Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

I had fish sticks and tater tots the other day and OMG I haven't had them in years and they were so freaking yummy, lol.

I am a tot-aholic

I've never really liked tater tots or fish sticks. I am very picky when it comes to fish anyway. :) I like it fried (but not fried, then frozen), or baked with ritz cracker crumbs, butter and lemon.

I only like fish baked, and will mostly only eat cod or flounder. I think it was because when I was little, I couldn't tell you how many times I rammed bones into the roof of my mouth and had to have one of my parents pull them out, so I tend to the flaky fish that falls apart readily.

Ritz make good bread crumbs, especially for casseroles.
I found a dandy recipe for baking fish fillets. Coat of flour, dip in egg wash, cover with Panko crumbs. 425 for 20 minutes.

I make chicken cutlets that way a lot of times, with my homemade rice a roni. :D Now that is a yummy meal, and simple too.

I bought myself a nice little steak Sunday and I'm going to make it tonight on my grill, even though it is freezing outside. I've moved my grill close to my patio door. I'll just put on my coat and my snow pants. Lol! :wink_2: That and some mashed potatoes, or maybe twice baked potatoes! Yummy yummy! I can't wait for dinnertime! :)

I made my version of pastitsio today. This is generally a baked pasta dish with bechamel sauce and penne pasta, neither of which I especially care for. I used rotini pasta, which gave me a texture I liked better, and made a bacon-and-parmesan white sauce instead. I thought it came out very well, and none of the guys passed on their helpings, so I guess it was good.

I made my version of pastitsio today. This is generally a baked pasta dish with bechamel sauce and penne pasta, neither of which I especially care for. I used rotini pasta, which gave me a texture I liked better, and made a bacon-and-parmesan white sauce instead. I thought it came out very well, and none of the guys passed on their helpings, so I guess it was good.

That sounds delicious, a lot like an alfredo sauce.

I ate a nutritious meal of lobster bisq....who am I kidding.....I went to Taco Bell. Worked a good part of the day in increasing winds working on a raised garden bed project I need to get done before I either 1) abandon it for 6 more months or 2) decide to redesign it and spend another 12 months building some overkill Martha Stewart type monster bed with water slides and solar-powered windmills and shit. It was the first day in several weekends where it wasn't some combination of bitter cold and/or raining.

I ate a nutritious meal of lobster bisq....who am I kidding.....I went to Taco Bell. Worked a good part of the day in increasing winds working on a raised garden bed project I need to get done before I either 1) abandon it for 6 more months or 2) decide to redesign it and spend another 12 months building some overkill Martha Stewart type monster bed with water slides and solar-powered windmills and shit. It was the first day in several weekends where it wasn't some combination of bitter cold and/or raining.

giggle.gif

taco-bell_c_584355.jpg

I had fish sticks and tater tots the other day and OMG I haven't had them in years and they were so freaking yummy, lol.

I do a reverse-shepherd's pie with tater tots that my family is crazy about. You spread the tater tots in a layer in the casserole dish and put them in the oven, brown the meat and onions, add whatever sauce you want to use (sometimes I go with gravy, sometimes with cream of mushroom soup) and frozen veggies, spread it over the browned tater tots, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and bake until the cheese is melted.

That sounds delicious, a lot like an alfredo sauce.

Basically, yes. I love bacon-flavored Italian sauces. The bacon adds this nice, smoky touch to the flavor.

Shepherd's pie last night. I don't really make a traditional Shepherd's pie. I put corn instead of peas, and I put a layer of hamburger, cooked with onions, garlic, smoked paprika, garlic salt, and a little Cayenne pepper. Then I layer that in the pie plate, put a layer of fresh shredded cheddar (I like Cabot's block of cheddar cheese the best), and then my layer of mashed potatoes, which I cook in water with some smashed garlic, and then I add butter, cream, sour cream, salt and pepper. Smear that on top of the cheese layer, sprinkle with a little Cayenne pepper, and bake at 400 for about 20-30 minutes. :) Delicious!

I always tweak recipes to suit MY tastes. :D Leave some things out, add other things.

Last edited:
I stopped work at noon today and made chili and sloppy joe for the weekend. :)
I bought a rump roast(2lbs, how do they call that a roast?) and am going to cube it, make an old fashioned beef stew with mushrooms, and serve it over white rice, like the LA boy I am.

You can never go wrong with rice and gravy.

Unless of course, you go grits and gravy!

; - )

I stopped work at noon today and made chili and sloppy joe for the weekend. :)
I bought a rump roast(2lbs, how do they call that a roast?) and am going to cube it, make an old fashioned beef stew with mushrooms, and serve it over white rice, like the LA boy I am.

You can never go wrong with rice and gravy.

Unless of course, you go grits and gravy!

; - )
That sounds good too. I bought a chuck roast at the store. Not sure what I'll do with it yet. I usually just brown it, cook in the crock pot with carrots, potatoes, other veggies.

Forum List

Back