What is wrong with the FCC's news monitoring

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard
Fearing another thread, I thought I'd take a stap, but first it would be helpful to at least understand what the FCC is doing. The FCC purportedly wants to learn whether people are getting the news/information that deem important. The FCC contracted with some private polling company. The methodology is summarized below, and you can find the actual information by tracking down an internet link to the company's website describing their effort. I linked it yesterday. I found it by using "fairness doctrine" as a search term.

6 geographical areas are divided by various population categories, ethnic, disadvantaged, etc. There are (I think ) 8 general categories of news, weather and such. A sampling in each group is asked to identify what story was important within each category.

Then various new outlets, like tv and radio stations and newspapers are combed to see if they covered the stories. Also, the study seeks to match the ethnic/socio-econ/age group the news outlets say is there audience with the population category sampled. For example, is there a tv station that says it serves a latino population, but doesn't report what latinos said was important.

At this point, it seems innocuous. The FCC allocates space on radio and broadcast tv. It has an interest. HOWEVER, WHAT WILL THE FCC DO WITH THE INFO

In the civil rights era, the FCC forced minority owned media into markets by taking away (or not renewing) licenses from whites. I think its a fair bet that all news radio will not be catering to this market.

Imo, the results would be a useful tool. Unlike 1960, there is no minority group that isn't allowed to buy goods anywhere they want, or to vote (well the gop's gonna get rid of that maybe, but still). But if there's some group that advertisers aren't reaching .... I see an economic opportunity for private news providers.

BUT IS THE FCC GOING TO USE A FAIRNESS view that seeks to have all groups served by all kinds of media? Seriously, is the gummit gonna argue that some poor group isn't being adequately informed?

Fearing another thread, I thought I'd take a stap, but first it would be helpful to at least understand what the FCC is doing. The FCC purportedly wants to learn whether people are getting the news/information that deem important. The FCC contracted with some private polling company. The methodology is summarized below, and you can find the actual information by tracking down an internet link to the company's website describing their effort. I linked it yesterday. I found it by using "fairness doctrine" as a search term.

6 geographical areas are divided by various population categories, ethnic, disadvantaged, etc. There are (I think ) 8 general categories of news, weather and such. A sampling in each group is asked to identify what story was important within each category.

Then various new outlets, like tv and radio stations and newspapers are combed to see if they covered the stories. Also, the study seeks to match the ethnic/socio-econ/age group the news outlets say is there audience with the population category sampled. For example, is there a tv station that says it serves a latino population, but doesn't report what latinos said was important.

At this point, it seems innocuous.

No it doesn't. At that point the danger is crystal clear.

At this point, it seems innocuous. The FCC allocates space on radio and broadcast tv. It has an interest. HOWEVER, WHAT WILL THE FCC DO WITH THE INFO

In the civil rights era, the FCC forced minority owned media into markets by taking away (or not renewing) licenses from whites. I think its a fair bet that all news radio will not be catering to this market.

Imo, the results would be a useful tool. Unlike 1960, there is no minority group that isn't allowed to buy goods anywhere they want, or to vote (well the gop's gonna get rid of that maybe, but still). But if there's some group that advertisers aren't reaching .... I see an economic opportunity for private news providers.

BUT IS THE FCC GOING TO USE A FAIRNESS view that seeks to have all groups served by all kinds of media? Seriously, is the gummit gonna argue that some poor group isn't being adequately informed?

In a word, everything.

No, not everything. For example, in an urban area with a high % of latinos, it would not surprise me if they were getting info they consider important via radio. That might fly in the face of assumptions about clear channel.

IN my urban area, I think they'd find that the 33% or so whites receive info largely though tv, and that has implications of whether they feel adequately informed.

If the information is used to make it easier for new outlets to enter communication markets, govt is actually doing it's job under Thatcherism. If the information is used to remove some providers from a market, because govt deems them to need replacing, then its very dangerous

Meanwhile, Democrats in The U.S. Senate are caucusing over the most serious matter to come to their attention in decades!

Whether to rename Washington "Beijing West" or "Caracas North" in respect of the proposed Federal Ministry of Truth effort to sanitize the news media.

One of the people that Obama was considering appointing to the FCC, and I don't remember if he got appointed or not, actually stated that he felt that broadcast stations should lose their licenses if they were owned by Whites until a quota of minority owned stations were in the same market.

The FCC has neither the mandate nor the authority to poll the viewing habits of citizens. Leave it to the left to bring up a race issue where there is clearly no such thing involved.

I don't think the media is any of the government's business. So what are they going to do if they find a population of people who are not getting the news they want?

Nothing - I hope. Because it's not for the government to meddle with the press. So if they can't do anything about the results, why waste money on the study?

But have.

1. NSA spying on Americans without warrant.

2. Killing of Americans, by drone, without due process.

3. What we are hearing about monitoring news rooms.

The only way these would have been good is if they were done to the extent they are today during the Bush administration. If they had then a lot of liberals would be dead from swallowing their tongue in outrage.

The FCC has neither the mandate nor the authority to poll the viewing habits of citizens. Leave it to the left to bring up a race issue where there is clearly no such thing involved.

That's untrue. The fcc's charge is

"make available so far as possible, to all the people of the United States, without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex, rapid, efficient, Nation-wide, and world-wide wire and radio communication services with adequate facilities at reasonable charges."

This controversy is actually illuminating in that it POSSIBLY pits two different views of govts role.

Thatcherism: the only legit reason for govt is to facilitate private entities getting into and out of markets. This view believes private markets will best serve people who desire a good or commodity

"the bad liberal:" govt must act to make sure every citizen is served an appropriate amount of information. This view distrusts people acting in their own self-interest.

What the FCC has done so far could fit into either view. I think it bears close scrutiny, however.

But have.

1. NSA spying on Americans without warrant.

2. Killing of Americans, by drone, without due process.

3. What we are hearing about monitoring news rooms.

The only way these would have been good is if they were done to the extent they are today during the Bush administration. If they had then a lot of liberals would be dead from swallowing their tongue in outrage.

Yep. It always seems innocuous but never is, just more invasive.

As you asked what is the government going to do with this information? Create a market for some individual with the results? IOW doing the research for someone who can do their own research.

The private individual you mention can do the study and not off the taxpayers dollar. There is no reason for the FCC to do this study unless they intend on acting on the results IMO.

Its really none of the FCC's business knowing what demographics, questions, or news topics being discussed. Its as simple as that.
Right. It's more of the same from Big Government, and dare I say an affront to the First Amendment?

And also? Remember the Fairness Doctrine? It's an end-run attempt to get rid of Talk Radio and ANY media the Government doesn't like.

Isn't it ALWAYS their tactic to use RACE and "Minorities" and give them a fair shot in the marketplace of ideas? It's an attempt to silence entities the Government doesn't approve of, plain and simple. Remember the "Fairness Doctrine"?

Yeah, you're right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, comrade. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back