What are you reading?

here is another great read......

1638328874491.png

I know....and the British Royal Family turned out to be scum.
I hate to break it to you lass, but they have always been such. There are a couple of good documentaries on Youtube about the entire family line of the first Kings and the line of Pendragon.

They are not nice people.

I hate to break it to you lass, but they have always been such. There are a couple of good documentaries on Youtube about the entire family line of the first Kings and the line of Pendragon.

Well... I was talking in the context of letting the Tsar and his family to be killed, instead of giving them refuge in Britain.

That was one of the most horrendous episodes in history.:(

Rumor has it that once upon a time the King was pissed at the Queen and loudly blurted out, "Fuck the Queen!", after which 1200 peasants were trampled to death in the resulting stampede.

Just finished ''TorchNumber'' by James Ellory. Fun reading had to decipher the street lingo of that era. Good story though.
Now starting reading '' Fade to Blond'' by Max Phillips. Both stories are known as pulp fiction and rough street lingo is used and may be offensive by some. But I like it. Good bedtime reading.

Will be finishing Hanif Kureishi's The Last Word tonight. It is--supposedly--loosely based on VS Naipaul and Patrick French's biography of Naipaul. It has something startling/wonderful in almost every page, though at least as far as I've looked, it doesn't have too many favorable reviews. Kureishi has thus far avoided the pressure to write respectable and politically correct works, so it's interesting to wonder what a new novel (should he write one) might be like. This one has been so good so far.

Also doing some basic, 101-level readings on logic (a really dry subject!). Currently, doing a small module on transductive reasoning.

John Grisham's "The Judge's List". It has an interesting subject, a sitting judge who is a serial killer. It's a reasonable good book but certainly not as good as his early books, "A "Time to Kill", "The Firm", "The Pelican Brief", "The Rainmaker", "The Runaway Jury".... Where his early books were page turners you couldn't put down, his recent books just don't measure up. Yet they are worth reading. They are just not the John Grisham books I loved to read.

I just finished The Oracle: the lost secrets and hidden message of ancient Delphi by William J. Broad. It's about the discovery that ethylene was what impacted the Oracle. I had no idea that Greece was so young in the grand scheme of things.

I'm reading The Complete Greek Tragedies I translated by Richmond Lattimore. Every time the chorus starts my brain gets a vision of 6 cardboard people in togas speaking in a monotonous tone. It's still not entertaining. I'm so done with Troy. I'm reading it but...blah.

I just finished The Oracle: the lost secrets and hidden message of ancient Delphi by William J. Broad. It's about the discovery that ethylene was what impacted the Oracle. I had no idea that Greece was so young in the grand scheme of things.

I'm reading The Complete Greek Tragedies I translated by Richmond Lattimore. Every time the chorus starts my brain gets a vision of 6 cardboard people in togas speaking in a monotonous tone. It's still not entertaining. I'm so done with Troy. I'm reading it but...blah.
I met Lattimore. He was wonderful. I like his Iliad a lot.

I am reading right now Bare Branches, which is about the sex selection against females common all over a lot of the world resulting in more masculinized, violent societies because it leaves all the "bare branches," young men who can't find wives and are attracted into armies and police and gangs of thieves and so on. What an eye-opener. It was pretty famous at the beginning of this century when I bought it --------- I'm only now starting to catch up.

And in the middle of Stephen King's new "If It Bleeds," one of his collections of short stories (usually these have at least one novella, and this one does). This collection seems so far to be very modern, in that the horrors involve modern tech --- cell phones, Internet, etc. I like it.

I'm working my way through A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Agora: Ancient Greek and Roman Humour by R. Drew Griffith and Robert B. Marks.

Four Hours in My Lai . I finished with it, it does have a lot of information but I cannot recommend it on its own. I suggest reading it along with watching some of the documentaries with real film footage of the incident.

Forum List

Back