What is a "nothing burger?"

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
I've of late several times seen and heard the oxymoronic term "nothing burger." What is that supposed to mean? In much the same way that the lesser of two evils is still evil, is not a "nothing burger" still a burger?

I mean really. How does something at once be nothing and something, a burger? Who comes up with inane terms like "nothing burger?" Moreover, who willfully propagates them?

2 slices of bread, no meat.

200.gif

I've of late several times seen and heard the oxymoronic term "nothing burger." What is that supposed to mean? In much the same way that the lesser of two evils is still evil, is not a "nothing burger" still a burger?

I mean really. How does something at once be nothing and something, a burger? Who comes up with inane terms like "nothing burger?" Moreover, who willfully propagates them?
The lies you and the media post daily. That's what it is. Now follow the lib roe and ask me something....

Sounds like a vegie burger to me !!

A vegie burger has nothing in it except plant crap.

About
Nothing Burger is a slang term meaning something or someone that has no inherent value or substance. First used in Hollywood gossip magazines since as early as the 1950s, the term has evolved to describe highly publicized non-events, particularly stories of political intrigue without proof or consequence.

Origin
The earliest known usage of “nothing burger” comes from Hollywood gossip columnist Louella Parsons in reference to actor Farley Granger’s release from Sam Goldwyn’s studio MGM.[4] In her June 1st, 1953 article “Louella’s Move-Go’Round,” she wrote, “After all, if it hadn’t been for Sam Goldwyn Farley might very well be a nothingburger.”[1]
Nothing Burger | Know Your Meme

Pet peeve of yours?

About
Nothing Burger is a slang term meaning something or someone that has no inherent value or substance. First used in Hollywood gossip magazines since as early as the 1950s, the term has evolved to describe highly publicized non-events, particularly stories of political intrigue without proof or consequence.

Origin
The earliest known usage of “nothing burger” comes from Hollywood gossip columnist Louella Parsons in reference to actor Farley Granger’s release from Sam Goldwyn’s studio MGM.[4] In her June 1st, 1953 article “Louella’s Move-Go’Round,” she wrote, “After all, if it hadn’t been for Sam Goldwyn Farley might very well be a nothingburger.”[1]

Pet peeve of yours?

TY.

Pet peeve of yours?

I definitely have a pet peeve pertaining to one's using slang in serious, rather than jocular, discourse/prose or in discussion with others to whom one is a stranger.

200.gif

200.gif
Mondale used this in his debate and it was fantastic !!!

Where's The Beef ?!

"Where's the beef?" was a pithy saying that did not confound comprehension. The hyperbole in Wendy's "Where's the bee?" ad was also palpable to anyone who'd, in the 10-15 years prior to that campaign, bought both McDonald's and Wendy's burgers. "Nothingburger" is not nearly as luculent.

About

Origin

Pet peeve of yours?

TY.

Pet peeve of yours?

I definitely have a pet peeve pertaining to one's using slang in serious, rather than jocular, discourse/prose or in discussion with others to whom one is a stranger.
All words origins. Using the phrase nothing burger allows for a more concise statement than explaining the same thought without the phrase. Expect nothing burger to take its place in the Oxford dictionary if it's not already there.

About

Origin

Pet peeve of yours?

TY.

Pet peeve of yours?

All words origins. Using the phrase nothing burger allows for a more concise statement than explaining the same thought without the phrase. Expect nothing burger to take its place in the Oxford dictionary if it's not already there.
Hmmm....Are "insignificant" (and/or its synonyms if one doesn't care for "insignificant") unfitting terms? They're all well understood and accepted members of standard English, and "insignificant" and several of its alternatives are also unambiguous and more concise than "nothing burger."

About

Origin

Pet peeve of yours?

TY.

Pet peeve of yours?

Hmmm....Are "insignificant" (and/or its synonyms if one doesn't care for "insignificant") unfitting terms? They're all well understood and accepted members of standard English, and "insignificant" and several of its alternatives are also unambiguous and more concise than "nothing burger."
"insignificant" does not quite covey what a nothing burger is. A nothing burger is insignificant even though there are high expectations of it being significant.
The Russian investigation is a nothing burger. There are high expectations of biting into that jucy delicious hamburger (the left is salivating over the possibility of impeaching Trump), but it turns out to be a nothing burger.

It's the same thing as a wishburger.

About

Origin

Pet peeve of yours?

TY.

Pet peeve of yours?

"insignificant" does not quite covey what a nothing burger is. A nothing burger is insignificant even though there are high expectations of it being significant.
The Russian investigation is a nothing burger. There are high expectations of biting into that jucy delicious hamburger (the left is salivating over the possibility of impeaching Trump), but it turns out to be a nothing burger.
Very well. In that case I'd go with "fruitless," "wantingly trite," or "wantingly trivial."

My point being that English already has words that as adequately as "nothing burger" convey the desired meanings you've noted. Now, frankly, I wouldn't take exception with "nothing burger" were it not oxymoronic. I expect new words and phrases to be coined. I just don't care for inane ones that spread like a fungus and, even as they do so, cannot by sound reasoning be understood. The combination of the ideas of nothingness and existentiality into one term defies rationality. We all know what nothingness is, and we all know what a burger is, and a burger is a very tangible "something."

BTW, the online Oxford dictionary does include "nothingburger." It lists it as slang (informal). As a slang term, I don't have any problem with the word. I often use slang, but rarely in conversations with strangers because slang terms often have a bent that is distinct to the speaker whereby when using a slang term, one can and may mean more or less than what is published in a dictionary. With standard terms, as individuals, we really have no such denotative or connotative discretionary privileges.

Nothing burger is a favorite talking point and phrase used by the trump cult leadership to placate the cult whenever they get caught in another one of their lies and scandals. It is a trigger used to put them into the "denial" mode.

it might not be as bad as a shit sandwich

Forum List

Back