What are you listening to?

Sung by 11-year-old Brenda Evans who's either Libby's niece or granddaughter, not sure which.

Had the awesome privilege to see Libby Cotten while she was still with us. :thup:

She never got the recognition she deserved....My grandmother would play her records all day long after her soaps were over for the day...lol awesome old tunes...

She never got the recognition she deserved....My grandmother would play her records all day long after her soaps were over for the day...lol awesome old tunes...

I love the story too about how she taught herself to play by sneaking out her brother's instrument after he left the house. Her brother forbade her from touching it, she waited until the coast was clear and grabbed it.

You remember her brother's music right?

Me neither. :lol:

Anyone remember Hammerjacks from back in the 80s? They're opening a new one now, but guaranteed it won't be like back in the day.

Lol, I do. Saw Kix there too.

They were a regular down there. I didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about. Small world.

I know that a lot of folks tend to say they're generation was best, and that's fine, I can't asgue it, but I always say that if one wasn't at just the right age in that specific period in time in the mid to late 80s, they have absolutely no idea what they missed. None whatsoever. That was a great time to be alive.

Lol, I do. Saw Kix there too.

They were a regular down there. I didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about. Small world.

I know that a lot of folks tend to say they're generation was best, and that's fine, I can't asgue it, but I always say that if one wasn't at just the right age in that specific period in time in the mid to late 80s, they have absolutely no idea what they missed. None whatsoever. That was a great time to be alive.
I grew up in that region. I had a lot of fun..... probably too much. :smoke:

:RockOn: :rock:

Sandy Denny "The Quiet Land of Érin" a Home Demo recorded in November 1968, this is from the 19 CD "Sandy Denny" Box Set released in 2010 on Island Records. "The Quiet Land of Érin" is Track 24 on CD 12.

Pogo ogo you should purchase, I recommend. I have everything already on the box set, I only bought it because from the 19 CDs 2 CDs are of Home Demos and Unheard Songs and also the hard back book included is very excellent.

sandydennyboxset_5328695.jpg

sandy126.jpg

Ella Fitzgerald "Sunshine Of Your Love" from her live album of the same name released in 1969 on MPS Records. The song "Sunshine Of Your Love" is of course the Cream song and is on their second album "Disraeli Gears" released in 1967 on Reaction Records.

Dinah Washington "Baby Get Lost" released in 1949 on 10" 78 RPM on Mercury Records, the B Side is "Long John Blues"

Nick Drake "Strange Meeting II" recorded in 1968 at Far Leys, Tanworth-in-Arden, one of Nick Drake's Home Demos, first released in 1987 on the album of Outtakes and Home Demos "Time Of No Reply" on Hannibal Records.

Aretha not too good in health, hopefully she recovers.

Aretha Franklin "The Thrill Is Gone (From Yesterday's Kiss)" from Aretha Franklin's 19th album "Spirit In The Dark" released in 1970 on Atlantic Records.

Aretha Franklin "Drown In My Own Tears" from Aretha Franklin's 11th album "I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You" released in 1967 on Atlantic Records.

Well Aretha Franklin has been called Home to Our Lord's Beautiful Kingdom, Rest In Peace.

I have been thinking today what two songs would be the best appropriate to choose in this situation, so after a lot of thought I decide to choose the below songs.

Aretha Franklin "Precious Lord (Take My Hand) Part I and Part II" released in 1960 on 7" on Checker Records, "Precious Lord (Take My Hand) Part II is on the B Side. This is the same recording that appeared on Aretha Franklin's first album "Songs Of Faith" released in 1956 on J-V-B Records, the recording was made when she was 14 years in age at The New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit, Michigan which the Pastor since 1946 was The Rev. C. L. Franklin (father), like with all recordings in these American Black Churches the congregation are shouting at random, almost as if having out of body experience.

Aretha Franklin "Today I Sing The Blues" from the album "Aretha: With The Ray Bryant Combo" released in 1961 on Columbia Records.

I have in this thread already last year had an Aretha Franklin rant, that basically that everything from "Songs Of Faith" in 1956 until "Spirit In The Dark" in 1971 is FANTASTIC, ALL the Columbia albums and 98% of the Atlantic albums, but when she left Atlantic and made the TERRIBLE decision NOT to go back to Columbia as she could but instead went to one of the CRAPPEST record labels EVER created Arista EVERYTHING musically, creatively went downhill and she went Pop, so as with these things I in my mind IGNORE this as though she STOPPED recording after "Spirit In The Dark"

Ella Fitzgerald "Sunshine Of Your Love" from her live album of the same name released in 1969 on MPS Records. The song "Sunshine Of Your Love" is of course the Cream song and is on their second album "Disraeli Gears" released in 1967 on Reaction Records.

Dinah Washington "Baby Get Lost" released in 1949 on 10" 78 RPM on Mercury Records, the B Side is "Long John Blues"

Nick Drake "Strange Meeting II" recorded in 1968 at Far Leys, Tanworth-in-Arden, one of Nick Drake's Home Demos, first released in 1987 on the album of Outtakes and Home Demos "Time Of No Reply" on Hannibal Records.

Aretha Franklin "The Thrill Is Gone (From Yesterday's Kiss)" from Aretha Franklin's 19th album "Spirit In The Dark" released in 1970 on Atlantic Records.

Aretha Franklin "Drown In My Own Tears" from Aretha Franklin's 11th album "I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You" released in 1967 on Atlantic Records.

Well Aretha Franklin has been called Home to Our Lord's Beautiful Kingdom, Rest In Peace.

Aretha Franklin "Precious Lord (Take My Hand) Part I and Part II" released in 1960 on 7" on Checker Records, "Precious Lord (Take My Hand) Part II is on the B Side. This is the same recording that appeared on Aretha Franklin's first album "Songs Of Faith" released in 1956 on J-V-B Records, the recording was made when she was 14 years in age at The New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit, Michigan which the Pastor since 1946 was The Rev. C. L. Franklin (father), like with all recordings in these American Black Churches the congregation are shouting at random, almost as if having out of body experience.

:( Rest in Peace Aretha. Thank you for the Spirit. 1942-2018

"Out of body experience" is exactly right. There is so much re-membered from West Africa in the black church expression.

This is the shellac from 1959:

R-4186524-1358484641-9672.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
This is the 1956 record, her first one from age 14: "Never Grow Old" b/w "You Grow Closer"

Unfortunately the record used to post the YouTube is warped...

R-3051905-1346179260-6700.jpeg.jpg

I have been thinking today what two songs would be the best appropriate to choose in this situation, so after a lot of thought I decide to choose the below songs.

Aretha Franklin "Today I Sing The Blues" from the album "Aretha: With The Ray Bryant Combo" released in 1961 on Columbia Records.

I have in this thread already last year had an Aretha Franklin rant, that basically that everything from "Songs Of Faith" in 1956 until "Spirit In The Dark" in 1971 is FANTASTIC, ALL the Columbia albums and 98% of the Atlantic albums, but when she left Atlantic and made the TERRIBLE decision NOT to go back to Columbia as she could but instead went to one of the CRAPPEST record labels EVER created Arista EVERYTHING musically, creatively went downhill and she went Pop, so as with these things I in my mind IGNORE this as though she STOPPED recording after "Spirit In The Dark"

Let us have some Rev. C. L. Franklin also, GREAT HAPPENINGS on HIS records, some Sermons he sings, some Sermons he rants, of course the Ranting Sermons are the best, full of uplift and Hellfire all at the same time, again the Congregation very active and hyper, they are like his Backing Band, so many of his recordings to choose from but I have always thought that "Satan Goes To A Prayer Meeting" has EVERYTHING ANYONE would EVER need or want from a Rev. C. L. Franklin Sermon, it's EPIC and MEGA.

I THINK this was recorded in 1954 or 1955, it was recorded at The New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit, Michigan, for some reason it was never released until 1975, bizarro as the Rev. C. L. Franklin in the 1950s was recording records of Gospel Songs and Sermons for Chess Records so why they never released it not sure, perhaps as Satan is frequently mentioned they might have thought it too dangerous to release or whatever.

The Rev. C. L. Franklin "Satan Goes To A Prayer Meeting" from the album "Satan Goes To A Prayer Meeting" released in 1975 on Jewel Records. It features the album four tracks including two short songs "Father I Stretch My Hands To Thee" (Track I Side I) and "I Will Trust In The Lord" (Track II Side II) "Satan Goes To A Prayer Meeting Part I" (Track II Side I) and "Satan Goes To A Prayer Meeting Part II" (Track I Side II) the below is Part I and Part II together without pause.

Forum List

Back