What are your thoughts on the NRA?

I generally support the NRA, and I think the NRA does a lot of good work.

But, I don't quite follow their objection to background checks. The NRA used to support background checks. As long as the background checks do not take an unreasonable amount of time, I don't see how they violate the 2nd Amendment.

They oppose Universal Background checks because law enforcement officials say that to make that work, it would require registering all firearms and owners, because Universal Background checks between private individuals need a record of who had the gun to start with and who now owns it and then they can verify that a background check was done.....

The NRA and any 2nd Amendment supporter will fight against registration of guns and owners....the anti gunners will deny this intent...but law enforcement confirms it.....and besides that....it would cost a fortune in time, money and manpower, and it would be a waste of all of those things....criminals will never submit to background checks...only the law abiding will, and he law abiding gun owners aren't the ones shooting people 8-9,000 times a year....

that is wh Universal BAckground checks are opposed but the current background check system was supported by the NRA...

I thought background checks were done on the buyer, not on the weapon. I thought the purpose of background checks was to keep criminals and the mentally ill from buying guns. I admit that this is one issue I have not researched very much.

I don't get why background checks would require universal gun registration. IF that is the case, then I can understand the object to background checks. Do you have some links to verify that background checks would require universal gun registration?

Ok, I'll read the links. At first blush it sounds like Democrats are poisoning background-check bills with unnecessary gun registration provisions, but I'll need to read the links before commenting further.

This is an actual Bill that was passed....

Do Background Checks Prevent Gun Violence KUOW News and Information

But law enforcement officials said having a record of ownership for every firearm that changes hands in Washington will help them solve crimes.

And this exchange highlights why they want gun registration.......

A problem for many gun owners is that I-594 requires background checks whenever a gun changes hands, whether it’s sold, transferred or given away. Gun owners are worried they could be penalized if they loan a friend a gun to go hunting.

But prosecutor Satterberg said allowing transfers without background checks would give private sellers a way around the new rule. “The transfer language is in 594 so that it defeats an obvious defense that a seller would have that sold a gun for cash: 'You can’t prove that I got cash, that this was a sale, I gave it away,'” he said.

But they also knew who was in their militia and what weapons they possessed. They were well regulated and trained.......just like our founders expected

Gun registration is needed for our well regulated militias

Your history is way, way off. No citizen was required to report whether or not they owned a gun. IF a person wanted to sign up for the militia, they would naturally relate what weapons they owned, but this was voluntary. And you are using a definition of "militia" that is different from how the framers viewed militias.

The founders would not have supported gun registration laws in the form that Democrats have proposed them--not even close.

But they also knew who was in their militia and what weapons they possessed. They were well regulated and trained.......just like our founders expected

Your history is way, way off. No citizen was required to report whether or not they owned a gun. IF a person wanted to sign up for the militia, they would naturally relate what weapons they owned, but this was voluntary. And you are using a definition of "militia" that is different from how the framers viewed militias.

The founders would not have supported gun registration laws in the form that Democrats have proposed them--not even close.
Of course they would.....they put it in the Constitution

Of course they would.....they put it in the Constitution

I guess I could live with every American home having to have an AR-15 with ammo, plus full size service pistols with the accompanying ammo......and it might be fun to serve on the community artillery crew....with proper hearing protection.....or to be on the community tank crew.........or to be a pilot in the community fighter jet program.........

I like the way you think Rightwinger.......

NRA is playing you people like a cheap fiddle :boohoo::rofl:

You mean like the way that Jonathan Gruber said Obama was playing you Moon Bats?

I would dump the NRA if they did not deliver on the things that I care about. For instance, they delivered the other day by stopping this ATF foolishness with the M-855 ammo. They delivered by punishing the members of Congress that voted for the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. They delivered when they influenced the people of Tennessee and several other states not to vote for Al Gore. They are working hard now to get a national carry permit laws passed, which is a very good thing. The list of good things they do is very long.

Since I am a NRA Certified Firearms Instructor and a Certified Range Officer I greatly appreciate the work they do to promote firearms safety and responsibility.

If anyone is being duped it is you Moon Bats believing all the anti gun nut crap that the Liberals spew out all the time. How about believing in the Bill of Rights for a change?

ah...there...you just made it clear for me......one of the things the anti gunners really hate.......the firearm safety training that the NRA provides.....the anti gunners rely on gun accidents,to supply dead kids for propaganda use in their democrat controlled media opportunities...when the NRA teaches gun safety to adults, those adults teach it to kids, and fewer kids are killed in gun accidents...as national statistics show.....

and that is unacceptable to anti gun nuts......they desperately need more dead children at the hands of guns....and gun safety ruins that...

Don't believe me? think I am nuts? why do the anti gunners oppose firearm safety education in grade schools....where it would help prevent tragic gun accidents?
I'm pro-2nd amendment, anti-NRA shit stain. Stop yammering :blahblah:

Mike....here is an article that lists just some, not even close to all, of the mass shooters who passed background checks....

And keep in mind.... the gun murders each year 8-9,000, on average, are committed by criminals in gangs...and do you think they get background checks before they use their illegal guns to commit murder?

So who does the background check really effect.....those who submit to them.....law abiding, innocent, honest gun owners....not the criminals who the background check is supposed to stop.....but doesn't....

in this piece they list a bunch of mass shooters who got legal background checks...

Slate Not Fair to Say Gabby Giffords Attacker Passed Background Check - Breitbart

And the Breitbart News report showed that Loughner wasn’t an aberration. Rather, Jerad and Amanda Miller (Las Vegas), Elliot Rodger (Santa Barbara), Ivan Lopez (Fort Hood 2014), Darion Marcus Aguilar (Maryland mall), Karl Halverson Pierson (Araphoe High School), Paul Ciancia (LAX), Aaron Alexis (DC Navy Yard), James Holmes (Aurora theater), Nidal Hasan (Fort Hood 2009), and other gunmen, all passed background checks for the weapons they used as well.

I'm debating a life membership at the moment and was curious as to everyone's thoughts on the NRA. Any life members here? Anyone completely against the NRA but recommends another gun rights association?
They just came out with a flex payment method for membership and I'm debating it now because its affordable both short and long term.
What are your thoughts?

Although I'm not a "life member" of the NRA I've paid my membership dues routinely for at least 15 years. The NRA does a lot of good for freedom-loving, Constitutional-minded Americans but I wish they wouldn't compromise as often as they do. I'm a bigger fan of the GOA and my State group, the RMGO. Nevertheless, the NRA has a lot of clout so I support them and their tireless efforts.

NRA is playing you people like a cheap fiddle :boohoo::rofl:

You mean like the way that Jonathan Gruber said Obama was playing you Moon Bats?

I would dump the NRA if they did not deliver on the things that I care about. For instance, they delivered the other day by stopping this ATF foolishness with the M-855 ammo. They delivered by punishing the members of Congress that voted for the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. They delivered when they influenced the people of Tennessee and several other states not to vote for Al Gore. They are working hard now to get a national carry permit laws passed, which is a very good thing. The list of good things they do is very long.

Since I am a NRA Certified Firearms Instructor and a Certified Range Officer I greatly appreciate the work they do to promote firearms safety and responsibility.

If anyone is being duped it is you Moon Bats believing all the anti gun nut crap that the Liberals spew out all the time. How about believing in the Bill of Rights for a change?

ah...there...you just made it clear for me......one of the things the anti gunners really hate.......the firearm safety training that the NRA provides.....the anti gunners rely on gun accidents,to supply dead kids for propaganda use in their democrat controlled media opportunities...when the NRA teaches gun safety to adults, those adults teach it to kids, and fewer kids are killed in gun accidents...as national statistics show.....

and that is unacceptable to anti gun nuts......they desperately need more dead children at the hands of guns....and gun safety ruins that...

Don't believe me? think I am nuts? why do the anti gunners oppose firearm safety education in grade schools....where it would help prevent tragic gun accidents?
I'm pro-2nd amendment, anti-NRA shit stain. Stop yammering :blahblah:

Without the NRA you won't have a 2nd Amendment.....there is also the 2nd Amendment foundation...they win in court...and the Gun Owners of America.......

All good groups to support...

Not only is a background check absolutely useless to prevent somebody from getting a firearm for a crime but it goes against the basic concept of freedom.

First is that if the government requires that you prove you are innocent before purchasing a firearm then that is against the concept of innocent until proven guilty. Why should I have to prove to the government that I am not a criminal before enjoying my Constitutional rights?

Second is the basic premise that the background check constitutes getting permission from the government before gaining access to a right that is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. I don't think any of us would want the filthy ass government bureaucrats to be the gatekeeper of our individual rights. A government that can yes is also a government that can no. Our Founding Fathers said that these rights are endowed by our Creator and not subject to restriction by the government.

Background checks are not only absolutely useless but a tremendous attack on our freedom.

Not only is a background check absolutely useless to prevent somebody from getting a firearm for a crime but it goes against the basic concept of freedom.

First is that if the government requires that you prove you are innocent before purchasing a firearm then that is against the concept of innocent until proven guilty. Why should I have to prove to the government that I am not a criminal before enjoying my Constitutional rights?

Second is the basic premise that the background check constitutes getting permission from the government before gaining access to a right that is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. I don't think any of us would want the filthy ass government bureaucrats to be the gatekeeper of our individual rights. A government that can yes is also a government that can no. Our Founding Fathers said that these rights are endowed by our Creator and not subject to restriction by the government.

Background checks are not only absolutely useless but a tremendous attack on our freedom.

that is exactly right.........good post....

This is what the NRA knows and the left hides, it's how disarming the country eventually will work:

A violent act is committed with a gun.

More gun control is introduced, law abiding gun owners are the only ones affected by the law, so rights and liberties are eroded.

Another violent act is committed with a gun.

More gun control is introduced, law abiding gun owners are the only ones affected by the law, so rights and liberties are eroded.

This continues until one of two things happen; either guns are removed from the possession of Americans, or due to regulations, it is no longer practical for a private citizen to own a gun.

Anyone who doesn't understand this truth is either dangerously naive, or an idiot.

Just because they aren't knocking on your door today, doesn't mean gun confiscation isn't the end game.

Anybody who does fall for those conspiracy theories is stupid.

So which column do I put you in, naive or idiot?

BIGFOOT SIGHTING SOUTH OF TOWN!!!!!! Better hurry, you don't want to miss it.

Ah! Idiot it is then.

But, I don't quite follow their objection to background checks. The NRA used to support background checks. As long as the background checks do not take an unreasonable amount of time, I don't see how they violate the 2nd Amendment.

They oppose Universal Background checks because law enforcement officials say that to make that work, it would require registering all firearms and owners, because Universal Background checks between private individuals need a record of who had the gun to start with and who now owns it and then they can verify that a background check was done.....

The NRA and any 2nd Amendment supporter will fight against registration of guns and owners....the anti gunners will deny this intent...but law enforcement confirms it.....and besides that....it would cost a fortune in time, money and manpower, and it would be a waste of all of those things....criminals will never submit to background checks...only the law abiding will, and he law abiding gun owners aren't the ones shooting people 8-9,000 times a year....

that is wh Universal BAckground checks are opposed but the current background check system was supported by the NRA...

The second amendment supports gun registration

nope....you are wrong...........

No...he is LYING!

No...he is LYING!
We can't have well regulated militias without registration

Second amendment demands it

No...he is LYING!
We can't have well regulated militias without registration

Second amendment demands it

again....AR-15s in every home...right? That is what you want, right rightwinger....and a tank in every town, as well as artillery, and jet fighters....right? A well regulated militia...right?

What are your thoughts on the NRA?

we have gone from the NRA to Hitler, to Switzerland and some fool asking;
How many AR15s does it take to equal 1 Blackhawk Helicopter?

why don't liberfools stop their lying about everything related to guns, i thougt this was settled around this time frame,

April 19, 1775AD – September 3, 1783AD

Right wingers think a bunch of shit that just isn't true.

Well....one......And a bullet for each crew member when they are at the local bar.......so again.....if our government ever turned on our people, it would not be an easy thing if our people are armed....that is why you anti gun nuts are so short sighted.....you live today, fat and happy and safe behind our Constitutional Protections and he Bill Of Rights...but you want to take away the best safe guard to those rights....firearms in the hands of citizens.....

No you idiot. Our system of government is the best safe guard to our rights. Playing cowboys and Indians like you want to do is jut childish. Silly bravado doesn't work in real life like it does in the movies.

The Constitution and Bill of Rights only work when the government is forced to obey them.......moron.......all it takes is the will to kill by the government and your safeguards on paper mean nothing........that is why the First and Second Amendments are so important....and why the left hates them...
And you think our government wants to kill us. That's crazy.

Forum List

Back