What exactly IS God?

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I am constantly amazed here by the somewhat shallow and immature notions of God. I constantly see young wannabe atheists making snarky comments about "the invisible sky man" and such. I see people who have no inkling of an idea about the Bible, parsing out stories or scriptures to ridicule and reject because they've taken things completely out of context or fail to understand the usage of a metaphor in telling ancient stories.

I am not a Christian but I do respect the Bible as a great source of inspiration and valuable guidebook on how to live. I realize a lot of people feel differently, and I respect the fact that they have chosen to place their faith in what they believe to be the word of God. In many respects, the philosophies espoused by Jesus Christ are very much in line with my own beliefs in spirituality. I find nothing particularly contradictory with what Jesus taught.

I guess my real disagreement comes with the concept of sin. I've never understood how an omnipotent God would be concerned with what humans do. In my spiritual beliefs, what are often viewed by others as "sins" are sometimes actions which can disturb or disrupt positive spiritual nature. There is no repercussion from sin other than being detrimental to spiritual positiveness. If these disruptions and detriments continue for an extended period of time, they result in atrophy or despoliation of the human spirit. Across vast populations over time, this results in the collapse of civilization.

So what exactly IS God? Well, let us begin with what God certainly isn't. God is not an invisible person living on a cloud in the sky. God doesn't have a long white gown and beard or speak in a Charleton Heston voice. God isn't a "he" or "she" and has no human physical attributes. There is no proof that anyone has actually seen God, and this makes perfect sense because God is not required to have physical presence.

The best way I can define God is as an energy force. Now people will say, but an energy force can be confirmed by physics and science. Not necessarily true. 96% of our universe is made up of dark matter and dark energy, which completely baffle our concept of physics. Dark matter has gravity but occupies no space. This defies every conventional wisdom science has had about gravity and matter, as well as the laws and principles of physics. Dark energy is the most powerful energy in our universe. Even light can't escape it.

Now if we understand and comprehend how human vision works and that reflection of "light" is actually what we "see" in reality, then it isn't hard to understand, if there is an energy more powerful than light itself, then certainly things can exist that we don't see. And if dark matter defies the laws of physics as we know them, then it's entirely possible for things to exist that physics does not or cannot explain. I believe God falls into this category.

One of the more ludicrous arguments against God is the atheistic chortle, "who created God?" Well, who created gravity or electromagnetism? Who created dark matter and dark energy? Who created logic or reality? May as well be asking those questions. It seems that we accept all kinds of things that do exist without an explanation as to why. God explains why everything exists. This does not mean that we throw up our hands and say "god did it" but it also doesn't mean we shrug and say "just because" either. Science has been instrumental in showing humans how things work, but lost in the myopic nature of that is WHY things work. Why DO we have sets of uniform principles we can define as physics? Why DO certain atoms and protons behave in particular ways or certain elements react particular ways in compound? Why does gravity exist? Why does logic and reality exist?

Most attacks I see on God come from a vitriolic contention with religion. People are so angry at a religious teaching or philosophy, they have decided to not only abandon it, but wage all-out war on it in every conceivable way possible. This includes absolute mockery and ridicule to the point of being absurd. Religion is a creation of man. It is evidence of mankind's intrinsic and irrefutable spiritual connection. It is a way for human beings to try and comprehend something way beyond their ability to comprehend, and in doing so, they often create 'humanistic' incarnations of "God" to help them understand. This leads to a belief in a God who punishes, condemns, loves and hates, forgives and cares. It is possible for God to exist without any of those attributes or without conforming to any preconceived notion offered by man-made religious belief.

For all of human history, we have had an inseparable connection to spirituality. It is clearly from this profound ability to connect to something greater than self, man has achieved the level of technological advancement we see today. Even the most devout believers in evolution have to admit, humans have far surpassed all other living organisms on this planet. There is no natural rationale to explain this, other creatures are better hunters, have better vision, smell, taste, touch, hearing... have cognizance and reasoning abilities, have bigger brains and more cerebral cortex, supposedly had a bigger head start on humans. Why did nothing else living on this planet ever evolve to the extent of human beings? Easy... the one attribute we possess that no other creature has... Spirituality.

Thank you for your post. You share many interesting ideas, Boss. I am astounded at your final conclusion - Spirituality. I agree 100% I believe God is a Spirit. I cannot see Him. I know He is there. I know I was made in His image and that I have a spirit ( we all do ) and that also makes mankind unique from all other creation.

I don't see your dismissal of the Christian's personal God, "they often create 'humanistic' incarnations of "God" to help them understand. This leads to a belief in a God who punishes, condemns, loves and hates, forgives and cares" as that much different than an athiest "making snarky comments about "the invisible sky man". A little more sophisticated, a little more patronizing.

And you have exactly zero evidence to prove this outrageously anthrocentric assertion... "... the one attribute we possess that no other creature has... Spirituality".

P.S. I am an agnostic who has made "snarky comments" about all sorts of "God" formulations, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Roman, Egyptian, you name it.

hi Boss,

... leads to a belief in a God who punishes, condemns, loves and hates, forgives and cares. It is possible for God to exist without any of those attributes or without conforming to any preconceived notion offered by man-made religious belief.

there would be no God without an Everlasting, the latter may be correct (without any of those attributes) but without a degree of the former (jurisprudence) the Everlasting would be in chaos or if not, the Almighty would be irrelevant.

... the one attribute we possess that no other creature has... Spirituality.

whatever Lives, the Fauna and Flora of the Garden has a Spirit and is a physical representation of the Everlasting.

And you have exactly zero evidence to prove this outrageously anthrocentric assertion... "... the one attribute we possess that no other creature has... Spirituality".

Well, we can't really offer evidence that proves things of a spiritual nature. It doesn't appear that any other animals worship or have spiritual awareness. You could have a point, it's possible that all living things are aware of God and feel no obligation to worship.

I am merely making a clinical observation here, and I think it is profound evidence. We have billions of species of life on the planet, but only one species has emerged to accomplish amazing technological feats, like creating language, math and science or sending men to the moon. Nothing else living on this planet even comes remotely close to what humans have accomplished. At the same time, we have the presence of a unique human attribute that no other creature seems to exhibit, spiritual connection.

Now if we were studying fish or chimpanzees, and we found a specific species that had advanced far beyond other similar species, and they also possess a unique attribute, we'd have to conclude the unique attribute is probably the reason for the advancement. (see Occam's Razor)

I don't see your dismissal of the Christian's personal God, "they often create 'humanistic' incarnations of "God" to help them understand. This leads to a belief in a God who punishes, condemns, loves and hates, forgives and cares" as that much different than an athiest "making snarky comments about "the invisible sky man". A little more sophisticated, a little more patronizing.

I haven't dismissed anything, for all I know the Christians could be absolutely right about God. As I said, I just find it difficult to believe an omnipotent God has a need for humanistic attributes. If God didn't want you to do something, don't you think an omnipotent God could stop you from it?

Last edited:
hi Boss,

... leads to a belief in a God who punishes, condemns, loves and hates, forgives and cares. It is possible for God to exist without any of those attributes or without conforming to any preconceived notion offered by man-made religious belief.

there would be no God without an Everlasting, the latter may be correct (without any of those attributes) but without a degree of the former (jurisprudence) the Everlasting would be in chaos or if not, the Almighty would be irrelevant.

I assume you are talking about afterlife here? God can exist and be very relevant without an afterlife for humans. When we die, I believe our human body becomes worm food. We don't carry that with us to any afterlife. Our souls may be a different matter because our souls are spiritual. It's possible that our soul's existence here on earth is a single step in our spiritual process which will continue after we die.

... the one attribute we possess that no other creature has... Spirituality.

whatever Lives, the Fauna and Flora of the Garden has a Spirit and is a physical representation of the Everlasting.

Only humans seem to be spiritually connected through worshiping of something greater than self. This is not found elsewhere in the natural world. I recognize all life is from God, and I believe life itself is the strongest argument for God's existence. As I just pointed out, it may be a valid point that other living things are aware of God and just don't feel compelled to worship. Other living things may have spirits, they don't seem to be spiritually connected as humans are.

I am constantly amazed here by the somewhat shallow and immature notions of God. I constantly see young wannabe atheists making snarky comments about "the invisible sky man" and such. I see people who have no inkling of an idea about the Bible, parsing out stories or scriptures to ridicule and reject because they've taken things completely out of context or fail to understand the usage of a metaphor in telling ancient stories.

I am not a Christian but I do respect the Bible as a great source of inspiration and valuable guidebook on how to live. I realize a lot of people feel differently, and I respect the fact that they have chosen to place their faith in what they believe to be the word of God. In many respects, the philosophies espoused by Jesus Christ are very much in line with my own beliefs in spirituality. I find nothing particularly contradictory with what Jesus taught.

I guess my real disagreement comes with the concept of sin. I've never understood how an omnipotent God would be concerned with what humans do. In my spiritual beliefs, what are often viewed by others as "sins" are sometimes actions which can disturb or disrupt positive spiritual nature. There is no repercussion from sin other than being detrimental to spiritual positiveness. If these disruptions and detriments continue for an extended period of time, they result in atrophy or despoliation of the human spirit. Across vast populations over time, this results in the collapse of civilization.

So what exactly IS God? Well, let us begin with what God certainly isn't. God is not an invisible person living on a cloud in the sky. God doesn't have a long white gown and beard or speak in a Charleton Heston voice. God isn't a "he" or "she" and has no human physical attributes. There is no proof that anyone has actually seen God, and this makes perfect sense because God is not required to have physical presence.

The best way I can define God is as an energy force. Now people will say, but an energy force can be confirmed by physics and science. Not necessarily true. 96% of our universe is made up of dark matter and dark energy, which completely baffle our concept of physics. Dark matter has gravity but occupies no space. This defies every conventional wisdom science has had about gravity and matter, as well as the laws and principles of physics. Dark energy is the most powerful energy in our universe. Even light can't escape it.

Now if we understand and comprehend how human vision works and that reflection of "light" is actually what we "see" in reality, then it isn't hard to understand, if there is an energy more powerful than light itself, then certainly things can exist that we don't see. And if dark matter defies the laws of physics as we know them, then it's entirely possible for things to exist that physics does not or cannot explain. I believe God falls into this category.

One of the more ludicrous arguments against God is the atheistic chortle, "who created God?" Well, who created gravity or electromagnetism? Who created dark matter and dark energy? Who created logic or reality? May as well be asking those questions. It seems that we accept all kinds of things that do exist without an explanation as to why. God explains why everything exists. This does not mean that we throw up our hands and say "god did it" but it also doesn't mean we shrug and say "just because" either. Science has been instrumental in showing humans how things work, but lost in the myopic nature of that is WHY things work. Why DO we have sets of uniform principles we can define as physics? Why DO certain atoms and protons behave in particular ways or certain elements react particular ways in compound? Why does gravity exist? Why does logic and reality exist?

Most attacks I see on God come from a vitriolic contention with religion. People are so angry at a religious teaching or philosophy, they have decided to not only abandon it, but wage all-out war on it in every conceivable way possible. This includes absolute mockery and ridicule to the point of being absurd. Religion is a creation of man. It is evidence of mankind's intrinsic and irrefutable spiritual connection. It is a way for human beings to try and comprehend something way beyond their ability to comprehend, and in doing so, they often create 'humanistic' incarnations of "God" to help them understand. This leads to a belief in a God who punishes, condemns, loves and hates, forgives and cares. It is possible for God to exist without any of those attributes or without conforming to any preconceived notion offered by man-made religious belief.

For all of human history, we have had an inseparable connection to spirituality. It is clearly from this profound ability to connect to something greater than self, man has achieved the level of technological advancement we see today. Even the most devout believers in evolution have to admit, humans have far surpassed all other living organisms on this planet. There is no natural rationale to explain this, other creatures are better hunters, have better vision, smell, taste, touch, hearing... have cognizance and reasoning abilities, have bigger brains and more cerebral cortex, supposedly had a bigger head start on humans. Why did nothing else living on this planet ever evolve to the extent of human beings? Easy... the one attribute we possess that no other creature has... Spirituality.

We possess many things that no other life form(that we know of) has. What you are leaving out is that what we have is an intellect that is a work in progress. We have the ability to learn. We have an ability to leap frog with our thoughts to places that those before us could or would not.

As for athiests so called attacks on religion ... That is a sophomoric way of looking at it. Think of it as an enevitable revolution. A mental civil war if you will. We should not need a spiritual crutch. We are totally capable of seeing beauty and purpose for it's own sake without paying some dues for the privilage. We are not Liliputians or characters in some cartoon fable. We are a work in progress no doubt but that light in our dreams is not a train coming at us but knowledge and understanding.

Sin is simply the boundary defining human behaviour and why we're human beings instead of 'highly developed primates.' We differ because we have the concept of sin/law. Without it we'd be even more animalistic and chaotic than we are with such limits. Just as children need and flourish under strict discipline, so do adults. Living without rules would have us exist in a state where we don't know where the lines are drawn and that uncertainty is far worse psychologically than having even overly strict limits.

Without fear of punishment, there can be no law or order. G-d may be as far above Man evolutionarily as we are single-celled organisms, but because we do better with limitations on our behaviour, I see it as more, not less consistent such a being would give us laws to live by.

I have two working hypthesis for what G-d is. The simplest if not most likely is that an alien species interacted with us long ago and were mistaken by us as gods. Though for all intents and purposes, they were.

The other notion is what we call G-d is simply the psychic manifestation of all living minds effecting reality on the quantum level. A sort of 'group think' or biological networked computer. Ever so often, like thoughts 'line up' and manifest some physical reality that can't be explained with known science and is called miraculous or divine. In reality, it's simply large-scale quantum interactions.

The universe is overwhelmingly lifeless. Yet life exists. But where lifeless stops and life begins is similar to how all living organisms are made up of living matter yet on individual scales, a single cell though 'alive' isn't also sentient. Yet taken as a whole unit, all those individual cells are sentient. So maybe stars and planets other 'singular units' are simply like cells within an organism. On the small scale not alive, but on the whole they are. And the universe as a single whole unit is what we call G-d. Beause of our limited perspective though we perceive only our immediate surroundings and mistake that for 'reality' just as a single blood cell would if it could think. A single red blood cell flowing through a vein would 'think' that's the whole world and it's a singular being unable to appreciate how it's in fact part of a greater whole.

We possess many things that no other life form(that we know of) has. What you are leaving out is that what we have is an intellect that is a work in progress. We have the ability to learn. We have an ability to leap frog with our thoughts to places that those before us could or would not.

As for athiests so called attacks on religion ... That is a sophomoric way of looking at it. Think of it as an enevitable revolution. A mental civil war if you will. We should not need a spiritual crutch. We are totally capable of seeing beauty and purpose for it's own sake without paying some dues for the privilage. We are not Liliputians or characters in some cartoon fable. We are a work in progress no doubt but that light in our dreams is not a train coming at us but knowledge and understanding.

We do not possess many things that no other life form has, which didn't directly come as a result of our spirituality. We do have the ability to learn... so do dogs and monkeys. We train them all the time. Cognizance? Many animals have that as well. Imagination? Did you ever see the elephant who paints? There is not a thing we have that is unique to humans, except for our spirituality. The driving force behind human endeavor is inspiration. The word inspire literally denotes spirituality.

I respect your view that spirituality is a crutch, I just completely disagree. It's more like a cosmic motorcycle than a crutch. It has helped us crawl down from the trees in the jungle and explore the universe. Without it, human civilization would not and cannot exist. The evidence for this is human history. Find any civilization in the history of humans which has existed for any extensive period without spirituality. None exist. To a fault, every civilization which has attempted to survive without spirituality has eventually failed.

We do not possess many things that no other life form has, which didn't directly come as a result of our spirituality. We do have the ability to learn... so do dogs and monkeys. We train them all the time. Cognizance? Many animals have that as well. Imagination? Did you ever see the elephant who paints? There is not a thing we have that is unique to humans, except for our spirituality. The driving force behind human endeavor is inspiration. The word inspire literally denotes spirituality.

I respect your view that spirituality is a crutch, I just completely disagree. It's more like a cosmic motorcycle than a crutch. It has helped us crawl down from the trees in the jungle and explore the universe. Without it, human civilization would not and cannot exist. The evidence for this is human history. Find any civilization in the history of humans which has existed for any extensive period without spirituality. None exist. To a fault, every civilization which has attempted to survive without spirituality has eventually failed.

What I see from your words is someone that believes he NEEDS spirituality and dances around all argument against it.

Monkeys and elephants do not "learn" anything at all like humans do. Go out in the wild and show me an elephant painting on a wall or a big rock with materials it has gathered for that purpose and maybe you might have a point.

History is nothing if it is not failure. Take the search for a cure to any disease. Failure..failure..failure... then a breakthrough. If we just had the sense to just imagine the breakthrough. The way you talk it seems you want to hold up the failure as glorious and responsible for the breakthrough. It is not. Failure is just wasted time.

Sin is simply the boundary defining human behaviour and why we're human beings instead of 'highly developed primates.' We differ because we have the concept of sin/law. Without it we'd be even more animalistic and chaotic than we are with such limits. Just as children need and flourish under strict discipline, so do adults. Living without rules would have us exist in a state where we don't know where the lines are drawn and that uncertainty is far worse psychologically than having even overly strict limits.

Without fear of punishment, there can be no law or order. G-d may be as far above Man evolutionarily as we are single-celled organisms, but because we do better with limitations on our behaviour, I see it as more, not less consistent such a being would give us laws to live by.

I have two working hypthesis for what G-d is. The simplest if not most likely is that an alien species interacted with us long ago and were mistaken by us as gods. Though for all intents and purposes, they were.

The other notion is what we call G-d is simply the psychic manifestation of all living minds effecting reality on the quantum level. A sort of 'group think' or biological networked computer. Ever so often, like thoughts 'line up' and manifest some physical reality that can't be explained with known science and is called miraculous or divine. In reality, it's simply large-scale quantum interactions.

The universe is overwhelmingly lifeless. Yet life exists. But where lifeless stops and life begins is similar to how all living organisms are made up of living matter yet on individual scales, a single cell though 'alive' isn't also sentient. Yet taken as a whole unit, all those individual cells are sentient. So maybe stars and planets other 'singular units' are simply like cells within an organism. On the small scale not alive, but on the whole they are. And the universe as a single whole unit is what we call G-d. Beause of our limited perspective though we perceive only our immediate surroundings and mistake that for 'reality' just as a single blood cell would if it could think. A single red blood cell flowing through a vein would 'think' that's the whole world and it's a singular being unable to appreciate how it's in fact part of a greater whole.

You have some interesting thoughts. It appears you might be trying to explain God without defining it as God. (why do people type "G-d"?) I've often said, if modern science were to somehow discover the secret to spiritual nature and find the physical evidence to support God, the cries would be: "See, we told you there was no such thing as God!"

I am not as sure as you that our universe is overwhelmingly lifeless. I am also unsure if ours is the only universe or our conscious reality the only dimension. I listened to a theoretical physicist explain how dark matter and dark energy might be explained by imagining another plane of existence and reality hovering just above our own. We can detect gravity of this other 'universe' but have no other physical indicators. This is where theories of 'wormholes' and similar phenomenon come from.

I don't profess to know the answers here, I believe there is far more we don't know and understand about the universe than we do understand. What I do know is humans are intrinsically tied to a spiritual faith that no other creatures seem to have.

Gods are persistent patterns of information. They're born of networks of human minds, who host them as distributed entities.

What I see from your words is someone that believes he NEEDS spirituality and dances around all argument against it.

Monkeys and elephants do not "learn" anything at all like humans do. Go out in the wild and show me an elephant painting on a wall or a big rock with materials it has gathered for that purpose and maybe you might have a point.

History is nothing if it is not failure. Take the search for a cure to any disease. Failure..failure..failure... then a breakthrough. If we just had the sense to just imagine the breakthrough. The way you talk it seems you want to hold up the failure as glorious and responsible for the breakthrough. It is not. Failure is just wasted time.

I've not danced around a thing. Find me evidence of a long standing human civilization which has existed devoid of any spirituality. You can't because there isn't one.

show me an elephant painting on a wall or a big rock with materials it has gathered for that purpose and maybe you might have a point.

They lack a thing called "inspiration" because they aren't spiritually connected like humans. My point was that elephants possess creative imagination the same as humans. If there are any other attributes you'd like to suggest, I can find other creatures who possess them as well. What they all lack is spirituality.

It is through our spiritual connection that we become inspired and through our inspirations, achieve amazing feats, overcome failure, defy overwhelming odds, etc. Other animals lack this same spiritual awareness and thus, lack inspiration.

I'm a big fan of Carlos Casteneda and Shaman Don Juan said that they categorize the Universe as follows: The Known (that which we can readily discern), the Unknown (that which we have the sensory capability to discern, but haven't yet experienced) and the Unknowable.

Their position is that the overwhelming majority of the Universe lies in the Unknowable, mankind lacks anyway of relating to it at all, but it's out there.

God is in all three places

Every civilization except the current ones have failed, spirituality or no. I would think that far more civilizations have come and gone with some sort of spirituality than those without.

Humans have a complex language which, as far as I know at least, no other animal has. We also have written language, again a unique human thing.

Gods are persistent patterns of information. They're born of networks of human minds, who host them as distributed entities.
Are you saying gods are born of the collective human conscious/image(ination)...a concept of the collective mind...containing persistent patterns of information that take on a life of their own via memes. If so, I agree. :) lol

1. Different people and different religions focus on different ASPECTS or manifestations of God, or "names" of God:

God as Life
God as Love
God as Wisdom
God as Truth
God as supreme good will
God as Creation or all things in the Universe
God as Nature
God as universal laws (including either religious, science, spiritual or natural laws)
etc.

2. We can also define God to be the
SOURCE of all these things or the
UNION of all these things

3. any of these things can become "personified"
such as personifying God as Creator as a Father in Heaven
or God as Nature as Mother Earth

those representations are important for communicating to each audience who relates to the world that way; but those are RELATIVE

what is universal are the concepts behind the symbols that apply to all humanity

Forum List

Back