Well are you?

You only have an opinion. A business decides on what the best way to spend money is.

If not for that CEO, those lowly minimum wage workers might not even have that job.

So why do CEO's make that kind of money? It works like this:

You and I manufacture widgets. We are in competition with each other. I would like to take your customers away and you would like to take mine away.

A CEO is available for work that has an outstanding performance record. He or she has turned companies in the red into companies in the black. For companies not in that position, he has doubled sales and gross income for the companies he's worked for.

The CEO wants 5 mil a year to work for me. I have no choice but to pay him that kind of money, because if I don't, you will, and he will use his business experience to take my customers away and create a better product using less labor, less costs, and create more profit.

BTW, love the new pict.

Thanks for the compliment, but that isn't going to change my mind! :D They are certainly not worth that much. They don't bring in business. The PRODUCT is what brings customers around.

A company doesn't pay people not to produce anything. If a company believed that a CEO is not worth that kind of money, they would find a cheaper CEO and pay him much less. But you get what you pay for.

It's just like the Super Bowl where they were paying something like 5 million dollars to run a 30 second ad. They are not paying that kind of money because they have too much money and need to get rid of some. Those 5 million dollar ads likely bring in 10 million or more in sales.

So do you think those ads were overpriced, and if so, how?
The top 10% of wage earners pay nearly 70% of all collected income taxes. You have no idea WTF you're even talking about.
They also make more than 90% of the income lol. That's pure RW propaganda. Fed income taxes are now no more than payroll taxes that are mainly paid by the middle class, and state and local taxes and fees ditto.

No, income taxes are completely different. If you ever worked in your life, you would realize what payroll taxes are.

Payroll taxes are mostly Social Security. Then you have state, city or county depending on where you live. But none of that money buys your liberal goodies such as food stamps, welfare, child care or free lunch. All that and much more comes from income taxes which nearly half of the workers in our country don't pay.

Now if you think it's propaganda, then find me one reliable source that states otherwise. Until that time, you will just have to accept that the top 10% of wage earners in this country DO pay 70% of all collected income taxes.
We now have a flat tax system- EVERYONE paying 20-30% in all taxes. With all the new wealth going to the richest. People aren't paid enough and are taxed too much. End of story, dupe..

Wealth doesn't "GO" anywhere. Wealth is earned.
Wealth is created by the employees

Nope, that's because employees didn't invest one dime into the operation. Employees don't take the risk of keeping a business open every single working day. Employees don't sell the product they make, they only produce the product or service.

Wealth is created by manufacturing a product or providing a service and making a profit at it. The only workers that produce wealth are those who work for themselves.

These problems need to be addressed. When people don't make enough money, they don't spend, and that affects the overall economy in a negative way. It is very bad to have just rich and poor. There are going to be WAY more poor people than rich. This is just common sense that it would take it's toll on our country eventually.

The Class Of 2015 Is In For A Rude Awakening On Pay

Job prospects for college graduates have been pretty terrible for a long time, said Josh Bivens, research and policy director at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. The average young college graduate, between the ages of 21 and 24, makes just under $18/hour, or $36,000 a year, according to new data that EPI is set to release later this month. As an average, that figure is probably skewed a little high, said Bivens.

Since 2000, grads have actually seen their pay fall from $18.41 an hour to $17.94, according to the new EPI data.

A lot of college graduates wind up "underemployed" in jobs that don't require a degree, said Bivens. The unemployment rate for young college graduates was 8.5 percent, according to a 2014 report from EPI, but the underemployment rate was nearly double that.

"There's a reason there's a stereotype of college grads working as baristas in coffee shops," he said.

Indeed, 49 percent of graduates from 2013 and 2014 consider themselves "underemployed," according to Accenture's latest study.

Meanwhile, the class of 2015 has the highest-ever levels of student loan debt, according to data published in the Wall Street Journal last week. The average amount a 2015 grad will have to pay back is $35,000. More than 70 percent of this crop of grads took out loans to pay for school.

This is true, but many times it's not because of something a CEO did, it could be our economic times, lawsuits, taxes......it could be a number of things.

But CEO's are contract people. If an actress gets 10 mil to do one film, and the film ends up being a flop, she still gets her 10 mil. Or a star pitcher in professional baseball. He may get 5 mil for 4 years. If he pitches like crap, he still gets his 5 mil a year.

People who get paid by contract are those who have a proven past record. Sure, from time to time, they are not able to perform to their past standards. But those who signed the person on with a contract are still legally obligated to pay them.

I am talking about the HUGE wage gaps here in the US. It puts all the power into the hands of the rich. IT is destroying our middle class.

No, consumers are destroying the middle-class.

We've become a country where we refuse to support good paying jobs because we want all our products and services as cheap as we can get them, and we don't care how low Americans get paid or where they outsource their jobs. All we care about is cheap.

CEO pay is based on supply and demand just like your average everyday worker. The less supply and more demand, the higher the price goes.

Speaking of supply, the biggest contributor to our loss of the middle-class are all these foreigners that DumBama is letting in. If we could cut the cord on that one, it would help the middle-class ten times more than paying a CEO less money.

All the experts disagree with you, and I've posted the links for you to read. You are in denial is all.

No, I'm not in denial at all. You just refuse to listen to real life happenings.

Foreigners are keeping our middle-class wages stagnant. You can post all the articles you like, but one thing that can't be refuted is the simple theory of supply and demand.

When supply is low, and employers find foreigners to do the work instead of Americans, that keeps wages low because without them, the employer would have to offer more money to get interested workers.

There is an endless amount of foreigners (supply) willing to work for less than an employer can get an American to work for. There is no need to increase wages. I see it in my line of work every single day.

That is a contributing factor but not the only one. American wages are stagnant. Again, you are just arguing with the facts.

Correct, that's not the only one. The larger problem is automation. When wages and benefits get too high, employers invest in robots and machinery to do the work instead. Robots don't demand higher wages. Robots don't need breaks or lunch. Robots can work 24/7 and never complain. Robots don't demand a higher minimum wage. Robots don't need healthcare especially now that Commie Care forces employers to provide it.

McDonald's ordered 70,000 kiosks not too long ago. The companies I service seem to be getting more automated all the time. In fact I just went to visit my doctor not long ago. When I went to the reception desk, there was nobody there. The lights were off over the desk and behind. A woman walked up to me and instructed me to use the brand new kiosk and check myself in instead of the way I've always done it.

Here is an article that's a bit dated, but the research can't be disputed. It's from economist Walter E Williams. It's a short read but very interesting so it shouldn't take up much of your time:

Walter Williams

Job prospects for college graduates have been pretty terrible for a long time, said Josh Bivens, research and policy director at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. The average young college graduate, between the ages of 21 and 24, makes just under $18/hour, or $36,000 a year, according to new data that EPI is set to release later this month. As an average, that figure is probably skewed a little high, said Bivens.

Since 2000, grads have actually seen their pay fall from $18.41 an hour to $17.94, according to the new EPI data.

A lot of college graduates wind up "underemployed" in jobs that don't require a degree, said Bivens. The unemployment rate for young college graduates was 8.5 percent, according to a 2014 report from EPI, but the underemployment rate was nearly double that.

"There's a reason there's a stereotype of college grads working as baristas in coffee shops," he said.

Indeed, 49 percent of graduates from 2013 and 2014 consider themselves "underemployed," according to Accenture's latest study.

Meanwhile, the class of 2015 has the highest-ever levels of student loan debt, according to data published in the Wall Street Journal last week. The average amount a 2015 grad will have to pay back is $35,000. More than 70 percent of this crop of grads took out loans to pay for school.

Okay, so what's the point of this?

These problems need to be addressed. When people don't make enough money, they don't spend, and that affects the overall economy in a negative way. It is very bad to have just rich and poor. There are going to be WAY more poor people than rich. This is just common sense that it would take it's toll on our country eventually.

So what would you like to see done about it?

I am talking about the HUGE wage gaps here in the US. It puts all the power into the hands of the rich. IT is destroying our middle class.

We've become a country where we refuse to support good paying jobs because we want all our products and services as cheap as we can get them, and we don't care how low Americans get paid or where they outsource their jobs. All we care about is cheap.

CEO pay is based on supply and demand just like your average everyday worker. The less supply and more demand, the higher the price goes.

Speaking of supply, the biggest contributor to our loss of the middle-class are all these foreigners that DumBama is letting in. If we could cut the cord on that one, it would help the middle-class ten times more than paying a CEO less money.

All the experts disagree with you, and I've posted the links for you to read. You are in denial is all.

No, I'm not in denial at all. You just refuse to listen to real life happenings.

Foreigners are keeping our middle-class wages stagnant. You can post all the articles you like, but one thing that can't be refuted is the simple theory of supply and demand.

When supply is low, and employers find foreigners to do the work instead of Americans, that keeps wages low because without them, the employer would have to offer more money to get interested workers.

There is an endless amount of foreigners (supply) willing to work for less than an employer can get an American to work for. There is no need to increase wages. I see it in my line of work every single day.

That is a contributing factor but not the only one. American wages are stagnant. Again, you are just arguing with the facts.

Correct, that's not the only one. The larger problem is automation. When wages and benefits get too high, employers invest in robots and machinery to do the work instead. Robots don't demand higher wages. Robots don't need breaks or lunch. Robots can work 24/7 and never complain. Robots don't demand a higher minimum wage. Robots don't need healthcare especially now that Commie Care forces employers to provide it.

McDonald's ordered 70,000 kiosks not too long ago. The companies I service seem to be getting more automated all the time. In fact I just went to visit my doctor not long ago. When I went to the reception desk, there was nobody there. The lights were off over the desk and behind. A woman walked up to me and instructed me to use the brand new kiosk and check myself in instead of the way I've always done it.

Here is an article that's a bit dated, but the research can't be disputed. It's from economist Walter E Williams. It's a short read but very interesting so it shouldn't take up much of your time:

Walter Williams

That is not the reason wages have fallen. Sorry.

The point? The point is that even college graduates aren't making enough money! What do you think is going to happen eventually if this keeps up?

I thought I told you already that I would like to see a rise in minimum wage?

I thought I told you already that I would like to see a rise in minimum wage?

And who do you suppose would ultimately pay that higher minimum wage?

Walter Williams

You obviously didn't even look at the article.

The Incredible Shrinking Incomes of Young Americans

American families are grappling with stagnant wage growth, as the costs of health care, education, and housing continue to climb. But for many of America's younger workers, "stagnant" wages shouldn't sound so bad. In fact, they might sound like a massive raise.

Since the Great Recession struck in 2007, the median wage for people between the ages of 25 and 34, adjusted for inflation, has fallen in every major industry except for health care.
Young People's Wages Have Fallen Across Industries Between 2007 and 2013

a78bd9ede.png

Census: Current Population Survey
These numbers come from an analysis of the Census Current Population Survey by Konrad Mugglestone, an economist with Young Invincibles.

In retail, wholesale, leisure, and hospitality—which together employ more than one quarter of this age group—real wages have fallen more than 10 percent since 2007. To be clear, this doesn't mean that most of this cohort are seeing their pay slashed, year after year. Instead it suggests that wage growth is failing to keep up with inflation, and that, as twentysomethings pass into their thirties, they are earning less than their older peers did before the recession.

The picture isn't much better for the youngest group of workers between 18 and 24. Besides health care, the industries employing the vast majority of part-time students and recent graduates are also watching wages fall behind inflation. (40 percent of this group is enrolled in college.)

The point? The point is that even college graduates aren't making enough money! What do you think is going to happen eventually if this keeps up?

Likely it will lead to less people entering college. But what else are we supposed to do, put a gun to the heads of CEO's of companies and force them to pay college graduates more?

Walter Williams

I've already read about that theory. Even though there are kiosks, there are still bank tellers, etc. These people are always going to be needed because . . .
1. Some people don't trust these machines. They have functional problems sometimes, and they can be tampered with.
2. Something always goes wrong with automation. I remember when they said years ago that speech recognition would take over my job. Well, we have PLENTY of editing work to do from speech recognition programs because, even though they have a HUGE memory/data base, they are not capable of storing and remembering all of the new information that is presented every day.

Now, that may be different for McDonald's workers, but I think there are always going to be workers physically present even with the existence of kiosks and automated systems.

Walter Williams

I've already read about that theory. Even though there are kiosks, there are still bank tellers, etc. These people are always going to be needed because . . .
1. Some people don't trust these machines. They have functional problems sometimes, and they can be tampered with.
2. Something always goes wrong with automation. I remember when they said years ago that speech recognition would take over my job. Well, we have PLENTY of editing work to do from speech recognition programs because, even though they have a HUGE memory/data base, they are not capable of storing and remembering all of the new information that is presented every day.

Now, that may be different for McDonald's workers, but I think there are always going to be workers physically present even with the existence of kiosks and automated systems.

Correct, but much less of them.

And I suggest you read the article if you want to find out what's going on in our country when it comes to jobs. As for your job, if you work on the phone, you're one of the few Americans that do. Most of that kind of work is farmed out to third world countries.

Bank tellers? They too have been replaced by machines. The only people you see in the bank these days are old people who are scared of touch screens and people that have a transaction that the machine can't handle such as bringing in your rolled coins or applying for a loan of some sorts.

Walter Williams

And I suggest you read the article if you want to find out what's going on in our country when it comes to jobs. As for your job, if you work on the phone, you're one of the few Americans that do. Most of that kind of work is farmed out to third world countries.

Bank tellers? They too have been replaced by machines. The only people you see in the bank these days are old people who are scared of touch screens and people that have a transaction that the machine can't handle such as bringing in your rolled coins or applying for a loan of some sorts.

I see all kinds of people in the bank at the tellers all the time, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Walter Williams

I don't work on the phone. I work on the computer, but you would be wrong there too. A friend of mine works at a call center that employs like 300 people. They also do a little bit of sales.

Actually, I do have a part time job working the phones, but that is done through the computer too. Not actually "answering phones." I do a lot of transferring of calls to the correct departments, etc. That is at my local hospital though, not at a call center. My regular job is a medical transcriptionist.

Forum List

Back