Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

I stopped work at noon today and made chili and sloppy joe for the weekend. :)
I bought a rump roast(2lbs, how do they call that a roast?) and am going to cube it, make an old fashioned beef stew with mushrooms, and serve it over white rice, like the LA boy I am.

You can never go wrong with rice and gravy.

Unless of course, you go grits and gravy!

; - )
That sounds good too. I bought a chuck roast at the store. Not sure what I'll do with it yet. I usually just brown it, cook in the crock pot with carrots, potatoes, other veggies.
That's good too; a good natural gravy, mmmm.

I just had a hankering for beef stew.

I like to do whole sirloin roasts, but, kids are grown and gone, rarely get to do that anymore.

They always insist on turkey on big days, because I do it so damned good.

Last night we had what we pretty much always have on weekly grocery shopping day: grilled salmon, steamed veggies, and fresh bread. Same old same old .... but so good.

Last night we had what we pretty much always have on weekly grocery shopping day: grilled salmon, steamed veggies, and fresh bread. Same old same old .... but so good.

Variety is over rated.

I got some basics I like down pat, quick and easy.

If I need variety I visit my GF.

Nothing wrong with staying with your comfort foods.

I miss fresh fish though, since I had to give up fishing.

Never could eat much store bought fish.

I bought some Ribeyes too. I love marinading them and cooking them on the grill. :lol: I enjoy cooking more now than when I was much younger. I think it was because I was too busy then.

Variety is over rated.

I got some basics I like down pat, quick and easy.

If I need variety I visit my GF.

Nothing wrong with staying with your comfort foods.

I miss fresh fish though, since I had to give up fishing.

Never could eat much store bought fish.

We live in a city with excellent grocery store options - including several fresh fish markets. I'll note that good fresh fish are quite expensive, but we work it into our budget. For daily fare, I prefer simple fresh food.

We have excellent seafood restaurants here. :lol: I'm not good with fish. I am low sodium so we don't get much pork but we like chicken too. Sometimes it's just soup and salad.

I bought some Ribeyes too. I love marinading them and cooking them on the grill. :lol: I enjoy cooking more now than when I was much younger. I think it was because I was too busy then.
I like a sirloin strip better; ribeye has a bit too much fat.

I enjoy cooking less now, because I have to eat it for a week.

We have excellent seafood restaurants here. :lol: I'm not good with fish. I am low sodium so we don't get much pork but we like chicken too. Sometimes it's just soup and salad.
I great with any seafood.

Also, very high sodium, drench everything in Himalayan Pink Rock salt, and, am now damned near invincible again.

Tonight: Chicken Noodle Soup....going to be all snowy tomorrow.
For Stock:
1 whole chicken, cut up
1 large onion, quartered
4 cloves garlic, or 1 large Tb of minced garlic
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
1 teaspoon oregano
2-3 bay leaves
1 cup chicken stock, store bought is fine
Add water till all ingredients are covered by half inch or so
---- Boil for 45 minutes Lid closed ---
Pour through colander into large bowl
set chicken pieces aside till cool enough to tear and put back in...
Soup:
1 tsp. rosemary
2-3 carrots cut
2 large celery stalks cut
4-5 mushrooms cut up
Cook 15 minutes
Put in 1 pkg. Inn Maid egg noodles (kind I like)
Cook till noodles soft
Add 2 Tsb parmesean cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream

Eat!!

Seared ahi tuna seasoned with a ginger miso marinade
Sauteed spinach with shitake mushrooms, shredded carrot, and garlic (with sesame oil & soy sauce)
Brown rice seasoned with turmeric & garlic.

Roasted chicken breast with Cajun seasoning, green beans and egg noodles, all with Cajun seasoning..
I'm from Louisiana, and don't really like Cajun food that much.

Too often it has way too much red pepper, like some sort of macho thing.

I was raised on great food, but much of it is a lost art.

I should have paid more attention.

Agreed. But, your post reminds me that I haven't made jambalaya or gumbo in a coon's age. I should make one of those things this weekend.

Agreed. But, your post reminds me that I haven't made jambalaya or gumbo in a coon's age. I should make one of those things this weekend.
I have gotten lazy.

I use store-bought roux, and pre-chopped frozen everything.

When I was a kid, and my dad cooked(he was a fantastic cook, but too much of an asshole to learn anything from) we called it "Slave Stew".

He was the deer camp cook.

Son of a bitch would have me chop two dozen onions, and send them back, and say "Chop them finer".

To this day I can hardly make myself chop an onion.

Roasted chicken breast with Cajun seasoning, green beans and egg noodles, all with Cajun seasoning..
I'm from Louisiana, and don't really like Cajun food that much.

Too often it has way too much red pepper, like some sort of macho thing.

I was raised on great food, but much of it is a lost art.

I should have paid more attention.
I eat all peppers , especially if they are spicy...I made some salsa from the garden one time that would burn the skin off the roof of your mouth to the tail of the colon...

Forum List

Back