Wettest City in the USA, Gasquet California! Ignored! No Drought!

While the example of Gasquet does not a sound argument make, let me answer the question; is California in a drought? By the historic record we are. The 20th Century was an unusually wet century.

But record keeping only goes back 165 years. Natural evidence (tree rings, sediment, etc) indicate that the region had much worse droughts during the last 1,000 years. So this relatively minor drought isn't a good piece of evidence for AGW

California drought: Past dry periods have lasted more than 200 years, scientists say

Again, Elektra, do you believe the high rainfall in Gasquet refutes the drought observed in the lower three-fourths of the state?

So, Elektra, any comment? Are you suggesting that the rainfall in Gasquet refutes the drought claims of the southern three-quarters of the state?
Are you calling Southern California 3/4's of the state? How about being specific, are you stating a quarter of the state is above averages and the other 3/4 is below average. Simply being below average is not how science defines a drought, is it?

So clear up your question, crick, maybe you can produce a colored picture to make a point.

Did you not know what I was talking about? Were precise details required to answer the question?

Something along the lines of:

20160621_west_none.png

Intensity:
  • D0 (Abnormally Dry) Light tan
  • D1 (Moderate Drought) Yellow
  • D2 (Severe Drought) Orange
  • D3 (Extreme Drought) Red
  • D4 (Exceptional Drought) Dark Red
The Drought Monitor focuses on broad-scale conditions. Local conditions may vary. See

Did you not know what I was talking about? Were precise details required to answer the question?

20160621_west_none.png

Intensity:
The Drought Monitor focuses on broad-scale conditions. Local conditions may vary. See
Gasquet is in yellow! Gasquet is not in drought, never has been, never will. Areas with over 150% of the average are in yellow! Your colored picture is a lie, propaganda.

Further it describes the deserts as being in drought? Death Valley is in a drought? The Colorado Desert is in a drought?

Areas that grow grapes, Napa Valley, the Central Valley, the Central coast, are show in a drought status? Even though they have received normal amounts of rain, even though the Crush Reports show the last 5 years producing above average grape harvests? 3 of those years setting records for the amount of grapes harvested!

Nope, crick, all you got is propaganda.

Now if you could actually answer the question I asked, that would be wonderful, any idiot can post the drought map, which is a colored picture, nothing more. Not science, not the climate.

Last edited:

20160621_west_none.png

Intensity:
Gasquet is in yellow! Gasquet is not in drought, never has been, never will. Areas with over 150% of the average are in yellow! Your colored picture is a lie, propaganda.

Further it describes the deserts as being in drought? Death Valley is in a drought? The Colorado Desert is in a drought?

Areas that grow grapes, Napa Valley, the Central Valley, the Central coast, are show in a drought status? Even though they have received normal amounts of rain, even though the Crush Reports show the last 5 years producing above average grape harvests? 3 of those years setting records for the amount of grapes harvested!

Nope, crick, all you got is propaganda.

Now if you could actually answer the question I asked, that would be wonderful, any idiot can post the drought map, which if a colored picture, nothing more. Not science, not the climate.
How much of that rain have you hauled to southern California?

While the example of Gasquet does not a sound argument make, let me answer the question; is California in a drought? By the historic record we are. The 20th Century was an unusually wet century.

But record keeping only goes back 165 years. Natural evidence (tree rings, sediment, etc) indicate that the region had much worse droughts during the last 1,000 years. So this relatively minor drought isn't a good piece of evidence for AGW

California drought: Past dry periods have lasted more than 200 years, scientists say
I think Gasquet is the beginning of a very sound argument. It is completely ignored, not one person would guess or has stated that he wettest place in the USA is in California, why is that? It is simple, the California climate is being used for reasons of propaganda.

Further, I link to much more than Gasquet, which paints a very different picture. Gasquet is very sound, a great place to start, don't you think?

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/monthly_precip.php

Screenshot from 2016-06-26 10-10-58.png

GASQUET COMPLEX

Gasquet Complex Incident Information:
Last Updated: August 4, 2015 9:00 am FINAL
Date/Time Started: July 31, 2015 9:00 pm
Administrative Unit: USFS - Six Rivers National Forest
County: Del Norte County
Estimated - Containment: 30,361 acres - 100% contained
***This is not a CAL FIRE incident. Check the link above for more information from the US Forest Service.***

Gasquet Complex General Information

So, this wettest place in California that has no drought ends up with a 30,000 acre forest fire. That's over 50 square miles.

Elektra, you are out of your ever loving mind. If a place that normally gets 10 inches of rain a month, gets only 3, then it is at least abnormally dry. And, if a desert that only gets 1/2 inch a month, only gets 2 inches for the whole year, it is in drought, and still a desert.

How much of that rain have you hauled to southern California?
That is an interesting point and fact your bring to my OP, Central and Southern California are dry, and extreme measures, such as, "hauled", water have been utilized to irrigate California.

Excellent point Moonglow, water historically has been hauled to irrigate California.

A Brief History of Irrigation in the Imperial Valley, California - DesertUSA

Chaffey's Australian experiences led him to believe that Rockwood's irrigation project could succeed. At the time, water was imported by rail from Coachella Valley, severely limiting habitation in the area. But "when it became known that the area was going to be developed, many people moved into the desert valley. Five townsites were surveyed..." (The Journal of San Diego History, Winter 1975, Volume 21, Number 1, When the Imperial Valley Fought for its Life, By Robert L. Sperry). Landowners were assessed for shares in mutual water companies, assuring their rights to delivery of water to their parcels, and raising money for the construction of the canals.

Dredging was begun in 1900 and construction on the canal in 1901.

101 inches of rain for the year! Dismissed as no help! As I stated, this is all about politics, nothing more, why else would one ignore the wettest place in the continental USA!

Because if you knew anything at all about Northern California, the water is needed for the summer months when daily temps of well over 90° dry out the forests and chaparral and make for very damaging fire situations. Also the geographic area of Gasquet makes no measurable impact on water stores.
If you knew anything at all about California, you would simply admit, that yes, California has the wettest city in the Nation.

From colored drawings, to nonsensical rants, people are all uptight when it is pointed out that California is wet. Why? Because it is all about selling the public on Global Warming and a phony drought.

Can a place be called a 'city' when it has a population of 600 people?

California is not wet- a small portion of Northern California is wet.

Anyone who knows California knows this.
A small portion? NO! All of Northern California is very wet, one of the wettest places in the USA, the fact is one of many stations records the most rain, had this station not set the record for the country, there are dozzens of others that are contenders.

Northern California is big, it is not a small spot, it is as big as Kansas, Northern California is bigger than Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts, combined.

But to continue with the propaganda fed to the public, the rainiest spot in the USA is ignored, Death Valley is Colored Red on a map to make it look like an extreme climate change has occurred.

California is home to three distinct deserts, individually bigger than many states.

But hey, when it comes to politics and power, the politicians are here to save the world, and that is what they tell their children, and what better way to secure power, than through fear, and all they have to do is wait for the fire season to kick in, and scream, "run for your lives".

The majority of Northern California- where I live- is dry for mody of the year. We get what rain we get between November and March.

The small region that does not fit that description is the far north coast- and by far North coast we are talking Eureka and the portion close to the Oregon border.

The rest of Northern California- from Yreka down is dry most of the year.

This year we were lucky enough to get about average rainfall- but that doesn't make up for the years of drought we have had- which is one of the reasons we have so many dead trees in Southern California.

GASQUET COMPLEX

Gasquet Complex Incident Information:
Last Updated: August 4, 2015 9:00 am FINAL
Date/Time Started: July 31, 2015 9:00 pm
Administrative Unit: USFS - Six Rivers National Forest
County: Del Norte County
Estimated - Containment: 30,361 acres - 100% contained
***This is not a CAL FIRE incident. Check the link above for more information from the US Forest Service.***

Gasquet Complex General Information

So, this wettest place in California that has no drought ends up with a 30,000 acre forest fire. That's over 50 square miles.

Elektra, you are out of your ever loving mind. If a place that normally gets 10 inches of rain a month, gets only 3, then it is at least abnormally dry. And, if a desert that only gets 1/2 inch a month, only gets 2 inches for the whole year, it is in drought, and still a desert.
Fire and Rain, to very different things Old Crock, your link is very old, from last year, my post refers to this year, but lets take a look at your links.

First and foremost, Old Crock, you are a complete idiot, the fire in Gasquet Complex was not 30,000 acres. Should we ask, are you dumb or a liar for propaganda purposes? Hoping nobody actually reads what you link to?

According to your link Old Crock, the fires is the Gasquet Complex was 648.7 acres, not 30,000 acres, I guess math for Old Crock is not as easy as PIE!

650 acres of fire in California is below average. Fire in California is normal, Fire is actually good for the forests, some trees will never grow without fire.

Gasquet Complex – Gasquet Ranger District:There are 9 active fires. The Go Fire was contained at 0.2 acres. The Divide Fire was contained at 3 acres. The Bear Fire has burned 150 acres and is 20 percent contained. Because the fire moved closer to the Bear Basin Butte Lookout and Pierson Cabin, it was closed and the occupants were evacuated. The Paw Fire has burned 30 acres in the Siskiyou Wilderness and is 20 percent contained. The Coon Fire has burned 200 acres and is 20 percent contained. The Peak Fire is at 85 acres, the Summit Fire is at 0.5 acres, the Williams Fire is at 100 acres, and the Feeder Fire is at 80 acres. The fires are now being managed by Southern California Interagency Incident Management Team (IMT) 2 with Don Garwood as incident commander. Their incident command post (ICP) is at the Mountain Middle School, in Gasquet.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-06-26 10-46-22.png
    Screenshot from 2016-06-26 10-46-22.png
    88 KB · Views: 53
All I can say, is wow when I hear all the doom and gloom about California, the Wettest City on the North American continent is ignored!

Almost 100" of rain and the year is hardly over! Why is Gasquet California ignored? Politics, money, and global warming, you can not sell a drought when you got the wettest city in the nation.

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
GASC1 GASQUET RS 98.89"

AS you can see, Gasquet is ignored.

The 30 U.S. cities that get the most rain
#2. Maple Valley, Washington Annual Precipitation (inches): 85.73

Study Reveals Top 10 Wettest U.S. Cities
The 10 rainiest cities in the U.S. by amount of annual rainfall include:

• Mobile, Ala.: 67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
  • Pensacola, Fla.: 65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
  • New Orleans, La.: 64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
  • West Palm Beach, Fla.: 63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days
  • Lafayette, La.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days
  • Baton Rouge, La.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
  • Miami, Fla.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days
  • Port Arthur, Texas: 61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days
  • Tallahassee, Fla.: 61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
  • Lake Charles, La.: 58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days
View attachment 78617

Dumb button.

Obviously 39 Million people can't get all the water they need from Gasquet :rolleyes:

Sigh. Another thread turned to childish prattle.
Certainly your post can be described as flaming, trolling, against the rules of the forum, I would state your post is an example of "childish prattle", but I I do not look at children disparagingly, I find most rather intelligent if the parents are decent parents, hence I do not use children to disparage others, or as a flame, or simply trolling.

Consider what your remark followed, information from NOAA, information from the state of California, and concise historical information relevant to the climate of California.

longknife, I see you do not appreciate facts, figures, and debate. But thank you for giving me the opportunity to show that my thread is not as you describe, despite your trolling.

I think Gasquet is the beginning of a very sound argument. It is completely ignored, not one person would guess or has stated that he wettest place in the USA is in California, why is that? It is simple, the California climate is being used for reasons of propaganda.

Further, I link to much more than Gasquet, which paints a very different picture. Gasquet is very sound, a great place to start, don't you think?

View attachment 79507

Gasquet (pronounced gasgee or gaskee) is a microclimate within a microclimate. Onshore clouds are raked for moisture as they hit the mountains. It's not representative of the wider issue.
The main factor has been a high pressure ridge off the California coast that shields storms from making landfall. Storms are funnelled northward and cross the continent thru NorCal, Oregon, WA, but mostly thru Canada.
This past winter the pressure ridge weakened and allowed some atmospheric rivers to pour into Central and Southern California. This year was normal, by historical record standards.

Dumb button.

Obviously 39 Million people can't get all the water they need from Gasquet :rolleyes:
Last I heard, not one person is thirsty in California, so obviously they are getting all the water they need. Yo are correct if you are simply stating that not all the water comes from Gasquet.

39 Million people, interesting, personally only account for 10% of water consumption, the rest goes to industry and agriculture. Seems the people of California are well quenched.

View attachment 79507

Gasquet (pronounced gasgee or gaskee) is a microclimate within a microclimate. Onshore clouds are raked for moisture as they hit the mountains. It's not representative of the wider issue.
The main factor has been a high pressure ridge off the California coast that shields storms from making landfall. Storms are funnelled northward and cross the continent thru NorCal, Oregon, WA, but mostly thru Canada.
This past winter the pressure ridge weakened and allowed some atmospheric rivers to pour into Central and Southern California. This year was normal, by historical record standards.
I understand what and where Gasquet is, I use it to make a very good point, water is politics and power, propaganda. I have listed much more than Gasquet in my thread, many areas well above average. Most stations reporting above average rainfall.

So, like I said, Gasquet is a very good place to begin a discussion on water and drought, especially considering the areas that are very wet in California are ignored.

The majority of Northern California- where I live- is dry for mody of the year. We get what rain we get between November and March.

The small region that does not fit that description is the far north coast- and by far North coast we are talking Eureka and the portion close to the Oregon border.

This year we were lucky enough to get about average rainfall- but that doesn't make up for the years of drought we have had- which is one of the reasons we have so many dead trees in Southern California.
Dead trees, is a nice debate, I have lived my entire adult life in California, 30 years, I am very familiar with the dead trees, and the debate to remove them, which we have lost, for the last 15 years. The problem is an infestation of beetles, and the mismanagement of the forest, not removing infected trees, it has been in the papers for years.

Dead trees, is a nice debate, I have lived my entire adult life in California, 30 years, I am very familiar with the dead trees, and the debate to remove them, which we have lost, for the last 15 years. The problem is an infestation of beetles, and the mismanagement of the forest, not removing infected trees, it has been in the papers for years.

You entire adult life? Wow.

I have lived in California over 50 years.
I am very familiar with California- having lived in both the North and South, backpacked in many regions, driven through most.

Dead trees used to be just about beetles and other infestations- sudden Oak death among them- but drought stresses trees that might otherwise survive and hence the massive die off in Southern Calfornia.

How anyone who is stupid enough to believe that there is no drought in California because a tiny footprint of a hamlet in the farthest northwestern portion of the State has lots of rain and has actually lived in California, I do not know.

California is mostly dry, most of the year- with the exception of a small stretch along the Coastal range close to the Oregon border.

View attachment 79507

I understand what and where Gasquet is, I use it to make a very good point, water is politics and power, propaganda. I have listed much more than Gasquet in my thread, many areas well above average. Most stations reporting above average rainfall.

So, like I said, Gasquet is a very good place to begin a discussion on water and drought, especially considering the areas that are very wet in California are ignored.

What other areas in California are 'very wet'?

Eureka?

Gasquet is an anomaly in California.

Forum List

Back