable source that states otherwise. Until that time, you will just have to accept that the top 10% of wage earners in this country DO pay 70% of all collected income taxes.
We now have a flat tax system- EVERYONE paying 20-30% in all taxes. With all the new wealth going to the richest. People aren't paid enough and are taxed too much. End of story, dupe..

George Sowell

BTW, love the new pict.

We now have a flat tax system- EVERYONE paying 20-30% in all taxes. With all the new wealth going to the richest. People aren't paid enough and are taxed too much. End of story, dupe..

Wealth doesn't "GO" anywhere. Wealth is earned.

Where’s My Raise? The Economy Is Growing, but Most People Are Earning Less

I don't know what this article was supposed to tell me other than we have a gap that's growing larger. I never disagreed with that.

But I do want to address something said by you and this article. What is "the wealth?" What wealth?

There seems to be this fallacious theory running around mostly in democrat circles that makes people believe we live in a financial bubble. In our bubble, there is only so much money. So when some people in our bubble have too much money, others don't have enough.

Now you on this side of the debate might have a point if I went to my bank tomorrow to borrow some money, and they said they can't because the wealthy have it all, or if I went to my employer and asked for a raise, and he said he'd love to give me one, but the rich people have all the money.

That's never happened to me or anybody else that I know. Therefore, there is no "the wealth" because wealth is unlimited in this country.

So let's say we take half of Bill Gates money away from him; half of Oprah's money away from her, and to stay with the times, half of Trumps money from him. How would that help you or me?

It is literally easier to steal enough money for food than it is to kick a dedicated drug habit. If you really think otherwise you are living in a fantasy world.

You don't agree with scientific studies done upon income equality? I won't argue with you. Since you obviously have a Ph.D. and peer reviewed papers, I shall let you publish your own work on the topic. However, until your own work becomes accepted, we shall have to go on our current understanding, which is a strong positive correlation between increasing income inequality and increasing crime and violent crime rates.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DEC/Resources/Crime&Inequality.pdf

Social capital, income inequality, and firearm violent crime

Again, if you don't agree with our understanding of the world then publish your own research on the matter. Until then you just look ignorant.

Now, the US is a first world nation, and we have a much larger degree of social and economic mobility than most other countries. That is undeniable. It also has nothing to do with the discussion on removing the welfare benefits on the impoverished to reduce tax burden (and size of government). Whether or not people move here to better themselves and whether or not you can move up or down the ladder has nothing to do with the fact that there is a bottom rung on the ladder and that the bottom rung is currently using a good deal of government assistance.

Again, if you want to speak from a logical or rational point of view and are actually looking to reduce welfare benefits...there is absolutely no way you can disagree with my point. Now, if you want to continue to wish the world operated in a way you deem fit or bring up unrelated points that have no bearing on the subject...then please, continue. I, for one, find it quite humorous.

Glad to see you are in such a festive mood.

The United States has been on the decline in violent crime and in particular, gun crime violence since the mid 90's. Although I would attribute that to armed citizenry, I don't (and nobody does) have evidence to support my theory.

It does not discount the FBI statistics that show this decrease regardless of the economy. But I digress to address this income inequality concern of yours:

What is income inequality? It means some are making more money than others? Who is responsible for this income equality? The people at the bottom.

Yes, that's correct, you read it right. The people that are responsible for income inequality are people just like you and me. How? That's quite simple.

Sometime this week, you are going to transfer your wealth to the top; not just you, so am I, so will everybody on this blog.

Sometime this week, you might buy a Microsoft program, an I-pad, an I-phone. Sometime this week, you may stop at McDonald's for lunch, or perhaps Wendy's or Burger King, all very wealthy organizations. Maybe you don't eat fast food, but you do buy gas, don't you? Well guess what? You transfer your money to the top with every fill up. And what about that cell phone you use everyday? Think middle-class people own those companies? What about your cable or satellite service? That's right, transferring more of your money to the top. You do realize that your roof shingles and perhaps asphalt driveway is mostly oil, don't you? Don't replace those items if you don't want to transfer your money to those multi-billion dollar oil companies.

Yes, we all transfer our money to the top. In fact, most people do it repeatedly every single week. In return for giving our money to those evil rich people, they provide us with products and services such as the computer you are using or the internet service to which we can communicate from across the street or across the globe.
And don't pay enough because unions are shot, and pay no more in taxes than the non-rich under GOP tax rates...Great job!

Anyone that has to rely on a union to get them a wage isn't worth hiring.

Bullshit

Unions allow workers to negotiate as a group

Companies want workers to negotiate one on one...that way they can use them against each other

Anyone that has to negotiate as part of a group isn't worth hiring as an individual.
I can see where employers would prefer it that way......play one employee off another

If employers are so intent on every man negotiating for himself, why are they afraid to let employees know what everyone makes?

BTW, love the new pict.

Wealth doesn't "GO" anywhere. Wealth is earned.
Wealth is created by the employees

All the experts disagree with you, and I've posted the links for you to read. You are in denial is all.

No, I'm not in denial at all. You just refuse to listen to real life happenings.

Foreigners are keeping our middle-class wages stagnant. You can post all the articles you like, but one thing that can't be refuted is the simple theory of supply and demand.

When supply is low, and employers find foreigners to do the work instead of Americans, that keeps wages low because without them, the employer would have to offer more money to get interested workers.

There is an endless amount of foreigners (supply) willing to work for less than an employer can get an American to work for. There is no need to increase wages. I see it in my line of work every single day.

No, I'm not in denial at all. You just refuse to listen to real life happenings.

Foreigners are keeping our middle-class wages stagnant. You can post all the articles you like, but one thing that can't be refuted is the simple theory of supply and demand.

When supply is low, and employers find foreigners to do the work instead of Americans, that keeps wages low because without them, the employer would have to offer more money to get interested workers.

There is an endless amount of foreigners (supply) willing to work for less than an employer can get an American to work for. There is no need to increase wages. I see it in my line of work every single day.

That is a contributing factor but not the only one. American wages are stagnant. Again, you are just arguing with the facts.

Forum List

Back