Went to the Range yesterday

Every day is mental health day around here. I've been working up loads with all these bullets, primers, and powder I still have left. Yesterday I threw together 450 rounds of subsonic 9mm with some 147 gr. JHP Rainier plated bullets I had. I loaded them so they would feed, chamber and be dead nuts on target with five different 9mm pistols: A Glock 19, a Taurus G2C, a S&W Sigma, a Star Model B, and a Ruger P89.

They're pushing about 900fps through the 5" barreled Star Model B and I'm getting a standard deviation of 8.6, which is pretty damned good. The 3" barreled Taurus G2C actually shot the tightest groups at 25 yards. That's because it seems to have the least wear in the chamber throat and I used it to set the overall length of the cartridge.

A Ruger P95DC is my primary sidearm ... The one I am most likely to carry on any given day if I decide to.
I like it because it is heavy, as well as the combat safety and double action.
The fact it will put three in a pie pan at 25 meters in short order, without a lot of trouble keeping it on target, helps as well.

I liked the Ruger and it was the second pistol I carried concealed. But it had one issue I didn't like: The de-cocking lever on it could get snagged on my shirt when I unholstered it, disabling the trigger mechanism. After that happened a couple times when practicing, I went to a Glock 19. Those are completely idiot-proof, as long as you keep everything away from the trigger when you re-holster it.

After being a range officer for several years and a firearms instructor I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as "idiot proof". Idiots will always find a way.

Very true. I think I meant "idiot-proof" as in that it goes "bang" without having to fumble around with a safety or a hammer.

:auiqs.jpg:

I think we had this discussion before but I prefer all my pistols having a safety.

For the first time in over 15 months. It's the nearest place and it's an indoor range. I decided to go before it becomes an oven. The place is awful starting around July. Ventilation is with outside air - here that means 88 degrees and 80% humidity.
Anyway, it was great - time to shed some frustration and anxiety. First up was the Smith M&P 15-22 with the Hell Fire snap on. Two 50 rd Black Dog drums later and I was feeling much better. Then on to the CZ Scorpion, a Hell Fire snap on and a Beta Cmag 100rd drum - cutting the ovals out of the big targets. Waste of ammo? You bet. But, excellent therapy after 2020.

My wife and I did a little serious shooting too. I ran around 100 44 specials through the revolver and she shot 150 rounds through her MKIII Ruger. All in all, a good day.
The downside is I have to clean them now.
I'm hoping the situation at the outdoor range I go to will improve by this fall. I have a new Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor I bought in January 2020 I haven't shot yet. I got it scoped and roughed in with the collimator. Luckily, I bought 200 rounds of various ammo to try in January 2020.

Anybody else had a mental health day recently?

Cheers
Well not to often I go through shells this time of year. I got out on the water Sunday. Blew some carbon out the boat. Hit about 30 to 32 Knotts and could hear the passengers getting excited. Went out about 12 miles put the poles in the water. Started out slow. Had times with no bites then slaughtered them then nothing. Kinda came in waves. Long day three hours up 7 hrs on lake three hours back. Can't wait till business in city is concluded and on lake full time. Walked through my condo and camper for first-time since November. Won't take much to get condo going but the camper is going to take some work. Good mental health day.
I work at a camp grounds and float company on weekends getting a chuckle out of what people call primitive camping with air conditioners.
Ya, my camper has ac also. I am on the water most waking hours. Not at camper till sundown. I use it in August some.

New Topics

Forum List

Back