What is an "ice age?"

Dex, do you believe the magnetic reversals seen in the sea floor plates is caused by the plates spinning or by the Earth's magnetic field flipping?

He's not good at that you know. He brought up an article from Jeff Masters (Weather Underground) that he claimed showed that "highly correlated balloon and satellite data showed no warming". Only problem was that was not what it said. And Jeff Masters is hardly a whack job denier.

He's not good at that you know. He brought up an article from Jeff Masters (Weather Underground) that he claimed showed that "highly correlated balloon and satellite data showed no warming". Only problem was that was not what it said. And Jeff Masters is hardly a whack job denier.

That article didn't come clean about the highly correlated nature of the data, but that's the slant of the article. The article admits what I've claimed, that in 2005 when atmospheric temperature readings from satellites and balloons both showed NO WARMING in the atmosphere, the TIPPYs decided to FUDGE the data, which oh by the way has not warmed since the FUDGING either...

Didn't warm before 2005
Didn't warm after 2005

The only time the atmosphere "warmed" was when the TIPPYs FUDGED the data in 2005.

How do you explain alternating magnetic stripes on the sea floor?

Give me a link about that. I thought the switching magnetic direction stuff came mostly from land. I KNOW some of it did. And land can spin like SA has.,..

I thought the "theory" was that the fields reverse every 100 million years or so.

That graphic suggests every 20 years or so. Obviously, it is a graphic to make a point, so 20 years is obviously not right. How often do these strips on the ocean floor suggest a field reversal?

I thought the "theory" was that the fields reverse every 100 million years or so.

That graphic suggests every 20 years or so. Obviously, it is a graphic to make a point, so 20 years is obviously not right. How often do these strips on the ocean floor suggest a field reversal?

Nope.

That graphic suggests every 20 years or so.

Nope.

Geomagnetic reversal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So 100k to 1 mil years...

OK

Still not ready to accept, but the ocean floor is a lot more convincing that the land based claims.

So 100k to 1 mil years...

OK

Still not ready to accept, but the ocean floor is a lot more convincing that the land based claims.

So, the options appear to be, the pole flips every 100k to 1 million years, which explains the magnetic stripes, versus your explanation that the stripes were caused by...........?

Here is the first of many pages of Wikipedia articles that mention the Earth's magnetic field reversal:

• Gauss-Matuyama reversal
    Gauss-Matuyama Reversal was a geologic event approximately 2.58 million years ago when the Earth's magnetic field underwent reversal. This event, which
    1 KB (84 words) - 23:43, 10 June 2014
  • Chronozone
    identification and analysis by the physical sciences (such as Earth's magnetic-fieldreversals or the location of a combination of chemical evidence in a
    5 KB (566 words) - 16:07, 16 July 2016
  • Nicholas Shackleton
    calcareous microfossils. Shackleton also found evidence that the Earth's lastmagnetic field reversal was 780,000 years ago. He became internationally known, in
    11 KB (1,119 words) - 13:18, 21 March 2016
  • Magnetization (redirect from Induced magnetic field)
    parent. Permeability (electromagnetism) Magnetic susceptibility Earth's magneticfield Geomagnetic reversal Geomagnetic excursion Magnetometer Orbital
    11 KB (1,438 words) - 19:57, 23 August 2016
  • Geomagnetic excursion (category Geomagnetic reversal)
    geomagnetic excursion, like a geomagnetic reversal, is a significant change in theEarth's magnetic field. Unlike reversals however, an excursion does not permanently
    7 KB (1,060 words) - 13:31, 17 December 2015
  • Superswell
    extended period in the time frame from 125 Ma to 40 Ma where the earth's magneticfield reversal frequency declines sharply. The last remnants of this superplume
    6 KB (737 words) - 17:13, 26 January 2016
  • Bernard Brunhes
    direction almost opposite to that of the present-day magnetic field. From this, he deduced that the magnetic North Pole of the time was close to the current
    2 KB (251 words) - 23:53, 25 March 2016
  • Occitania
    interferometer. Bernard Brunhes, geophysicist who discovered the Earth's magneticfield reversals. Giuseppe Peano, Italian mathematician, best known for his
    95 KB (11,368 words) - 05:27, 29 August 2016
  • Earth's magnetic field
    Earth's magnetic field, also known as the geomagnetic field, is the magnetic fieldthat extends from the Earth's interior out into space, where it meets
    64 KB (7,607 words) - 17:28, 29 August 2016
  • Geomagnetic reversal
    Polarity reversal (seismology). A geomagnetic reversal is a change in a planet'smagnetic field such that the positions of magnetic north and magnetic south
    36 KB (4,430 words) - 20:51, 27 July 2016
  • Magnetic field
    see Magnetic field (disambiguation). A magnetic field is the magnetic effect of electric currents and magnetic materials. The magnetic field at any
    86 KB (11,211 words) - 16:10, 29 August 2016
  • Earth (redirect from Earth’s surface)
    million years. The most recent reversal occurred approximately 700,000 years ago. The extent of Earth's magnetic field in space defines the magnetosphere
    158 KB (15,806 words) - 23:46, 29 August 2016
  • North Magnetic Pole
    The North Magnetic Pole is the point on the surface of Earth's Northern Hemisphere at which the planet's magnetic field points vertically downwards (in
    19 KB (2,347 words) - 20:59, 28 August 2016
  • Brunhes–Matuyama reversal
    reversal, named after Bernard Brunhes and Motonori Matuyama, was a geologic event, approximately 781,000 years ago, when the Earth's magnetic field last
    5 KB (492 words) - 18:30, 13 July 2016
  • Compass (redirect from Magnetic compass)
    the Earth's magnetic field. The magnetic field exerts a torque on the needle, pulling one end or pole of the needle approximately toward the Earth's North
    42 KB (5,769 words) - 13:41, 30 August 2016
  • Geomagnetic pole (section Geomagnetic reversal)
    hypothesis. Main article: Geomagnetic reversal Over the life of the Earth, the orientation of Earth's magnetic field has reversed many times, with geomagnetic
    6 KB (775 words) - 20:44, 1 June 2016
  • Paleomagnetism (section Fields of paleomagnetism)
    Palaeomagnetism in the United Kingdom) is the study of the record of the Earth'smagnetic field in rocks, sediment, or archeological materials. Certain minerals
    17 KB (1,960 words) - 02:21, 5 July 2016
  • Magnetic anomaly
    details on this topic, see Magnetic striping. In geophysics, a magnetic anomaly is a local variation in the Earth's magnetic field resulting from variations
    17 KB (1,810 words) - 16:30, 17 December 2015
  • Stellar magnetic field
    differential motion), the reversal of the magnetic field may not be very periodic. This is the case with the Earth's magnetic field, which is generated by
    17 KB (2,210 words) - 20:10, 22 June 2016
  • Geophysics
    sometimes refers only to the geological applications: Earth's shape; its gravitational and magnetic fields; its internal structure and composition; its dynamics
    39 KB (4,325 words) - 03:56, 26 July 2016
First page of Google results:

Geomagnetic reversal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Geo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediamagnetic_reversal
Wikipedia
Jump to Observing past fields - Past field reversals can be and have been recorded in the "frozen" ferromagnetic (or more accurately, ferrimagnetic) ...
History · ‎Observing past fields · ‎Geomagnetic polarity time scale
Magnetic Pole Reversal Happens All The (Geologic) Time - NASA
www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012-poleReversal.html
NASA
Nov 30, 2011 - The N-S markings of a compass would be 180 degrees wrong if the polarity of today'smagnetic field were reversed. Many doomsday theorists ...
Earth's magnetic field could flip within our lifetime – but don't worry, we ...
www.extremetech.com › Computing
ExtremeTech
Oct 21, 2014 - The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the movement of molten iron in ... The fact that there's no evidence that a reversal occurred after the ...
Earth's Magnetic Field Flip Could Happen Sooner Than Expected ...
www.scientificamerican.com/.../earth-s-magnetic-field-flip-could-...
Scientific American
Jul 9, 2014 - Changes measured by the Swarm satellite show that our magnetic field is weakening 10 times faster than originally predicted, especially over ...

Magnetic Field Reversal | Greatest Discoveries | Discovery Science
www.sciencechannel.com/tv.../100-greatest-discoveries-magnetic-field-reversal/
Bernard Brunhes' study of volvanic eruptions lead to the discovery of the earth's magnetic field reversal.
Ancient Huts May Reveal Clues to Earth's Magnetic Pole Reversals
www.space.com › Science & Astronomy
Space.com
Jul 28, 2015 - The remains of burnt out Iron Age huts in Africa hold clues into understanding a bizarre weak spot in the Earth's magnetic field and weird ...
Images for magnetic field reversalupload_2016-8-31_7-0-53.jpeg
upload_2016-8-31_7-0-53.jpeg
More images for magnetic field reversal
Magnetic Reversal – Official Data, All in One Place
magneticreversal.org/
MagneticReversal.org gathers data from NASA, NOAA, the ESA, the WDC for ... 5) Earth's magnetic field was weakening 5% per century, but now is weakening ...
Don't flip out: Earth's magnetic poles aren't about to switch | Science ...
https://www.sciencenews.org/.../don’t-flip-out-earth’s-magnetic-poles-ar...
Science News
by C Crockett - ‎Related articles
Nov 23, 2015 - Earth's waning magnetic field is returning to its long-term average, not heading toward a catastrophic magnetic reversal, new lava analysis ...
Magnetic Reversals
www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/reversals.html
British Geological Survey
Jump to Is the Earth's magnetic field reversing now? How do we know? - Measurements have been made of the Earth's magnetic field more or less ...

So, the options appear to be, the pole flips every 100k to 1 million years, which explains the magnetic stripes, versus your explanation that the stripes were caused by...........?

I never tried to explain the stripes. I explained how land based magnetic direction can be altered when the plate rotates like SA has.

The stripes are good evidence. I cannot refute them at this time, but I will continue to try....

I never tried to explain the stripes. I explained how land based magnetic direction can be altered when the plate rotates like SA has.

The stripes are good evidence. I cannot refute them at this time, but I will continue to try....

Backing off your claim that the magnetic field does not alternate?

Possibly, but it is also my duty to be diligent before I do. There are land based claims. Those claims are far less convincing than the sea floor stripes.

I do. I just do not parrot and jump to conclusions.

You do not.

Forum List

Back