What If We Actually Had Poor People In This Country?

I'm going to be honest here and I want all you democrats to respond. I'm 70 years old and my Social Security is $1154 a month. That's a bit over $13,000 a year. Do I live at the poverty level?

I'm going to be honest here and I want all you democrats to respond. I'm 70 years old and my Social Security is $1154 a month. That's a bit over $13,000 a year. Do I live at the poverty level?

Now...just one gol-darn minute here: be honest.....aren't you the goose that laid golden eggs????

....gold is $1273 an egg....er, ounce.

there is neither racism nor poverty in this country!

Sorry, no. There is a lot of racism AND poverty in this country. The racism is fairly obvious, it is touted most by the very people who protest it loudest. But the poverty is harder, because unlike other countries, it takes a fair amount of money to live in the USA. Depending where you live, a person making $20,000 a year is almost poor. Much less than that and you are heading into poverty. They may have basic things like a TV or an apartment, but don't kid yourself for 5 seconds that you'd ever want to live in their shoes. The system is actually aimed at letting them fall out and fail rather than rehabilitate. Their best defense: crime and/or gaming the system by having kids so they can collect welfare. Then you find the truly poor: the children of welfare queens.

1. There is no poverty, no need for you to fork over a third or more of your income to the bosses.
Not the sham perpetuated by the Left to manipulate the soft-hearted/soft-headed to vote Democrat. I mean actual poverty.

Here’s the real definition, not one that is based on some folks having a slightly smaller house than you, or only a 50inch TV….

No Home, No Heat, No Food…..real poverty. If there is such a category in America, it is no more than a rounding error.

"Depending where you live, a person making $20,000 a year is almost poor."

Move.

Sorry, no. Your definition of "poverty" is THE DEAD. Without some shelter, some heat or protection from the elements and some kind of food and water, YOU DIE.

Poverty in California:

View attachment 236928

Poverty in New York City:

View attachment 236929

Poverty down South:

View attachment 236930

View attachment 236931

Just because they don't look like THIS, starving,

View attachment 236932

doesn't mean no poverty. Poverty is living, but with no dignity, quality of life or hope. If you think having a tent to live in on a public street, rags for clothes, or being under a bridge and getting crappy handouts at some food at a shelter disqualifies your from poverty, then I truly hope you end up there to find out first hand what poverty is.
Many of those people CHOOSE to live like that. I've worked with street people and inner city missions. There are many that are anti-social and simply want to live on the street. I'm not saying everyone, but many. When someone is living on the street for over a year, that's their choice.

If you're not saying everyone, then you are admitting there are poor (impoverished) in America. Those others you say "want" to live on the street? You are describing people with serious mental health issues. They don't get the treatment they need, and however they end up on the street homeless, booze, drugs, mental issues (these could all be part of the same thing), they are still poor and homeless.

The poor are real. Just because they mostly have more than say, a poor person in Ethiopia means nothing. THIS ISN'T ETHIOPIA. Just because our living standard (and cost of living) are higher here than Africa only means you can have more here and still be poor. Anyone who claims there is zero poverty in America is an idiot who needs to get out more and see the real world.

You can be sorry all you like, but the welfare system is a scam. There is no real poverty in this nation.

I can see why the left hate many on the right. You're an idiot. You don't need to be starving to be in poverty. You don't need to be starving even to just be hungry! You can eat and still be hungry. Try living for a month on American cheese and white bread. I bet you're real hungry. Then you start getting sick from malnutrition. Then comes the hopelessness and depression.

Why don't you go volunteer at a soup kitchen in the city, talk to the other volunteers and wise up. Your definition of a person in poverty is a person a few days from death.

Now...just one gol-darn minute here: be honest.....aren't you the goose that laid golden eggs????

....gold is $1273 an egg....er, ounce.
Oh, I forgot to say I pay $136 a month out of that for my medicare supplemental and I receive no food stamps. Ask me how I do it.

Sorry, no. There is a lot of racism AND poverty in this country. The racism is fairly obvious, it is touted most by the very people who protest it loudest. But the poverty is harder, because unlike other countries, it takes a fair amount of money to live in the USA. Depending where you live, a person making $20,000 a year is almost poor. Much less than that and you are heading into poverty. They may have basic things like a TV or an apartment, but don't kid yourself for 5 seconds that you'd ever want to live in their shoes. The system is actually aimed at letting them fall out and fail rather than rehabilitate. Their best defense: crime and/or gaming the system by having kids so they can collect welfare. Then you find the truly poor: the children of welfare queens.

1. There is no poverty, no need for you to fork over a third or more of your income to the bosses.
Not the sham perpetuated by the Left to manipulate the soft-hearted/soft-headed to vote Democrat. I mean actual poverty.

Here’s the real definition, not one that is based on some folks having a slightly smaller house than you, or only a 50inch TV….

No Home, No Heat, No Food…..real poverty. If there is such a category in America, it is no more than a rounding error.

Move.

Sorry, no. Your definition of "poverty" is THE DEAD. Without some shelter, some heat or protection from the elements and some kind of food and water, YOU DIE.

Poverty in California:

View attachment 236928

View attachment 236929

Poverty down South:

View attachment 236930

View attachment 236931

View attachment 236932

doesn't mean no poverty. Poverty is living, but with no dignity, quality of life or hope. If you think having a tent to live in on a public street, rags for clothes, or being under a bridge and getting crappy handouts at some food at a shelter disqualifies your from poverty, then I truly hope you end up there to find out first hand what poverty is.
Many of those people CHOOSE to live like that. I've worked with street people and inner city missions. There are many that are anti-social and simply want to live on the street. I'm not saying everyone, but many. When someone is living on the street for over a year, that's their choice.

If you're not saying everyone, then you are admitting there are poor (impoverished) in America. Those others you say "want" to live on the street? You are describing people with serious mental health issues. They don't get the treatment they need, and however they end up on the street homeless, booze, drugs, mental issues (these could all be part of the same thing), they are still poor and homeless.

The poor are real. Just because they mostly have more than say, a poor person in Ethiopia means nothing. THIS ISN'T ETHIOPIA. Just because our living standard (and cost of living) are higher here than Africa only means you can have more here and still be poor. Anyone who claims there is zero poverty in America is an idiot who needs to get out more and see the real world.
Of course there are poor in America and people with health issues. Take me. I'm 70, heart patient and cancer survivor, I have one kidney, no spleen. I'm blessed and get along very well. Ask me how I do it.

You can be sorry all you like, but the welfare system is a scam. There is no real poverty in this nation.

I can see why the left hate many on the right. You're an idiot. You don't need to be starving to be in poverty. You don't need to be starving even to just be hungry! You can eat and still be hungry. Try living for a month on American cheese and white bread. I bet you're real hungry. Then you start getting sick from malnutrition. Then comes the hopelessness and depression.

Why don't you go volunteer at a soup kitchen in the city, talk to the other volunteers and wise up. Your definition of a person in poverty is a person a few days from death.
I worked in an inner city mission for five years. Volunteered for two years without pay. My top salary was $250 a month plus room and food. What do you want to know?

Democrats need poverty so they encourage it and nurture it. The more victims there are, the more need there is for democrats to keep programs for the poor and increase funding. The more poverty there is, the more need for democrats. The numbers are inflated. It never goes down.

Move.

Poverty in California:

View attachment 236928

View attachment 236929

Poverty down South:

View attachment 236930

View attachment 236931

View attachment 236932

I've given you the correct definition of 'poor.'

The bogus one is a constantly increasing number, just to maintain the government plantation.

Over a third of the 'poor' have an answering machine....must be so they can get those political calls at voting time.

There's no poverty, you dunce.

It's a vote-buying scheme.

Why do you suppose the rate of poverty, they claim, is nearly the same as it was when the 'War On Poverty" began....$22 trillion ago.

"Your definition of a person in poverty is a person a few days from death."

You're lying.

I stated succinctly what poverty is.

You've drunk too much of the Kool-Aid.

"A Poverty Pulse poll taken by the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, for example, asked: "How would you describe being poor in the U.S.?" The vast majority of responses focused on homelessness, hunger or inability to eat properly, and failure to meet basic needs.

The dominant news media amplifies this link in the public mind between poverty and severe deprivation. Most stories on poverty feature homeless families, or folks living in crumbling shacks, or lines of the downtrodden waiting to eat in soup kitchens.

Fortunately, such images have little or nothing to do with the actual living conditions of most of the more than 40 million Americans defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau."
http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-07-27/news/29836665_1_poor-poverty-american-soldiers

I've given you the correct definition of 'poor.' There's no poverty, you dunce.

The definition of being poor is going without unable to afford the things you need. Living in squalor. There is only a semantical difference between being poor and in poverty.

Poverty is all around us. If you really think all the poor are that way because of a vote-buying gimmick by the Left, I can't help you. We are surrounded by the poor and poverty. Sometimes poverty is of the spirit. IE, the miserly. Some of the poorest people I know are rich, but have no room, no sympathy, no compassion for the less fortunate.

Like you. It takes a truly hollow, empty, destitute person of spirit to argue against the poor the day after Christmas. I pity you.

The definition of being poor is going without unable to afford the things you need. Living in squalor. There is only a semantical difference between being poor and in poverty.

Poverty is all around us. If you really think all the poor are that way because of a vote-buying gimmick by the Left, I can't help you. We are surrounded by the poor and poverty. Sometimes poverty is of the spirit. IE, the miserly. Some of the poorest people I know are rich, but have no room, no sympathy, no compassion for the less fortunate.

Like you. It takes a truly hollow, empty, destitute person of spirit to argue against the poor the day after Christmas. I pity you.
Puts me in mind of Scrooge, speaking of the poor:
  • "At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    "Are there no prisons?"
    "Plenty of prisons..."
    "And the Union workhouses." demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"
    "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    "If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

"... the things you need."

Wow....have you bought it, hook line and sinker.

rs_2086.jpg

• "At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    "Are there no prisons?"
    "Plenty of prisons..."
    "Both very busy, sir..."
    "If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

That was fiction.....this is truth:

51dYqwKanIL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1. For a real-world perspective on the American ethic, find the Alan Shepard book, “Scratch Beginnings, in which the author recounts his own social experiment, at age 24, starting out at the lowest rung of the economic ladder. The question: could he conquer poverty in one year at his best efforts?
  2. He left his home with nothing but a tarp, sleeping bag, an empty gym bag, the clothes on his back, and $25. The went to Charleston, South Carolina…a city where he had never been before, and where he knew nobody. He didn’t use his college education as a resume, nor any family or other contacts.
  3. The first night he finds the Crisis Ministries homeless shelter, and, next morning, begins working odd jobs. Within a few weeks, he gets a regular job with a moving company. He moonlights on weekends to make extra money.
  4. He makes friends and contacts, and these help him to find jobs and housing…Within five months, he gets a raise from the moving company to $10/ hour. And another, to $11/hour in less than nine months.
  5. Progress was retarded by breaking his foot on the job, yet by three months he was able to move out of the homeless shelter and rent a room in a large house in an upscale part of town. (It was owned by a friend he met while working a second job on weekends.) Then, just a month later, he moved into a two-bedroom duplex with the cousin of one of his co-workers. It was a bit rundown, so the two of them spent a week-end making it like new. (His share was $325 because he took the master bedroom.)
  6. After just ten months he was living in his own furnished apartment, with his own car, and he had $5,300 in savings.

"Are there no prisons?"
    "Plenty of prisons..."
    "Both very busy, sir..."

Yep. And the lesson of the story was that Scrooge was f----ed up and in the end he finally found the true meaning of life and joined the human race. Humanity is a chain and we are only as strong as our weakest link. When one suffers, we all suffer. The way many are treated says more about us than perhaps anything else. Mind you, I'm no bleeding heart, no welfare state, and this country probably gives out more charity than anywhere, but I've never understood this resentment of the poor and truly needy. Mind you, there are many who milk and abuse the system, but there are many who truly need help.

And seldom get the help they need.

Only an idiot believes that all poor and needy are lazy and stupid or WANT to live that way, much less it all just being a game to buy votes.

...thank Goodness us poor guys don't have to put up with women harassing us for sex and proclaiming, I don't see a ring on Your finger. You need to get your individualism fornicated out of you. Good helpmeets do.

"Are there no prisons?"
    "Plenty of prisons..."
    "Both very busy, sir..."

Yep. And the lesson of the story was that Scrooge was f----ed up and in the end he finally found the true meaning of life and joined the human race. Humanity is a chain and we are only as strong as our weakest link. When one suffers, we all suffer. The way many are treated says more about us than perhaps anything else. Mind you, I'm no bleeding heart, no welfare state, and this country probably gives out more charity than anywhere, but I've never understood this resentment of the poor and truly needy. Mind you, there are many who milk and abuse the system, but there are many who truly need help.

And seldom get the help they need.

Only an idiot believes that all poor and needy are lazy and stupid or WANT to live that way, much less it all just being a game to buy votes.

A pity you've never learned this truth in your life:
“Earned success is the secret to meaningful happiness. The government can improve your net worth with a check, but it cannot improve your self-worth.”
Jonah Goldberg

Forum List

Back