What are you listening to?

A friend just sent me this --- Dutch Pagan Folk group Sowulo

GINNUNGAGAP

>> Ginnungagap is the bottomless abyss that was all there was prior to the creation of the cosmos, and into which the cosmos will collapse once again during Ragnarok, the “Twilight of the Gods.” As the Eddic poem Völuspá, “The Insight of the Seeress,” describes the time before the cosmos existed:

That was the age when nothing was;
There was no sand, nor sea, nor cool waves,
No earth nor sky nor grass there,
Only Ginnungagap.[1]

The Old Norse word gap means the same thing as it does in modern English: a void, an empty space. The meaning of the ginnung element, however, is far less certain. The best guess anyone has come up with so far is Jan de Vries’s suggestion of “magically-charged,”[2] a theory that has gained widespread acceptance.[3] This surely refers to the capacity for something that can serve as the basis for creation to come out of its nothingness.

Chaos and Cosmos
This perfect, uninterrupted silence and darkness has close counterparts in other mythologies from around the world. To cite but one example, most of my readers will no doubt be familiar with the famous words of the first chapter of Genesis, which describe the state of the universe prior to the intervention of Elohim in Judeo-Christian mythology: “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.” The opposition between the well-ordered, just, and beneficent cosmos on the one hand and the lawless chaos that surrounds it is perhaps one of the most common themes in religion and in human consciousness more generally.[4]

In the pre-Christian religion of the Norse and other Germanic peoples, this chaos-cosmos split is expressed as an opposition between the innangard, that which is orderly, civilized, and law-abiding, and the utangard, that which is wild and anarchic. Plowed fields are innangard, but beyond the fences that surround them and mark them off reigns the wilderness, the utangard home of the giants. These anti-cosmic forces are constantly trying to drag the Aesir gods, their work, and their ideals back to chaos (and at Ragnarok they will succeed). While the wilderness is utangard enough, the “capital” of chaos, as it were, is Ginnungagap; the abyss is the ultimate destination to which the giants want to bring the world. <<

Wings Greatest, a very fine CD of some of the best songs by McCartney and Wings from roughly 1970 to 1978. My only knock on it is that it inexplicably doesn't include "Listen To What The Man Said", a #1 hit from the summer of 1975. Paul supposedly chose the songs himself, maybe he never cared for that song. Who knows? I liked it when it was a hit, and still enjoy listening to it. I DO have it on the remastered version of his and Wings Venus and Mars CD, however.

Wings Greatest, a very fine CD of some of the best songs by McCartney and Wings from roughly 1970 to 1978. My only knock on it is that it inexplicably doesn't include "Listen To What The Man Said", a #1 hit from the summer of 1975. Paul supposedly chose the songs himself, maybe he never cared for that song. Who knows? I liked it when it was a hit, and still enjoy listening to it. I DO have it on the remastered version of his and Wings Venus and Mars CD, however.
On the plus side of the Wings Greatest CD, it DOES have the full, album versions of "Silly Love Songs" and "With A Little Luck", which were both cut considerably in length when they were released as singles.

McCartney First Solo Album 1970
1588119343972.png

His best work without the Beatles.....

Right now it's the Muddy Waters Chess Box Set, THE best of the recordings he did for Chess/Checker records from 1947-1972. Absolutely essential listening for any fan of blues music. The Box Set IS a bit pricey, it comes in a 3 CD or 6 LP format, but it's worth every dime.

Forum List

Back