What do you weigh in space ??

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
In depends
If you are floating between the Earth and the moon ,then your body weight is zero , because you’re free failing to earth . You won’t hit earth

It’s the same concept in a free falling elevator as you would weigh zero
You also have zero body weight if you are on the surface of water due to your mass and the density of water
However , if you have boosters in space , then you have weight

Just read up on mass vs. weight. On Earth, they are effectively the same.

Going from Earth to zero gravity, mass remains constant. and weight goes to zero.

Floating in water, you still have weight (the force applied toward the center of the Earth's mass), but it is balanced by the buoyancy.

Bottom line is that mass is constant, and weight varies proportionately to the strength of the gravitational field.

But since you are motivated, please work on the Universal Field Theory, and explain how gravity and all of the other fundamental forces and elementary particles are explained in one formulation. You will win a Nobel Prize.

We went through this a few months ago with you, Quasar44 ... I'm sorry, the laws of physics haven't changed since then ...

Weight is the force of gravity ... we experience gravity in all places and at all times in the known universe ... thus, we have weight always ...

In free fall ... you are accelerating and you have mass ... by Newton's Second Law of Motion ... Weight = mass times the acceleration due to gravity ...

Floating in water ... your weight is pulling you down ... your buoyancy is pushing you up ... two different things ... you are not "weightless" in any scientific sense of the word ...

Just read up on mass vs. weight. On Earth, they are effectively the same.

Going from Earth to zero gravity, mass remains constant. and weight goes to zero.

Floating in water, you still have weight (the force applied toward the center of the Earth's mass), but it is balanced by the buoyancy.

Bottom line is that mass is constant, and weight varies proportionately to the strength of the gravitational field.

But since you are motivated, please work on the Universal Field Theory, and explain how gravity and all of the other fundamental forces and elementary particles are explained in one formulation. You will win a Nobel Prize.
I am just a Physics 101 guy

Mass and weight is different
You have zero weight in any free fall or when on top of water due to buoyancy

All my posts come from real Astro physicist
I am only trying to enlighten you as I was

In depends
If you are floating between the Earth and the moon ,then your body weight is zero , because you’re free failing to earth . You won’t hit earth

You also have zero body weight if you are on the surface of water due to your mass and the density of water
Weight is a function of acceleration.

In depends

Y'all are hurting my brain with the falsehoods.

Think of an object in free fall which has achieved terminal velocity. There is no acceleration., but the object still has weight, otherwise it would not be falling.

In depends

Think of an object in free fall which has achieved terminal velocity. There is no acceleration., but the object still has weight, otherwise it would not be falling.
It has zero weight as it’s in free fall
The person is falling . The scale is falling . There would be zero pressure on the scale springs

If you had something accelerating you through space then you have weight

In depends

It has zero weight as it’s in free fall
The person is falling . The scale is falling . There would be zero pressure on the scale springs
When you hit terminal velocity the air resistance equals your body weight and you feel just as heavy as you do on the ground. Can you measure it with a traditional spring scale? No, because there's no place to put one.

It seems folks don't understand that two forces can be acting on an object at the same time ... weird, but true ... we have to aim our rocket a bit over our target, because as the rocket accelerates towards the target, it will also accelerate downwards due to gravity ... see how the two forces each cause the rocket to accelerate ... we do have the special case of two forces acting equally but in opposite directions, which appears to be zero force, but the forces don't disappear, both accelerations still exist ...

This isn't intuitive ... which is why we had to wait for Sir Issac Newton to discover this ...

Forum List

Back