Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Home raised bottom round roast; sliced and with it's own au jous poured over it on the serving plate. Baked pork & beans, applesauce.

Tonights cooking experiment was Steak Piziaolo over rice.

Basically london broil cut prior to cooking into 1/2 in slices, browned for 2 minutes on each side, then cooked in a tomato/onion/red pepper sauce for 1.5 hours.

Sounds like what we call swiss steak...

Round steak; pounded, or cubed, or not....cut about 1/2" thick
drizzle in flour/salt/pepper, brown

Bake, covered, in tomato sauce/canned tomatoes/green peppers/onion/garlic at 325-350 until you can pull the meat apart with a fork (maybe 3 hours)

I've known people who just put the meat, flour, seasonings and whatever they put in the sauce in an oven bag and bake that...that turns out really good, too.

I think we're having spaghetti.

Tonights cooking experiment was Steak Piziaolo over rice.

Basically london broil cut prior to cooking into 1/2 in slices, browned for 2 minutes on each side, then cooked in a tomato/onion/red pepper sauce for 1.5 hours.

You mind posting that recipe?

Home made chicken soup with home made egg noodles and fresh baked herb bread.

comfort food at its best.

Home made chicken soup with home made egg noodles and fresh baked herb bread.

comfort food at its best.

homemade egg noodles? Please share!

I have a whole photobucket pictorial essay...

Except I didn't take pics of the first couple of steps...

I have made them without a recipe, just winging it. For Thanksgiving turkey noodle soup, I did use a recipe just because it had been a while:

Egg Noodles Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This is how I did it (not my image)...when I was growing up, we made egg noodles with yolks only, but I went ahead and followed the above recipe this time:

550px-Make-Egg-Noodles-Step-3.jpg

eggnoodles3.jpg

eggnoodles6.jpg

eggnoodles8.jpg

Now it's pretty tough stretchy dough, it will keep springing back as you roll it, but eventually you'll get a nice, dry, stretchy dough. Then you fold it in on itself in thirds:

252291_519231834756542_598790651_n.jpg

Then you slice it:

291754_519231884756537_1238864288_n.jpg

Then you unfold the noodles, and let them *dry* a little..or a lot, as you choose. I just let them dry as long as it took to do everything, which was actually quite a little time:

I didn't use racks, but you certainly could:

318907_519231941423198_13051623_n.jpg

Into the pot, a few at a time:

29565_519232024756523_680641193_n.jpg

20285_519232071423185_502891194_n.jpg

They are yummy.

When they aren't dried, they tend to quickly absorb all the liquid...so you might want to adjust the amount of noodles you put in. I made this for 6 people, and they ate probably 2/3 of it in one setting (and it was over the top splendid). But within, oh, 8 hours of cooking time, almost all the liquid was gone, and there was just a big pot of noodles. Good, super flavorful noodles, but still, not exactly soup...I probably should have made a casserole out of it.

I made A LOT of noodles, though, and I put them all in. I probably could have gotten away with only half of the volume..but I have a horror of not having enough noodles in my noodle soup. I just think that would be a disgrace...to serve turkey noodle soup, except there aren't enough noodles, lol.

Tried and true...1 packet of brown gravy mix, 1 can of cream of mushroom, roast.

Let it cook for 8 hours.

I've never seen it fail.

Cooking it too long? I cook mine on low for 4-6 hours depending on size. I stab it every hour after 3, again, depending on size. Here is a couple real good recipes for roast.

Big can of tomato soup(just judge on amount. Want it covering about halfway up on the roast). Sounds weird, and the bottom will be red, but the taste is undeniable! IDK what it is about that...
Half a beer, quarter to half a bottle of italian dressing and before putting it in crockpot rub it down with ranch powder. Add seasonings as you see fit(on both recipes).
Any recipes I give might be a little off. I do not go by them. I freehand almost everything I make that is not boxed.

Lolol...how do you cook it?

Badly. It's like no matter what seasonings I use, there's no flavor! Of course, I got this non-recipe from my mom. I should probably dig around the net for some changes.

I put the veggies on the bottom, sliced, covered with sliced onions, meat on top, salt and pepper and like a cup of water. Cooked on low for 10-12 hours.

Forum List

Back