Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

My Grandma was polish and trust me grandma's a good cooks, but Polish grandma's are GREAT cooks.
They really are. My ex mother in law was a wonderful cook. She taught me some things but every dang thing she touched just turned out perfectly. It was a shock to my husband's system because he was used to her great cooking and I was pretty pathetic.

I got better eventually though. We all do.

Orange chicken over rice. OMG, that was SOOO delicious. :)

Recipe:

Cut chicken into about 2-inch cubes, mix flour and cornstarch with white pepper, a little salt and some ground ginger. Cook in oil until browned well on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside (make sure you pour the juice from the chicken on the chicken, that adds lots of flavor).

Wipe out pan and add minced red onions and garlic, sauteed in about 2 tbs butter, add 2 tbs flour, cook for a couple minutes. Add about a cup of white wine (or rice wine vinegar -didn't have that - had to substitute). Bring to a boil to reduce alcohol. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 cup of orange juice. Add about 2 tsp of ground ginger or 1 tsp of fresh ground ginger. Bring to a slow simmer until thickened. Add chicken and juice from chicken and cook until done. Add chopped scallions. Serve over white rice. I cooked my white rice in vegetable stock and white wine and added a little bit of cardamom.

Eat! :D

Recipe:

Cut chicken into about 2-inch cubes, mix flour and cornstarch with white pepper, a little salt and some ground ginger. Cook in oil until browned well on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside (make sure you pour the juice from the chicken on the chicken, that adds lots of flavor).

Wipe out pan and add minced red onions and garlic, sauteed in about 2 tbs butter, add 2 tbs flour, cook for a couple minutes. Add about a cup of white wine (or rice wine vinegar -didn't have that - had to substitute). Bring to a boil to reduce alcohol. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 cup of orange juice. Add about 2 tsp of ground ginger or 1 tsp of fresh ground ginger. Bring to a slow simmer until thickened. Add chicken and juice from chicken and cook until done. Add chopped scallions. Serve over white rice. I cooked my white rice in vegetable stock and white wine and added a little bit of cardamom.

My son keeps begging me to make orange chicken. Not sure what his obsession is with it, but I think I might do that this weekend.

Recipe:

My son keeps begging me to make orange chicken. Not sure what his obsession is with it, but I think I might do that this weekend.

You won't be disappointed. I think that was the most delicious chicken meal I've ever made! :) I am planning on making it again myself very soon. Also, if you want to make it spicy, you can add some red pepper flakes or a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce or something. That would probably be really good too.

My Grandma was polish and trust me grandma's a good cooks, but Polish grandma's are GREAT cooks.
They really are. My ex mother in law was a wonderful cook. She taught me some things but every dang thing she touched just turned out perfectly. It was a shock to my husband's system because he was used to her great cooking and I was pretty pathetic.

I got better eventually though. We all do.
I took for granted the great dishes of my youth.

My grandmother was a wonderful cook, as were both my parents.

I wish I had learned more down at my grandmothers, that small town Mississippi River blend of Creole, soul and Southern was just fantastic.

I can imitate some of it, never duplicate it.

Recipe:

Recipe:

I have been making that lately, with pineapple in it too.

I use onions, green onions, red, yellow and green bell peppers, and fresh pineapple cubes.

I can't eat that too often though or I would weigh 200 lbs.

I make a wicked Mongolian beef too.

Tonight, just a plain shrimp pizza.

Forum List

Back