Zone1 What Is Meant When It Is Said That a Person Has a White Supremacist Mindset (or is a Racist) - Part II With Required Sourcing & Citations

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
This thread is in response to the mods shutting down my thread because I didn't include specific citations to my sources, not that they are read, let alone believed. But I've posting this information for decades but have never consolidated everything simply because there is so much of it, but I'm also in the process of learning the proper way to present it.

This is the original thread with my comments in red:
Zone1 - What Is Meant When It Is Said That a Person Has a White Supremacist Mindset (or is a Racist)

And for those who prefer visualizations to text:
Zone1 - 25 simple charts to show friends and family who aren't convinced racism is still a problem in America
  1. General Definition:
    • Racism is generally defined as "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior" (Oxford Languages) .
  2. Institutional Racism:
    • Institutional Racism refers to "the policies and practices within and across institutions that, intentionally or not, produce outcomes that chronically favor, or put a racial group at a disadvantage" (Aspen Institute) .
  3. Systemic Racism:
    • Systemic Racism is a form of racism that is "embedded in the laws and regulations of a society or an organization" (Encyclopedia Britannica) . It manifests in the disparities in wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power, and education, among other factors.
  4. Historical Context:
    • The term racism in the United States is deeply tied to its history of slavery, segregation, and ongoing discrimination. It refers to the historic and current systemic inequities experienced by African Americans and other people of color (National Museum of African American History and Culture) .
  5. Cultural Racism:
    • Cultural Racism is "the cultural images and messages that affirm the assumed superiority of whites and the assumed inferiority of people of color" (Teaching Tolerance, Southern Poverty Law Center) .
  6. Interpersonal Racism:
    • Interpersonal Racism occurs in interactions between individuals. This includes public expressions of racial prejudice, hate, bias, and bigotry between individuals (University of California, San Francisco) .
  7. Structural Racism:
    • Structural Racism encompasses the "systemic and interconnected set of policies, practices, and norms that perpetuate racial group inequity in every key sphere of life" (Race Forward) .
  8. Environmental Racism:
    • Environmental Racism refers to the "disproportionate impact of environmental hazards on people of color" (United Church of Christ) . This includes the location of hazardous waste facilities and other environmental risks in predominantly minority communities.
  9. Racial Microaggressions:
    • Racial Microaggressions are "the brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial slights and insults toward people of color" (Derald Wing Sue et al., Columbia University) .
  10. Critical Race Theory:
    • Critical Race Theory (CRT) is an academic framework that posits that "racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies" (American Bar Association) .

Sources:​

1. Oxford Languages. Definition of racism. Retrieved from Oxford Languages.
  2. Aspen Institute. Glossary for Understanding the Dismantling Structural Racism/Promoting Racial Equity Analysis. Retrieved from Aspen Institute.
  3. Encyclopedia Britannica. Racism. Retrieved from Encyclopedia Britannica.
  4. National Museum of African American History and Culture. Talking About Race. Retrieved from NMAAHC.
  5. Teaching Tolerance, Southern Poverty Law Center. What Is Racism? Retrieved from Teaching Tolerance.
  6. University of California, San Francisco. Definitions of Racism. Retrieved from UCSF.
  7. Race Forward. Key Concepts: Structural Racism. Retrieved from Race Forward.
  8. United Church of Christ. Toxic Wastes and Race. Retrieved from UCC.
  9. Sue, D. W., et al. (2007). Racial Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Implications for Clinical Practice. American Psychologist, 62(4), 271-286. Retrieved from APA PsycNet.
  10. American Bar Association. What is Critical Race Theory? Retrieved from American Bar Association.

• Brilliant
Reactions: IM2
This thread is in response to the mods shutting down my thread because I didn't include specific citations to my sources, not that they are read, let alone believed. But I've posting this information for decades but have never consolidated everything simply because there is so much of it, but I'm also in the process of learning the proper way to present it.

Zone1 - What Is Meant When It Is Said That a Person Has a White Supremacist Mindset (or is a Racist)

Zone1 - 25 simple charts to show friends and family who aren't convinced racism is still a problem in America
  1. General Definition:
    • Racism is generally defined as "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior" (Oxford Languages) .
  2. Institutional Racism:
    • Institutional Racism refers to "the policies and practices within and across institutions that, intentionally or not, produce outcomes that chronically favor, or put a racial group at a disadvantage" (Aspen Institute) .
  3. Systemic Racism:
    • Systemic Racism is a form of racism that is "embedded in the laws and regulations of a society or an organization" (Encyclopedia Britannica) . It manifests in the disparities in wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power, and education, among other factors.
  4. Historical Context:
    • The term racism in the United States is deeply tied to its history of slavery, segregation, and ongoing discrimination. It refers to the historic and current systemic inequities experienced by African Americans and other people of color (National Museum of African American History and Culture) .
  5. Cultural Racism:
    • Cultural Racism is "the cultural images and messages that affirm the assumed superiority of whites and the assumed inferiority of people of color" (Teaching Tolerance, Southern Poverty Law Center) .
  6. Interpersonal Racism:
    • Interpersonal Racism occurs in interactions between individuals. This includes public expressions of racial prejudice, hate, bias, and bigotry between individuals (University of California, San Francisco) .
  7. Structural Racism:
    • Structural Racism encompasses the "systemic and interconnected set of policies, practices, and norms that perpetuate racial group inequity in every key sphere of life" (Race Forward) .
  8. Environmental Racism:
    • Environmental Racism refers to the "disproportionate impact of environmental hazards on people of color" (United Church of Christ) . This includes the location of hazardous waste facilities and other environmental risks in predominantly minority communities.
    • Racial Microaggressions are "the brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial slights and insults toward people of color" (Derald Wing Sue et al., Columbia University) .
    • Critical Race Theory (CRT) is an academic framework that posits that "racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies" (American Bar Association) .

2. Aspen Institute. Glossary for Understanding the Dismantling Structural Racism/Promoting Racial Equity Analysis. Retrieved from Aspen Institute.
  4. National Museum of African American History and Culture. Talking About Race. Retrieved from NMAAHC.
  5. Teaching Tolerance, Southern Poverty Law Center. What Is Racism? Retrieved from Teaching Tolerance.
  6. University of California, San Francisco. Definitions of Racism. Retrieved from UCSF.
  9. Sue, D. W., et al. (2007). Racial Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Implications for Clinical Practice. American Psychologist, 62(4), 271-286. Retrieved from APA PsycNet.
  10. American Bar Association. What is Critical Race Theory? Retrieved from American Bar Association.

That seems like a waste of a bunch of words to me. In reality, having a "white supremacist" or "racist" mindset is not really against the law. Nobody's ever been arrested or charged with a crime for thinking bad things, and very seldom can people be arrested for speaking what they're thinking. It's called the "First Amendment", and it's not like we live in the UK or Canada.

It's only an offense when someone commits a crime when acting upon what they're thinking or speaking.

1. General Definition:
  2. Institutional Racism:
  3. Systemic Racism:
  4. Historical Context:
  5. Cultural Racism:
  6. Interpersonal Racism:
  7. Structural Racism:
  8. Environmental Racism:

Biden created systematic racism

Forum List

Back